CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-11-2012, 02:49 PM   #1
Jason Wuennecke

Profile:
Just started 4 weeks ago

I'm so glad I was found out about CrossFit. It honestly feels like the next step of my evolution in my journey to get myself into shape.

When I started I weighed in at 305(ish) and my first step was to get on the eliptical machine in the weight room at my apartment complex. By weight room I mean a 25 year old "everything" machine and a couple bikes, treadmills, and eliptical machines. I got on there and 5 minutes later (on the lowest and easiest setting) I was gasping for breath and barely able to walk back home.

Now a little over a year later, 60 lbs lighter, 3x as strong and infinitely more endurance than what I started with I thought I was getting into pretty good shape...until I tried CrossFit a few weeks ago. I knew I still had a ways to go, you just don't destroy your body for a decade and expect to get it back right away but damn, talk about a rude awakening. I had been lifting with barbells for about 6 months before I started so many of the movements were already familiar thanks to the book Starting Strength.

What was unfamiliar though was the sheer intensity of the workouts. I had never pushed myself like this before; my glaring lack of endurance and stamina really showed and I was completely unprepared. I made it through the first workout but only just. When I got done I thought "WTF was I thinking?!!" But I went back again and a third time and a fourth. Now I'm doing the program a solid 4 days a week. The change in my energy level, stamina, endurance, and the overall "usability" of my body seems so far above and beyond what it was even 4 weeks ago that I almost want to say I feel like I doubled my overall athletic ability from what I was able to accomplish whole previous year before. I can't wait to see what I can do in another 4 weeks let alone the next year.

Going into it I had my doubts as there is a pretty good amount of smack talk about CrossFit in your typical gym circles but I'm glad I decided to see for myself.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:33 PM   #2
Russ Hillis

Profile:
Re: Just started 4 weeks ago

Just wait, it get's better.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:27 PM   #3
Helen M Brennan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Hillis View Post
Just wait, it get's better.
man aint that the truth!!!!!!!!!

H
Old 05-12-2012, 08:56 AM   #4
Lynn Martin

Profile:

Thank you for posting this! Your story is much more inspiring for the "average" American than the stories of former athletes who come to cross fit.

I love the way you phrased it- an evolution of a journey to get into shape. Isn't that what life is pretty much all about, in any endeavor?

I, too have been in evolution- for almost 20 years now. First it was recovery from a major illness that caused significant weight gain, then slowly losing the weight- much in the way you describe. Then starting to work with weight lifting, and finally moving on to something that looks more like "training" in preparation for a specific event.

There have been ups and downs and setbacks along the way. But I continue to evolve.