CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 07-21-2011, 10:01 AM   #1
Melissa Shields

Profile:
Frustrated

I have been doing Crossfit since January, I felt that in the past few months I was making gains daily both in weight lifting and endurance. Last month I got a really nasty upper respiratory cold that lasted 2 horrible weeks. Now I am struggling at every workout! I come in last at any running we do and before I would at least be in the middle or one of the first to finish...my trainers are wonderful, they stop me when they see me struggling and give me tons of positive reinforcement. But is them stoping me really helping me or should I fight through it?

I have also been going home and running a mile on the treadmill for time to try and build endurance, is this a good idea? Any endurance suggestions?

Thanks
Old 07-21-2011, 10:09 AM   #2
Kent Newland

Profile:
Re: Frustrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa Shields View Post
I have been doing Crossfit since January, I felt that in the past few months I was making gains daily both in weight lifting and endurance. Last month I got a really nasty upper respiratory cold that lasted 2 horrible weeks. Now I am struggling at every workout! I come in last at any running we do and before I would at least be in the middle or one of the first to finish...my trainers are wonderful, they stop me when they see me struggling and give me tons of positive reinforcement. But is them stoping me really helping me or should I fight through it?

I have also been going home and running a mile on the treadmill for time to try and build endurance, is this a good idea? Any endurance suggestions?

Thanks
I had bronchitis twice, once in the desert and once when I got home. These things take a while to come back from, and something that lasted two weeks takes a tremendous toll on your body, all parts of it. I understand how frustrating it is to lose progress, but if you back off the extra work and just do what your box is programming, I'm betting that you'll come back faster than if you just keep pushing yourself. I'm no expert, but this has been my experience.

Kent
Old 07-21-2011, 10:12 AM   #3
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

A few bad weeks do not define your overall training experience. Focus on the big picture and keep making progress and you'll be fine.

I would recommend backing off the extra running. It's unlikely that it's doing you much good. You've gotta consider what you're trying to get out of it...more is not always better.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:15 AM   #4
Michael Pilhofer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
...more is not always better.
Understatement of the year. Agreed 1000%
www.CrossFitMSP.com
Old 07-21-2011, 11:27 AM   #5
Russell D Wells

Profile:

Melissa,

Don't be so hard on yourself, my daughter, who is only 16 had an upper respiratory infection that only lasted a little over a week, she runs track at her H.S. and the coach had her lay off of the running for two additional weeks. Our CF trainer would not even let her in the box until her coach let her start running again.

Maybe an additional day of rest per week would be good right now.

Just a thought.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:34 PM   #6
Melissa Shields

Profile:

Thanks guys! I tend to be a little hard on myself when it comes to working out. Thanks for putting things back into perspective!:thanx