CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 12-07-2010, 11:24 AM   #1
Nicholas Wheeler

Profile:
Hi all (& looking for a workout partner!)

Hey everyone. I've made a few posts around the boards and been reading them for about a month now. Nothing exciting I know, but here's a little about me.

US Marine, did 5 years active duty, now I am a reservist and my full time job is a civilian with the Navy. I work at Norfolk Naval base and am pretty new to crossfit (about a month in now).

My entire time as a Marine I didn't care about fitness/nutrition/myself really. I got by with the basic command/unit workouts 2-3 times a week and never EVER worked out on my own, EVER! After joining the reserves I weighed myself one day and realized I was overweight for my height and had a few months to lose that weight. As a Sergeant of junior Marines, this was unnacceptable. I wanted to lose the weight, I wanted to look good! Not knowing where to start, I took the commercial route and completed P90X and had wonderful results. I lost 30 lbs in the 3 months. After completing P90X I rolled right into doing Insanity (the girlfriend wanted to do it), didn't see any too noticeable gains on it, which was surprising because I very diligently followed my diet. Maybe because it was 80% crazy cardio, who knows. I was in good enough shape, and sadly, the best shape of my life (I even skimped on workouts as much as possible in boot camp!)

After finishing Insanity I had no routine, just kind of did whichever video I felt like and it was hard to stay committed without the regimen. Then I was invited to a crossfit class (www.swfft.com) and loved pretty much everything about it. There are only 2 classes a week, but I'm trying to follow the WOD's as closely as I can (I scale like crazy).

So that's my basic story, oh, 27/m/5'9/155lbs - I would like to have a person (hopefully that works at norfolk naval) to workout with when I don't have classes. I've never lifted a barbell in my life until now, so I'm pretty intimidated to do those moves on my own. I watch instructional videos and read about it before doing it to prevent injury. If anyone is interested hit me up here, or if you are interested in joining the group at swfft, it would be awesome to have more people there too. We are a pretty small outfit, only about 8 people so far and working to get better.

TL : DR - hi everyone, I'm nick. New to crossfit. Work/workout @ norfolk naval. Would be awesome to have a workout partner!
Old 12-07-2010, 12:15 PM   #2
Nicholas Wheeler

Profile:
Re: Hi all (& looking for a workout partner!)

crap - forgot to note - www.swfft.com is WFS - I don't see an edit button currently, hence the second post. Sorry.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:15 PM   #3
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Check out the "In Search of CFers" thread. With all the military near Norfolk (especially the types that hang out over at Little Creek) you shouldn't have any trouble finding someone to work out with.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:09 PM   #4
Adam Hesch

Profile:

Nick - I'm moving in January to the Norfolk/Va Beach area, have a full set of bumpers, KB's etc, and am getting certified this weekend (if I pass the test!)

Stay in touch and we can most definitely get in some wods.

Lastly - awesome to see there's some surface warriors getting into crossfit - my first career choice in the USN didn't work out so I'm off to get haze gray and underway in VA.... when I'm not doing a WOD that is.... look forward to maybe contributing to and learning from yall
Old 12-17-2010, 10:01 AM   #5
Scott Ponte

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Wheeler View Post
TL : DR - hi everyone, I'm nick. New to crossfit. Work/workout @ norfolk naval. Would be awesome to have a workout partner!
Reddit?
Old 01-20-2011, 08:10 AM   #6
Nicholas Wheeler

Profile:

After reading through the forums some more, I decided to join an affiliate, I now train with Compound Crossfit(WFS), and LOVE it. Best decision I've ever made, and heck, it's a whopping 2.5 miles from my house, how perfect!