CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-03-2010, 01:43 PM   #1
Christopher Brophy

Profile:
New 12 week cycle help

After taking time off last year I just finished my 1st 12 week cycle back and happy with the results. I am doing a 4 on 2 off system which works for me. In these 4 days I do 2 strength days...shoulders and back one day and legs and chest one day...I then do 2 heavy metcon days and 3 cfe runs or 3 depending on how I feel...I made pretty good improvement for the 1st 3 months and most of my gains came the last month

My questions are the following.

1.My goals are to squat 300 before the end of the year...I maxed out at 266...I did back squats, Bulg. split squats for the legs...I thought for the next 3 months I would do front sqts and box squats...would it be too much to do them together or just back off back sqts all together for 3 months?

2 For my back I did deadlifts and i arm rows...my dl maxed out at 280...my goal is to do 300 by the end of the year...I am not sure what exercise to use for the next 3 months for my back...can I continue to do dl's or is there another exercise to do?

3.same thing for shoulders...my max being 120 I would like to get to 185...any other options to improve the presses fro the next 3 months or just continu with standing barbell presses?

4.I mainly focused on 4 heavy metcons I did each week so I could keep track of my gains:

a. amrap in 10 minutes of 135ld dl and (10 reps) and 10 pushups
b.5 rds in 10 minutes of 5 tire flips, 5 pullups, 10 pushups and 5 burpees
c.135lb front sq and 400 m run...3 rds

5.would follow cfe as I want to improve my 5k run to 20 minutes..I am at 27 right now

I am not following the mainsite now as I am looking to improve my stremgth and I like the setup...I am 42, 5'5, 142lbs

Thanks a head of time for any ideas

chris
Old 05-03-2010, 02:32 PM   #2
Tim Nakashima

Profile:
Re: New 12 week cycle help

What do your typical days look like? I would recommend mixing up the metcons--constantly varied! (Cleans, PC's, bench, snatch, OH squat, box jumps, ring dips, muscle ups, double unders, sit-ups, GHD SU's/BE's, kb swings, HSPU's, etc)

Also, you said you used 4 heavy metcons to track results, but the ones you listed weren't heavy judging by the weights of the lifts you listed.
If you did stick with those, I'd change them to something like:
a. amrap in 10 minutes of 225# dl, 3 reps and 6 pushups with weight vest or bench press.
b.5 rds in 10 minutes of 5 tire flips, 5 (weighted) pullups, and 5 clapping burpees
c.185# front sq and 400 m run...3 rds

For your programming I'd probably break it down into a CFSB type split as I've had great results with it, but there's plenty of other options out there.

Day 1:
Squats 3x5 or 3x3
(High Rep Squats Optional)
Heavy Metcon
CFE

Day 2:
DL 3x5 or 3x3
(HR DL Optional)
Heavy Metcon

Day 3:
Metcon only
CFE?

Day 4:
Press 3x5 or 3x3
(HR Press Optional)
Heavy Metcon
CFE

Make sure you start out at about 80% of your 3 or 5 rep max to start, and increase 2.5-10# each time.

Last edited by Tim Nakashima : 05-03-2010 at 02:39 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:13 PM   #3
Stephen Yosypiw

Profile:

I reckon you're trying to shoot for too many things at once, but if it's working for you then keep going until it stops working.
Agree with Tim, the CFSB style seems to work alright here. I'd switch deadlifts and press so you have 2 days to recover before your enxt workout after DLs.

To help us help you, what are your numbers, like height, weight, bf, etc?

Just curious, why do you have such a high goal for the press and lower goals for the DL and BS? The latter two seem quite easy compared to the 65lb increase for the press.

For heavy metcons, look at the hybrid metcons thread, it'll give you a better idea.

Tim- What do you mean by clapping burpees? Never heard of them before..
Old 05-03-2010, 08:43 PM   #4
Casey Crooks

Profile:

With your current numbers you could reap very quick and large gains from Starting Strength. Even if you only do it for 6 weeks. Then get back into metcon work.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:47 PM   #5
Samuel Hughes

Profile:

Well, since you mention fitness it's tougher but...for someone looking to make gains, Starting Strength is hard to beat. From what I gather (I personally never did the program), it will be the quickest route to hitting the numbers you want, but you really have to buy in to the program. Once you get those numbers, start worrying about that 5k time (via more of your heavy metcons).

If I were to re-start, I'd go with starting strength until I got my goals then switch to something like Gant's Hybrid.

Last edited by Samuel Hughes : 05-03-2010 at 08:50 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:22 PM   #6
Tim Nakashima

Profile:

Yeah switching deads would probably make more sense. Don't know why I didn't see that, guess I was just going more off the CFSB programming.

Clapping burpees aren't anything special, just doing a clapping push-up at the bottom before jumping back up.

Tim