CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 02-09-2006, 07:22 AM   #1
Graham Hayes

Profile:
I was doing the '1 pull up 1st min, 2 pull ups 2nd min...etc' workout yesterday at the gym on a cable cross pull up system similar to this. It's not bolted down so when I was doing my pull ups the frame was shaking, sometimes a lot and certainly enough to get the gym trainer to ask me to stop kipping. I told him 'no', but made an effort to be more gentle.

Anyway, later on I was thinking about the shaking frame and wondered if it was evidence of the kipping pull ups violent nature or evidence of inefficient kipping. Presumably any horizontal forces that go into the frame, causing it to shake, aren't moving me up; therefore, wasted energy. Then again, I'm moving pretty fast...

What d'yall think?
Old 02-09-2006, 08:08 AM   #2
Matthew Nielsen

Profile:
lol @ enough to get the gym trainer to ask me to stop kipping. I told him 'no'
Old 02-09-2006, 08:42 AM   #3
Travis Rieber

Profile:
Same problem at my gym. I've had to learned to do kipping pull-ups without shaking the frame too hard. The "non-shaking" pull-ups seem easier on the joints but they're harder physically since I use extra effort to control the lowering of my body.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:15 AM   #4
Stanley Kunnathu

Profile:
100% efficient would mean that all power generated by your body would be used to accelerate your body upwards. You are closer to achieving that if the apparatus is fixed.

Because your power is split being between moving the apparatus AND moving your body, you are less than 100%.

Kipping itself is not inefficient (depending on your goals).

After re-reading this, it is possible to have an inefficient kip if your technique is off. But, that has more to do with correctly summating forces. Said another way: A bad kip on a solid frame may be less efficient than a good kip on a wobbly frame.

I feel like I'm rambling now.

(Message edited by Xfitter on February 09, 2006)
Old 02-09-2006, 09:52 AM   #5
Roger Harrell

Profile:
I disagree, a good kip is going to move an unachored pull up station. There is some horizontal force in a strong kip. An unanchored station will hinder a good kipping pullup.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:03 AM   #6
Paul Findley

Profile:
If you look at the base of the machine and see bolt holes...well then...I think your gym has a safety hazzard and needs to bolt that thing down and quickly!
Old 02-12-2006, 02:56 PM   #7
Graham Hayes

Profile:
Cheers Coach Harrell, I figured it out now...no amount of kipping efficiency will get me kipping well on rings. So obvious now...
Old 02-12-2006, 03:59 PM   #8
Jason Steele

Profile:
Tell the trainer to maintain his equipment properly and you wouldn't be shaking it when you kip!
Old 02-12-2006, 04:00 PM   #9
Garrett Smith

Profile:
A Chinese kip (front/back wave) will definitely shake/tip the frame, an American (frog kick, up/down wave) will not shake/tip the frame so much. I've almost tipped unanchored squat cages over from kipping so violently.

I just started doing pullups in my garage gym, setting the squat posts high enough that the bar gives me clearance to do L-pullups. No kipping is happening there!
Old 02-14-2006, 01:36 PM   #10
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
At the cert. they hung pull-up bars from tubular webbing, kind of like a trapeze. With about 5 people on them, you either got a great kip (when timed with the majority) or your kip died (when off of other peoples rhythm). Any movement bleeds off energy, throw some DBs on the base to stabilize it or, if possible, put a bar on the rack (away from where your kipping) with some weight on it.