CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 02-20-2010, 02:17 PM   #1
Neil Duncan

Profile:
elbow locking/clicking painfully

This is a problem that surfaced a while back, talking over a year but never bothered me to the point of having to stop training.. If I had been for example doing a pulling movement then extend my arm it would feel like something is pinching in my elbow and stopping the movement.. if it was forcefully being stretching out (hanging onto something) it would make a rather loud crack and sometimes hurt.. Recently it's resurfaced with a vengance and almost feels like I can just curl my arm back to scratch my ear or someting and its locking and/or cracking painfully..

Not really sure WHAT this could be, since it's come back I've stopped any pushing movements but have to continue doing some pulling with my shoulder rehab.. have upped fish oils to 12x 1g caps daily, I'm ice/heat and icing it also self massage and stretching it, but to hardly any improvement... any ideas guys??
Old 02-20-2010, 04:23 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: elbow locking/clicking painfully

From all your shoulder and knee and elbow problems do you have naturally lax joints / hypermobility / 'double jointedness' ? Or are you on the opposite side of the spectrum with extreme tightness in muscle groups?

Most cases with elbow problems is that because of improper mobility at the shoulder you get improper torquing/twisting stress at the elbow which tends to end up leading to articulation problems.

The other alternative in many cases is muscle imbalances between the elbow extensors and flexors.

Do you know specifically if you have a significant discrepancy in your biceps/triceps?

Otherwise, given your history I'd likely assume the former...
Old 02-20-2010, 04:33 PM   #3
Everett Steinbarger

Profile:

If you are having real locking of the elbow, the most common cause is a loose body. Either articular cartilage or a fragment of osteophyte created by arthritis. If it's been a year, I would suggest seeing your doc and getting it checked out.

I have seen people lose range from having a muscular imbalance as Steven is suggesting, but I have never seen true locking of the elbow because of it.
Rule #1: Crossfit. Zombies lead a very active life. So should you.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:35 AM   #4
Neil Duncan

Profile:

Steven - I have probably got what you would describe as lax joints - elbows seem to hyperextend easy etc, wouldn't particuarly say double jointed. Yet could still be brought on by the lack of care I've taken with my body and constant bad posture for years at a desk.. As for discrepancy between triceps/biceps do you mean on one arm or between both arms? - Right arm is bigger slightly in looks (but very small in measurement) and weaker than my left, and the right is the one which suffers most with shoulder/elbow.

Everett - Yeah I'd heard that explanation before somewhere, doesn't that require arthoscopic surgery to fix? - I bloody hope it's not that lol.
Old 02-21-2010, 03:38 AM   #5
Everett Steinbarger

Profile:

Neil, yeah, that would require a scope to fix. If it is a muscular imbalance as suggested, that would be a lot easier to deal with.

A simple set of good X-Rays usually can show the loose body, or the defect in the bony articulation where they come from. Sometimes an MRI is helpful. The reason I would suggest this is that if you have a loose body rolling around in there, it could be damaging articular cartilage each time it gets crushed btwn the ulna and the humerus.

Questions for you: Does it ever feel as though the joint gets stuck in position out of nowhere? Is it the same position each time or does it change? By your original post, it sounds as though it's mostly occurring at the end of extension, with your elbow out straight. Does the "sticking/cracking" feel as though it is occurring at the back of the elbow where the ulna and humerus meet?
Old 02-21-2010, 06:16 AM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:

Yeah, I'd be inclined to go with what Everett said if you're locking in random position
Old 02-21-2010, 11:14 AM   #7
Neil Duncan

Profile:

Yeah thats about right, I'd say always 3/4 or slightly more extended it locks, and it's definatly where those bones meet. Happens rarely on the left arm, quite often on the right.

Looks like another visit to the docs then! - Is the surgery something that will keep you out for a long time? I hope they would do one elbow at a time or I'd be a right cabbage lol
Old 02-21-2010, 02:00 PM   #8
Everett Steinbarger

Profile:

I wouldn't say right off that you have to have surgery, wait until a surgeon that has actually laid his/her hands on you says it. Get the definitive diagnosis, then proceed from there.

If you have an arthroscopy and loose bodies are removed, you will be back in short order. (About 6 weeks).

If you have advanced arthritic change and require something aggressive such as an Outerbridge-Kashiwagi procedure, then you are looking at about 3 months to heal sufficiently before you can restart training.
Old 02-21-2010, 02:38 PM   #9
Neil Duncan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett Steinbarger View Post
I wouldn't say right off that you have to have surgery, wait until a surgeon that has actually laid his/her hands on you says it. Get the definitive diagnosis, then proceed from there.

If you have an arthroscopy and loose bodies are removed, you will be back in short order. (About 6 weeks).

If you have advanced arthritic change and require something aggressive such as an Outerbridge-Kashiwagi procedure, then you are looking at about 3 months to heal sufficiently before you can restart training.
Right, as ever, get a correct diagnosis first before I worry

Theres a chance it could be that to be honest, read up a bit since you posted this and its likely caused by too many hyperextensions of the arm during grappling
Old 02-21-2010, 03:20 PM   #10
Everett Steinbarger

Profile:

Yeah, hyperextensions are easy to go too far with.

What type of MA do you practice? I've been to your website but my browser will not allow me to navigate it very well.