CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 11-29-2009, 02:16 AM   #1
Jakub Marciniec

Profile:
can this work?

Okie dokie this might be a tricky one or one that’s been thrown around a bit but here we go.

Iv been an avid crossfitter for a while now, iv been solidly doing it for a few months now but been interested in the concept for close to 3 years… I know I know, slow learner…

Anyway I’m also very passionate about my Krav Maga and am good friends with my instructor and everyone there. Coming from a PT background iv been asked to be the studios ‘conditioning coach’ and also in time train to be a KM instructor. But in the mean time I want to bring crossfit to all the students there.

I’m level 1 certified and have been preaching the crossfit word for a while now but want to really teach it.

So this is really my question. I understand that I can call myself a CF trainer after you have been to the cert and iv been doing that with my current clients, but you cannot call your classes ‘crossfit’ or have it on your time table or use the name for advertising so obviously I haven’t been doing that but I would like to! Because I really want people to know that what they are learning is crossfit and that is what I teach.

Now the KM gym is just that, it’s a KM studio, not a CF box, we are lacking bumpers and a few other things but hopefully that will change as iv requested a budged for some toys. But like I said, first and foremost it is a KM sutdio.

My question is can I still affiliate? We can have a page on the KM site which is dedicated to CF, posting the wods, having the journal ect. I want to teach CF to the full extent I can teach it but is there anyone else out there in this situation who basically doesn’t run from a propose built box but from a self defense place or something?

I really just want to spread the word to anyone that will listen but especially the KM students who are there already.

thanks in advance
Old 11-29-2009, 06:33 AM   #2
Steve Loeding

Profile:
Re: can this work?

I am in the process of doing what you are asking. I've opened up a CrossFit gym in a MMA studio - renting out a small space. The owner has been great and is very pro CrossFit. I think my situation may be a little different - I run the CrossFit gym seperate from the MMA gym - so I charge the students a fee. If you are looking to have CrossFit as part of training, I don't see a problem with it - and from what I've seen, there are a few others that do the same. Take a look at the affiliates and you'll see more than a few in MMA studios. Check out the CrossFit gym in Maple Grove, Minnesota.

BTW - my gym is Top Gun CrossFit - Minnesota.

I'm also in the process of getting more equipment as I get more students. Best of luck
Old 11-29-2009, 11:12 AM   #3
Jakub Marciniec

Profile:

Thanks for the reply Steve, defo giving me some hope there!

I would much rather affiliate and give back to the community if i can. This is all still a few months away but if it can be done then thats the way we are heading!
Old 11-30-2009, 07:39 AM   #4
Mark Griffith

Profile:

It has def been done already. You just have to have a separate page on the website for CrossFit. Check out the Affiliate FAQ for more info...
Old 12-01-2009, 01:15 AM   #5
James lee

Profile:

there are many affiliates doing KM and CF together like me. its a great combo.

if you have any specific questions, feel free to ping me. good luck!

James
Old 12-01-2009, 10:33 PM   #6
Jakub Marciniec

Profile:

thanks for that buddy, email sent