CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 09-10-2009, 04:59 PM   #1
Carlos Gato

Profile:
Any endomorphs out there make any training tweaks?

First off didn't know exactly which forum I should post them in but I figured this forum would work because it's where people post their results sorry mods if it's in the wrong spot

Hey guys I'm 5'9" and 225lbs and am mostly endomorphic and I'm curious to know if the other "big guys and gals" made any changes in their crossfit training with noticable results. I know I have read about others making tweaks to the training (I.E. Doubling up on metcon days or doing crossfit 5 days a week or incorporating extra cardio etc) I'm curious to know what changes my fellow endo's have incorporated into their training.

I understand that different somatotypes react differently to training.

I just finished getting off the anabolic diet and while I did see great gains in strength and some weightloss I just got tired of the constant bloating and limited meal selection.

I'm in the process of reading up on paleo and I'm also thinking about trying a 40protein-40fat-20carb lifestyle (any information you guys want to throw my way regarding either would be great)

anyways I really hope to hear back from my fellow "huskies" or former one's.

Thank you!

Last edited by Carlos Gato : 09-10-2009 at 05:06 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:10 PM   #2
Scott Harsila

Profile:
Re: Any endomorphs out there make any training tweaks?

Subscribed, I think I am in the same boat as you Carlos. I have made great strength and fitness gains with Crossfit over the past 4 months, but my body weight and body fat has stayed almost exactly the same. Even despite eating much more Zone-like.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:35 PM   #3
Jason David

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Gato View Post
First off didn't know exactly which forum I should post them in but I figured this forum would work because it's where people post their results sorry mods if it's in the wrong spot

Hey guys I'm 5'9" and 225lbs and am mostly endomorphic and I'm curious to know if the other "big guys and gals" made any changes in their crossfit training with noticable results. I know I have read about others making tweaks to the training (I.E. Doubling up on metcon days or doing crossfit 5 days a week or incorporating extra cardio etc) I'm curious to know what changes my fellow endo's have incorporated into their training.

I understand that different somatotypes react differently to training.

I just finished getting off the anabolic diet and while I did see great gains in strength and some weightloss I just got tired of the constant bloating and limited meal selection.

I'm in the process of reading up on paleo and I'm also thinking about trying a 40protein-40fat-20carb lifestyle (any information you guys want to throw my way regarding either would be great)

anyways I really hope to hear back from my fellow "huskies" or former one's.

Thank you!
Do Zone...get most of your carbs from fruits and vegetables. What's endomorph? Get's fat when eats bad and gets fit when eats well and works out??

Anyway - I think I'm that. I also started about 20 pounds heavier than you. And I'm 2+ inches shorter. (I weight 170# now)

Good luck! Don't over complicate things. Eat right and train hard. Don't worry about the extra cardio. Just stay away from the donuts.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:04 PM   #4
Carlos Cristan

Profile:

Jason is dead on. Anything you do in the gym is going to have very little impact on your body composition, but your diet has the potential to change everything about what you do in the gym. It's up to you if that going to be a positive change or a negative one. Go zone/paleo and read up on fish oil.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:48 PM   #5
Carlos Gato

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Harsila View Post
Subscribed, I think I am in the same boat as you Carlos. I have made great strength and fitness gains with Crossfit over the past 4 months, but my body weight and body fat has stayed almost exactly the same. Even despite eating much more Zone-like.
hey Scott welcome to the site. Hopefully this thread will help you get some answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason David View Post
Do Zone...get most of your carbs from fruits and vegetables. What's endomorph? Get's fat when eats bad and gets fit when eats well and works out??

Anyway - I think I'm that. I also started about 20 pounds heavier than you. And I'm 2+ inches shorter. (I weight 170# now)

Good luck! Don't over complicate things. Eat right and train hard. Don't worry about the extra cardio. Just stay away from the donuts.
Hey Jason i'm still needing to do some research regarding zone, i think i shyed away from it and paleo because of the "blocks" thing that's really confusing to me.

To answer your question:
The ENDOMORPH

The body of the extreme endomorph is round and soft. The physique presents the illusion that much of the mass has been concentrated in the abdominal area. This may or may not be true. The arms and legs of the extreme endomorph are short in length and taper. This may give the appearance of stalkiness. The hands and feet of the endomorph are comparatively small, and the upper arms and thighs are often more developed than the lower parts of the arms or legs. The body has a high waist.

Other Traits of the Endomorph

The skin is soft and smooth, and the hair is fine. The head of the endomorph is spherical. The head is large and the face broad.

Though i am an endomorph i am relatively healthy at 225lbs... I have very low cholesterol average resting heart rate is in the mid 50's, bp averages in the high teens to mid 120's. I do a low 7 minute mile run. As stated before with the Anabolic Diet I did see weight loss and muscle gains but also alot more bloating and water retention so I actually looked rounder though i was loosing weight (started at 238lbs). Which is why i'm looking for a new routine.

I checked out your log but really couldn't see anything on it regarding your diet. Do you have a logged diet anywhere online that I could check out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Cristan View Post
Jason is dead on. Anything you do in the gym is going to have very little impact on your body composition, but your diet has the potential to change everything about what you do in the gym. It's up to you if that going to be a positive change or a negative one. Go zone/paleo and read up on fish oil.
Very good point and i highly agree with this thus why i'm making the change. Also i currently am taking fishoil supplements as well as protein, vitamin c and a multivitamin supplement.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:43 PM   #6
Scott Harsila

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Gato View Post
hey Scott welcome to the site. Hopefully this thread will help you get some answers.

Thanks, I usually post over on Brand-X and lurk here, but your thread struck home for me. I think you guys are right, I need a fundamental change in diet, "Zoneish" is not good enough. So far I have incorporated lots of Zone friendly food, fish oil, and green tea, but I gotta do better.

edit: I will stop the thread jack now and sit back and read

Last edited by Scott Harsila : 09-10-2009 at 09:48 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:23 AM   #7
Jason David

Profile:

I did fitday for a month...not sure if you can still view it or not, really just did it to confirm what I already knew. when I'm disciplined I feel and perform better. When I'm not - I don't.

I eat well about 6+ days per week. No sugar/grains. (I cheat occasionally) Most my carbs from spinach, broccoli, asparagus, onions, mushrooms, apples, berries. Cottage cheese/chicken/steak/eggs are my protein sources. Bacon too. Walnuts/olives/olive oil for fat (other nuts too).

I do a 16 block zone diet. read cfj 21 and get started.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:39 AM   #8
Carlos Cristan

Profile:

If it helps take a look at my fitday log as well. I'm on 18blocks, but sub out 5 blocks of carbs for 5 additional fats so it ends up being 18P 13C 23F and that puts me at about 2300-2400 cals with 20%C 50%F and 30%C. I should be at 16 but I pt twice a day most days (military pt in the am and WOD in the PM)and usually stay pretty hungry so 16 wasn't enough and rather than be hungry all the time and it lead to cheating by eating a bacon double cheeseburger because im famished I just add blocks to my diet. I'm also taking 6 grams of fishoil a day. I started at 216# and i'm even a couple inches shorter than Jason. Down to 195# and still dropping but still PR'ing at the same time.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:59 AM   #9
Nick Cummings

Profile:

Endomorph is a pretty useless term beyond describing that one needs to lose weight. =)
Old 09-14-2009, 07:58 PM   #10
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:

I don't know if I'm an endomorph but I've always had at least SOME fat around the waist. I don't know if that is due to my somatotype or my lifelong eating habits.

Just to underscore what everyone else has said, follow the mainpage WODS but focus on diet. Paleo is doing wonders for me. It's been almost 4 weeks now and I've gotten leaner in the past 4 weeks than I have in the past year.

I always thought that I could probably get a fairly flat stomach w/lots of hard work and discipline in diet but as far as having a visible six pack, I never thought it was possible. I thought that due to my body type, it was pretty impossible. However, w/these current results, I think it's not possible but highly likely in a year or so.