CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-05-2009, 08:50 AM   #561
Diane Mahoney

Profile:
Re: paleo "change your life in 30 days"

I am definitely eating enough! I'll keep going and see how next week is. This was supposed to be a 30-day challenge at my affiliate, but the trainer didn't get it "out", so it's just me. He said yesterday they'll use me as an example. Um, I think that means I have to do the whole 30 days. My diet before was bodybuilder-ish with proteins/carbs 6x a day. Plus beer.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:54 AM   #562
Diane Mahoney

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Walker View Post
Diane, I feel the same. I'm new to CrossFit and cannot tell if the tiredness is because I'm throwing myself all-in or because I wasn't taking my protein shake after workouts anymore, but from what Emily and Joe have said it would appear this is normal.

How's it going otherwise? Yesterday was tough - went to the pub to meet old friends and their food looked soooo good. Gymed this morning before work and struggled round the supermarket before settling on a ham and egg salad.

I really miss bread. Hoping to try the foccacia recipe somewhere in this thread or the recipe thread.

Mentally I feel GREAT! And I am sleeping so well. I avoided the bar all weekend.... I'm not sure I would have made wise choices there so early in the game. I did notice every time I walk into the grocery store, I walk into a cookie, er a biscuit, display or something similar. Processed carbs are EVERYWHERE! It's kind of scary!
Old 10-05-2009, 09:08 AM   #563
Emily Maisannes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bernard View Post
Make sure you eat enough. Like Emily said about starches, if you now eat vegetables instead of starches you are eating less, so make sure you are getting enough food.
Absolutely correct. I have seen some people miss the point of Paleo and eat very small portions of meat and very little fat (even plant fat). Don't skimp on calories just because your carb sources are much less calorie dense!
Old 10-05-2009, 10:33 AM   #564
Stephen Lewis Romer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
I agree, this isn't the place to spread myths.....so stop spreading them!

This extract from Exercise Physiology: Energy, Nutrition and Human Performance by McArdle, Katch & Katch (p.855 - 856) should hopefully clarify things for anyone confused by the concept of energy balance -
Again Darryl this is not a debate thread on the paleo diet, but a support thread. We have plenty of other threads which debate is welcomed, so please allow us in this thread to support each other.

Quote:
What would a semi-rigorous description of the thermodynamics of a human organism look like? Look at the title strip on the top of the page. See that equation in the background?
Read more here:

http://entropyproduction.blogspot.com/2009/02/all-medical-science-is-wrong-within-95.htmlYOU MUST ENSURE YOU ANNOTATE ALL LINKS WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE.

Last edited by Lynne Pitts : 10-14-2009 at 03:27 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:27 PM   #565
Geoff Sallee

Profile:

Day 5 for me, and feeling pretty good. I've been getting down on fruits and nuts like crazy, trying to get in enough calories. My sleep has been really good, much better than the last time I dropped alcohol from my diet, so I'm attributing it to the paleo foods (or lack of non-paleo foods). I haven't had a chance to work out since the 1st, so today will be a test as to how I feel physically, and how well I'm starting to adapt. I've lost 5 pounds so far, and I feel lighter somewhat. Mentally I feel much clearer, but I don't know whether it's the lack of alcohol or the diet itself. I haven't really had many cravings, except for my daily low-carb energy drink fix and my diet sodas. I've only been drinking water, coffee (black), and tea, but it's getting pretty boring. Oh well, if that's my biggest issue I should count my blessings
Old 10-05-2009, 02:58 PM   #566
Emily Maisannes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Sallee View Post
Day 5 for me, and feeling pretty good. I've been getting down on fruits and nuts like crazy, trying to get in enough calories. My sleep has been really good, much better than the last time I dropped alcohol from my diet, so I'm attributing it to the paleo foods (or lack of non-paleo foods). I haven't had a chance to work out since the 1st, so today will be a test as to how I feel physically, and how well I'm starting to adapt. I've lost 5 pounds so far, and I feel lighter somewhat. Mentally I feel much clearer, but I don't know whether it's the lack of alcohol or the diet itself. I haven't really had many cravings, except for my daily low-carb energy drink fix and my diet sodas. I've only been drinking water, coffee (black), and tea, but it's getting pretty boring. Oh well, if that's my biggest issue I should count my blessings
Awesome! The cravings will go, I promise.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:46 AM   #567
Samantha Aurelio

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Sallee View Post
seltzer water!!!!
Old 10-06-2009, 05:29 AM   #568
John Devine

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha Aurelio View Post
seltzer water!!!!
+1, and you can also add a splash of a 100% fruit juice if you really want to get crazy.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:12 AM   #569
Samantha Aurelio

Profile:

So today. I made this awesome curry scrambled eggs with avocado for breakfast. A little while later I was craving something and had some dark chocolate with sunbutter (In the Netherlands, all tehy add is sea salt, no cane sugar!!) and coconut shreds. I have come to learn that I enjoy the meal more than the dessert... hahahaha. I wish I just had like 3 more plates of curry scrambled eggs, instead
Old 10-06-2009, 08:54 AM   #570
Diane Mahoney

Profile:

How did you make the scrambled eggs? Just added curry? Any veggies?

I made this dressing last night using lemon juice and omitting the salt. It's OK. I think it would be good with salad with chicken on it....

Quote:
Tahini Mustard Salad Dressing
I pack my husband's lunch every day, and about 99% of the time it includes a salad. Usually I just throw together some extra virgin olive oil with whatever vinegar looks good, but sometimes I like to change it up a little. This tahini mustard dressing is one of his favorites. It's super thick and creamy, but 100% dairy-free! The dressing is very versatile too. As well as using it for dressing salad greens, it's great as a substitute for mayonnaise in chicken/tuna salad or cole slaw. It's also delicious as a marinade for grilled or broiled chicken. It will keep for at least a week in the fridge, but it never lasts that long around here.

ingredients:
1/2 cup tahini
3/4 cup water
1/2-3/4 tsp sea salt
3 T apple cider vinegar or 1/4 cup lemon juice
2 T prepared mustard, any kind
2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder

Just dump everything in a food processor and let it rip for a few seconds to combine. It will be very runny initially, but it will firm up significantly in the refrigerator. Enjoy!

Recipe adapted from The Garden of Eating by Rachel Albert-Matesz.
Also, the other night I was wanting something not tea or water or seltzer to drink and I put a blueberry tea bag in ice water and it was pretty tasty. Not beer, I know, but....

My pants are looser. Of course, I am totally driven by vanity. I also know that running and pullups are easier when I'm lighter.