CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 07-28-2009, 11:08 AM   #151
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:
Re: July: 'thruster' challenge

I have to say, I've been following this thread, and it made me giddy for the 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 Thruster workout on the MP (I'm about a week or so behind the main page).

Holy hell... I knew that shoulder press was my big weakness, but this translates right into the thrusters (and the fact that I can't properly rack yet due to flexibility).

My 1RM Press is 90... so for the workout last night I did thrusters 95, 115, 125, 130(F), 130, 135(F), 130(F).

Brutal to fail that many times.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:16 PM   #152
Ted Apollo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James R. Climer View Post
This challenge has had its biggest impact on me from a mental angle; I just don't fear the thruster anymore, it's more like respect now. It's similar to the 100-day burpee challenge.
that's awesome!

i like the idea of Phat fran on friday. i might give it a go.

week 4: day 1 'thruster challenge' - 9 reps @ #135 unbroken

i had no problem hammering out these 9 today. i think i could go up to 175 at 9 reps. its the high rep set of 21 that kills me almost at any weight.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:47 PM   #153
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Ted or anyone else, I would love your thoughts on how I should scale this if I try to do it in August. My goal is to get to an unbroken, Rx'd Fran weight by the time I do the Level 1 cert in November.

I haven't done thrusters very often. Only been CFing since June 3. My first Fran was right after I started, and I only used the 35 lb bar. We did a 5RM for thrusters recently, and I was at 55 lbs with pretty atrocious form by the fifth rep. Our WOD today was 5 rds for time of 12 thrusters and 12 dips. I went heavy for me @ 52 lbs, mainly because I was the only one there doing the WOD at the time...just me and the coach...and she thought I should try it and just pace myself well. I got through 3 rds @ 52 lbs. Max unbroken reps was 6. By the 3rd round, I was doing 2s and 3s. In the end, it was going to take me too long to finish at that weight. So, I just threw up the 22 lb bar for the last 2 rds.

So, yeah, I want my unbroken 21-15-9 @ 65 lbs by November 21. Thoughts?
Old 07-28-2009, 01:46 PM   #154
Ted Apollo

Profile:

hey tamara! if i remember correctly you have been doing main page CF for 4-5 months now? before that were you training at all?

what i would recommend is doing a cycle of Starting Strength for 8 weeks. that will give you the best strength results. you could throw in one metcon a week for a few weeks and if you feel like you have more in the tank without overtraining then add a second metcon a week.

the other option would be to add in some strength work before your daily wods. squats, deads and presses a few times a week, but if you are still a 'novice' lifter then SS would probably get you closer to your goal.

if you just want to add the 'thuster challenge' 3 times a week then you probably want to add 5-10lbs every week and maybe extend the challenge for 6-8 weeks or until you stall. so maybe #35 week 1 (concentrate on form), then #45 for week 2, #50 for week 3, #55, #60, etc... for the remaining weeks.

breaking up the sets will be ok once the weight gets heavier. just try to minimize the rest and make sure you complete the reps.

another approach might be to pick a weight and increase the rep schemes every week like the CFSB guys do. so you could go with #50 and do 9-6-3 the first week, 12-9-6 the second, 15-12-9, 18-15-12, 21-18-15. once you get to 21 reps then you could bump the weight up #10.

what ever you choose just make sure you are comfortable with the programming and you can stick with it.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:35 PM   #155
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Apollo View Post
hey tamara! if i remember correctly you have been doing main page CF for 4-5 months now? before that were you training at all?
Hey, Ted. Thanks for the ideas! To make a long story not that short...

I've been at an affiliate since June 3, so I am doing their WODs. I've also been doing some private coaching sessions there on Oly lifts (which is apparently a strength of mine, my snatch is pretty rockin' for a beginner). Prior to that, I worked with a personal trainer doing CF-style workouts for a month (in May), but we were mainly doing dumbbell work, no barbells. April was my starting point when I was running, doing no strength work whatsoever...ended up with patella femoral syndrome, which is how I ended up with the personal trainer. Prior to April...zilch for 4.5 years since having kids. I'm coming from a competitive soccer background with no barbell training at all. June 3 was the first time I picked up a barbell. I'm down from 174 lbs to 150 lbs since April 1, which is actually below my pre-pregnancy weight, but I'm a heck of a lot stronger than I was immediately prior to having kids.

I've thought a lot about the SS argument after reading around the boards. I know I could be better at CF if I was stronger. I just don't think that is the way for me to go today when 1)I don't have my own equipment, 2)I rely heavily on my affiliate for motivation, and 3)as much as I want to make strength gains, the thruster issue is just one sticking point for me with the level 1 cert. I don't think I can give up CF for SS right now just for that short-term goal. A lot of it is mental for me, and my affiliate's role is HUGE there.

So, I think the thruster challenge is easy for me to manage because I can find a way to fit it in around the WODs. And, I can definitely work in some extra strength work. My affiliate has some open gym times when I can pretty much come and do what I want. And, due to the affiliate programming, I am probably not getting in as much strength work as I want for my long term goals. Yesterday was only the second time I've back squatted since June 3. If I come to open gym times, I can do that stuff.

I was actually thinking of an SS cycle after the level 1 cert. A longer term goal of mine is to compete for our affiliate team in the games next year. I need to be a heck of a lot stronger to do that!
Old 07-28-2009, 09:48 PM   #156
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:

Hey all,

Challenge looks like it is going great - - lots of fantastic work. James; great idea about leading into a "Phat Fran" with the 135# X 21.

Body is repairing itself slowly - - I'll step back into this challenge soon, if not for the sake of a group challenge, then for myself. Ted, I like the suggestions you gave Tamara for "ramping" things up. Sounds like good food for thought for my training.

Take care all!

Steve
Old 07-29-2009, 02:24 PM   #157
Ben Knowles

Profile:

This is a hard challenge and I'm liking it.

Last week was pretty tricky as I was at my parents place and getting 50kg on the bar was near enough all the weight my Dad has including loads of 1.25kg plates. Really struggled with 50kg so dropped it to 45kg for last week and am doing 50kg this week. I'm not struggling this time around which is awesome.

Did manage to get my daughter involved though and she did thrusters with unweight 1.5kg dumbells which she said were too light but I wasn't happy with the idea of her lifting anything until I was sure she had control over the movement. Then we went outside for an invented workout of 3 rounds of spint, 10 burpees, 10 squats and 1 run through her little dance routine. She's only 7 but it was pretty funny to be doing all that exercise plus a dance routine in a public park.

I look forward to future challenges.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:29 PM   #158
James R. Climer

Profile:

135# @ 15 reps.

Unbroken, first five were straight reps, by 2's with pauses in the rack hold to 11, then true 'breather'-type singles to 15.

I really wanted to put the bar down at rep 11, and I felt a mild numbness in my hands during the last 4 reps. I can't wait for Friday!
Old 07-30-2009, 07:25 PM   #159
Ted Apollo

Profile:

week 4: day 2 'thruster challenge' - 15 reps @ #135 (broken: 9,6)

i think stopping at 9 today was more mental then it was physical.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:52 PM   #160
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:

Well......still not 100% in terms of energy, but did "Fran" today as Rx'd, so I guess I made up one week in one workout......took me 10:00 flat, but I did it!