CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 07-16-2009, 01:51 AM   #1
Robert Newman

Profile:
Snatch form check

All self taught, need a bit of coaching on what I'm doing wrong (because with o-lifts, there is always something wrong!). I definitely feel like I can get more than 125 up.

Only thing not WFS in my video is the music (Biggie Smalls). Noticed that after the fact :/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMtqrFROsO0
Old 07-16-2009, 04:33 AM   #2
Cody Wilkes

Profile:
Re: Snatch form check

The lifts are really good for being self taught. Good job. The only problem I see is you step forward on the ones you make which means the bar is in front of you. Do you feel like that or are you just stepping forward?

From this angle it is hard to see but if you feel like the weight is out in front I would shrug up more aggressively and bend your elbows a little more while getting dropping under the bar to stay with the bar. I could give you a more definite answer with a better angle.

The 125 that you missed you hoped back some, that might of had something to do with the miss. Make sure you move your feet out not back.

You also look like you are having 2nd thoughts before you start to pull the bar with all the wiggling you are doing. Get set and go. Don't get set, then reset. Just a training tip.

All in all great lifts. Keep up the good work 125+ is in the near future.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:46 AM   #3
Peter Terry Haas

Profile:

Pretty good for being self taught. Keep up the hard work.

How you are receiving the bar and the receiving position itself need work. Muscle snatch, OHS, sotts press, snatch balance will all benefit you. Get good at those and then incorporate into your warmup.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:30 AM   #4
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Yeah biggest thing I see is you are having trouble receiving the bar and rushing standing up. Do not rush the movement. Once you receive the weight take the time to stabilize at the bottom, THEN stand up.

Best way to develop strength and stability in the bottom is to do lots of heavy Overhead squats, like build up to heavy single, and Snatch Balances.

Again keep the reps in the 1-3 range and very heavy. Getting strong in those two movements will give you a lot of confidence receiving the bar and help you out a ton!

Nice work!
Old 07-16-2009, 10:54 AM   #5
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

The bar is coming forward as it comes off the ground. This makes the whole lift a bit loopy. The bar has too much horizontal movement in the receiving position, which is why you're having trouble controlling it. Notice that the 120and 125 good lifts have less horizontal motion at the top than the 125 miss.

Work on reducing the amount of fidgeting at the setup. Establish a pattern, a ritual. For example, on the snatch I grab the bar with my right hand first. Never the left first. On the clean I grab the bar with both hands at the same time. On both lifts I set my grip before I set my back. I set my back before I drop the hips into the set position. Always. A ritual gives you once less thing to think about. Keep it short too.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:37 AM   #6
Robert Newman

Profile:

Thank you guys I really appreciate that help. There's a lot of stuff I couldn't see in it. I've been drilling the burgner warm up pretty frequently and it's definitely helped me the most. I do take WAY to long to set my max lifts up (clean is the same). Will try what you're saying Lincoln, and will OHS heavy more often, I think 125 was heavier than I had tried before.

I know in the clean you try and agressively get out of the bottom, but in the snatch you stall for a second to set yourself?
Old 07-16-2009, 02:57 PM   #7
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Newman View Post
I know in the clean you try and agressively get out of the bottom, but in the snatch you stall for a second to set yourself?
Both the Clean and the Snatch are the same in that when you have the form nailed in to a T you can utilize a little stretch reflex coming out of the hole. The problem for novice lifters is that their form is not locked in and if you try and rush the lift you and up losing it. It is important to be stable when receiving the bar, it just happens that it is easier to get stable with most people in the rack position than with the bar overhead.

Besides your 1RM Overhead squat should be well above your 1RM Snatch, making it so that standing up out of the hole is not very difficult.