CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 02-22-2003, 03:54 PM   #1
Dan John

Profile:

Working on an experiment here at the Murray Institute for Higher Lifting. How to increase the top end of my Tabata Squats.

So, I added chains. I have 110 pounds of chains...55 to a side...and I tossed them on the bar with 65 pounds. It seemed in the first of the eight sets to be waaaay too light, but I noticed on this first set, that I had no momentum as I shot up.

By the last minute of the four minutes, I realized that the lighter (relative term) at the bottom was great for depth and the chains were making every rep count.

So, I am officially welcoming Tabata Front Squats with Chains to my list of workouts. It may be the best single O lifting workout I know.

I am considering some other variations, too, I will keep you all posted.
Old 02-22-2003, 05:41 PM   #2
Scott Shafer

Profile:
Add a press to the top of every rep and you have a whole workout, Dan.
Old 02-22-2003, 09:38 PM   #3
Coach

Profile:

Really cool! We could via hooks law get a similar result with rubber tubing, no?

Which brings me to another idea in developing the squat clean. I've long thought it would be interesting/fun to set up a bar tethered by rubber tubing at the bar ends and ground. I'd set it up so that the load was insignificant at the knees and nearly impossible to pull up to the navel, demanding super-quick drop under. It would expose an athlete to the demands of coming under super-fast without an intimidating load while giving ample resistance to pull against. My hope would be that we could develop a quick drop before it became absolutely essential later on due to bigger loads.

Old 02-24-2003, 03:59 PM   #4
David Wood

Profile:

You folks are sick . . . and I mean that in the nicest way possible. :happy:
Old 02-26-2003, 06:59 AM   #5
Mark Cain

Profile:

Admin/staff.
some fellow by the name of doug hepbern (?)..... developed the contraption ( or something similar based upon the same concept ) you are mentioning back in the late 60's or early 70's. i think that it is still patented yet you may find a similar device in the back of past issues of muscle magazines. his style of training using that particular machine was something else! the resistance increased much like the incremental increase by the chain links adding to the weight of the bar. i think he called this dynamic tension or something like that. or dynamic resistance training. later editions of the thing had an even greater force curve applied over the distance travelled at the top end.
i like the chain idea of jon's. neat. mother necessity...
Old 02-26-2003, 08:54 AM   #6
Coach

Profile:

Hey Mark,

The contraption is certainly ancient the application to teaching the O lifts may be novel. The use of bands, springs, bows, etc. creating an increased load as a function of distance is not new - application of Hook's Law I believe.

What I'm suggesting is using something like this to teach the blinding speed required to get under the bar in the O lifts - a major obstacle to success. The hope is that we could begin the speed development somewhat independent of
strength development. (I'm not sure this is something we want to do but I'd be willing to try. I've got guys stronger than they are fast right now. For instance we might with a set-up like this be able to develop a nice clean in a powerlifter quickly?)

Coach
Old 02-26-2003, 09:03 AM   #7
Coach

Profile:

This talk of chains reminds me of the origninal Westside Barbell Club when it was in Culver City, CA. Remember that, Danny?

Wasn't Coach Shepherd of BFS part of that crowd. I think he's a neighbor of yours too Danny, no?

Coach
Old 02-26-2003, 09:38 AM   #8
Dan John

Profile:

Yes, he is here in Utah. Westside's origin is with Bill "Peanuts" West and practically every human trained in his gym...if you believe everybody. I talked with Pete Galle, a hammer thrower who trained there, and they used a variety of boxes, including really low boxes to get their squat up.

I wasn't ready to hear what he told me, but they really stressed the one huge power workout and then, later in the week, the assistance (box squats...that kind of thing).

I got the chains cheap from BFS who are very generous to me. (If you buy their Power Clean video, that guy "Dan John" is me.) I have a lot of "low cost" and "free" stuff from BFS and Upper Limit.

I think chains are so good that I write the following:

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains.

I do Presses sitting on a little milk crate to get the chains on the floor throughout the movement, I do all my squats with chains now, and I recently tried Snatch Pulls with them. Now, that was Interesting!!!
Old 02-26-2003, 02:46 PM   #9
Mark Cain

Profile:

cool! understood that you want to get under the descending rubber bands as fast as you can.

the low tech chains seems much better a system than the high tech water drainage systems that were the rage in california in the early 80's.
Old 02-27-2003, 09:37 AM   #10
Gerry Nowotny

Profile:  
Dan:

I am mechanically challenged! Where do you place the heavy chains so that the don't fall of the bar when you are lifting? Incidnetally,you have a great website and newsletter. I have downloaded your diet to send to a few friends who would rather graze for carbs.