CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 12-29-2008, 09:58 AM   #1
David TM Dwyer

Profile:
Hernia!!

Day before my affiliates Fight gone bad, I was lifting a machine off the curb and slipped on some ice. 200lb machine and a little torque and poof, my abdominal wall seperated where the top four abs meet. Nice. I have been since told not to workout at all and I'm going crazy. I feel like my body is actually degenerating. Lots of pain throughout my back and neck now that I've stopped working out. Worse thing of it all is that mentally I am really struggling. I believe that a person can get addicted to the endorphins realeased when you push yourself at Xfit. Withdrawal sucks.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:35 PM   #2
Kevin Moore

Profile:
Re: Hernia!!

Welcome to the club. I have to see the surgeon Jan 9, talk about my surgery for my abdominal hernia. I was making huge strides in my workouts. I have been so temtped to workout, but I keep telling myself its better to wait until its fixed then to make it worse. A couple hard months of working out should get me back. Look to the future, not the present.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:03 PM   #3
David TM Dwyer

Profile:

Are you doing any exercise? The worst part of it is that I don't feel injured. I have tested myself a little without any problems but...
Then 6 weeks recovery!
I was completely timed fot the OLY lift cert in April so my dissapointment is compounding.
I'm doing visualizations and trying to keep positive but sometimes it's tough.
Good luck to you.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:18 PM   #4
Kevin Moore

Profile:

Initially I was going to do a modified lifting program, with no core intensive lifts. However, after thinking about it, I decided to just wait until I am 100%. No need to rush things and further damage myself, only to prolong my return. In the meantime, I have been playing xbox, and shooting my pistols. haha
Old 12-31-2008, 08:30 AM   #5
William Mark Perkins

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David TM Dwyer View Post
Day before my affiliates Fight gone bad, I was lifting a machine off the curb and slipped on some ice. 200lb machine and a little torque and poof, my abdominal wall seperated where the top four abs meet. Nice. I have been since told not to workout at all and I'm going crazy. I feel like my body is actually degenerating. Lots of pain throughout my back and neck now that I've stopped working out. Worse thing of it all is that mentally I am really struggling. I believe that a person can get addicted to the endorphins realeased when you push yourself at Xfit. Withdrawal sucks.
I had laproscopic inguinal hernia surgery 2/19/08, was able to complete the Louisville Triple Crown of Running (5K, 10K and 10 miler) over the next 6 weeks. Was back to form and strength for most of all the CF WODs (excluding heavy deadlifts and squats) within the same time frame. It was frustrating being down a few weeks, but the surgery healed quickly for me. Best of luck to you.