CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-24-2007, 06:49 PM   #1
Max Seid

Profile:
Anyone have any recommendations for in season lifting. I lift upper body 2-3 times a week and try to let the running keep my legs strong, but I'm looking to get back into squating and deadlifting. What do you college athletes (current or post) do for in season lifts?
Old 03-24-2007, 08:51 PM   #2
John Kaupp

Profile:
Depends on the sport. For the most part, keep most of the core lifts the same and cut out some of the auxillary lifts for my athletes. Cut down on the volume. For sports such as football, softball, baseball, track, use cleans(power, hang, hang power, regular) deadlifts, squats, bench, sldl. Look for more power out put. Squatting will usually be something like 5 sets of 3, 7x2. You can keep the weight light, cut down the rest time in between to get some work capacity out of it. cleans and deadlifts are usually 2,2,1,1,1 or something of that nature, working up to about a 90-95% rep. Use kb swings, ball slams, burpees, tabata squats for conditioning and work capacity at the end of the workout. Keep it simple and the volume with the heavy stuff low and kick your but with the lighter or body weight stuff.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:27 PM   #3
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:
For my sport, I take the intensity down substantially.

I compete in lumberjack sports. My events are on weekends throughout the summer. My sport is very physically demanding and requires keen hand eye coordination with some physical strength and overall athletism.

I'm a civil defense attorney, so my work doens't allow me the advantage of actually doing anything physically. So I workout like a fiend when I can.

My off season training is four days of weights and two days of events. I normally go 48 hours in between each weight training session and my focus is alternating upper body and lower body. My weight training sessions are often a minomer, because I do various hybrids of CF type workouts that emphasize either the upper or lower body in that sequence. It works best for me and allows me to train more frequently.

As the season rolls around, I decrease the number of weight workouts and increase the event training sessions. I still alternate upper body and lower body, but I normally only get two sessions in a given week. The amount of weight moved is much lower and "maintenance level" and the intensity is lower as well.

For example, if I have a contest on Saturday, I'll do workout 1 on Monday - with some light event training. On Tuesday, I either do the second session or heavy event training. On Wednesday, I either do the second session or heavy event training. On thursday, I do light event training. On Friday, I travel to the comp. On saturday, I compete.

I also do yoga and tai chi sessions twice daily throughout the year. Don't know if that matters or not, but it's something that has helped me immensely the past few years.

I hope this helps?

All the best,
Arden
Old 03-26-2007, 02:39 PM   #4
Russell Greene

Profile:
Running will not keep your legs strong.

Heavy squats, deadlifts, and olympic lifts, staying away from failure will.

This will minimize the creation of muscle soreness, but CNS recovery will still be a big deal. What sport do you play? How often do you train, how long, what do you do, etc?

Remember though, there is nothing better to get good at something than to do it. You've got to do the thing itself, a lot, with a lot of focus, as often as possible. Cross training that inhibits sports-specific training will be detrimental to your success as an athlete. GPP and strength building is the focus of the off season, now it's time to focus on SPP in a big way. Rowers row, runners run, throwers throw, grapplers grapple, etc.

Old 03-26-2007, 06:58 PM   #5
Tim Ulcoq

Profile:
I was just about to post a question along the lines of Max's original post. I've just started the rugby season. At the moment, I'm struggling to maintain a fitness regime outside of a rugby match on sat, training on tues and thurs, and social touch football and netball on wed nights. I've managed to throw in 3-4 Yoga+pushup+core work sessions through out the week. I want to add atleast 1-2 sessions a week with some heavy lifting and conditioning.

John - how long do you suggest for rests between sets with weights? how many reps/sets do you recommend for the cleans, deads etc?

Old 03-26-2007, 09:20 PM   #6
John Kaupp

Profile:
Tim, when I was working with rugby players, I would typically have them do cleans on the second lift(if you had matches on Sat and Sun). First day would be more of a recovery type workout, lots of range of motion and bodyweight stuff(think a modified Cindy or something of that nature. Day 2 would be cleans and Squats. Typically the rest would be from about 2-3min depending on the set and intensity, but enough to recover. Would do a modified WOD or finish after the strength work.
Day 3 was more of an upper body day, with some Oly. pulls and kb swings to work the legs without tiring them out for the upcoming match(es).
Sets and reps for cleans would be something like 2-2-1-1-1. Working up to a moderately heavy single, not a max, but something that is going to make you have to focus and get after it.
Squats could be 5x2 where you use the same weight for all 5 sets and move up in weight as you get all of the sets or where you work up to a moderately heavy set of 2.

(Message edited by John_kaupp on March 26, 2007)
Old 03-27-2007, 01:24 PM   #7
Max Seid

Profile:
Russell, I play lacrosse. I have practices 5-6 days a week and we have to lift tuesday and thursday. I have been mostly doing upper body circuits. I was training with crossfit originally before the season started. I was doing squats and deadlifts still as the season started, but going to practice after a workout like that was brutal. My legs aren't nearly as strong as they were which is why I am trying to fit it back in to my workout regiment. I just don't know what type of reps people do during season without over working themselves.