CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-18-2007, 01:48 PM   #1
Stanley Kunnathu

Profile:
I work in an accounting office and tax season is going to keep us busy until the end of April. I'm looking at 14-16 hour days for a month and half.

I'm still going to sleep 7-8 hours a night.

Normally, I WOD (80%) on Mon/Tues and Thurs/Fri. Metcon Mon/Thurs and Heavy Tues/Fri

Diet is Paleo foods with Zone proportions. 10-20 Costco fish pills, no supps or vitamins and 1-2L of green tea (leaves) a day.

(Incidentally, I'm temporarily happy with the above formula but eventually want to get to 3 and 1, 3 weeks on 1 week half, etc.)

I don't know why my various searches didn't turn up anything but I'm wondering:

What's a good approach to maintaining (or close to) fitness levels during this time? Or should I accept a temporary downturn and do what I can?

The primary concern is getting run down. I think sleep/diet are going to be critical. If I know that they are going to be compromised do I just lay off the metcon, maybe?

Whatever you can suggest would be helpful.

Thanks.

Stan
Old 03-18-2007, 05:15 PM   #2
Darrell E. White

Profile:
Stanley:

I would counsel just the opposite. During times of prolonged stress one needs a "release valve" for the tension, and one is in need of physical activity. Carve out time for the WOD. Make it a priority. Make it your reward for getting through another day, for getting it done for your clients. Your fitness, even moreso your Crossfitness, will allow you to perform at a higher level for a longer period of time. You will handle the stress better and will perform with a clearer mind with less degredation in your output BECAUSE of your Crossfit training. Just don't add anything extra for the next couple of months. Do the WOD and maybe the CFWU, let Coach to the brain-work and just go on auto-pilot. Get a work-out in on Sunday; sneak one in after work on Saturday. You'll feel way better.

Background for this advice: we launched a new business 2.5 years ago, creating an entirely new space that previously didn't exist so nothing to benchmark. Tons of financial surprises and sacrifices making for challenges. Couple this with a verry sick child with the illness lasting 15 months. CF has been my outlet and my oasis, and I have actually performed better at every aspect of my professional and personal life during this very difficult time.

Find the time.

Old 03-18-2007, 06:23 PM   #3
Stanley Kunnathu

Profile:
Thanks Darrell.

I think I knew that while I was writing the opposite.

Food prep was initially a concern but like you said: "Find the time"

Here I was hoping for "get a full-body massage every couple of days from the women's volleyball team of every Scandinavian country".

Alas, I guess I'll amp up.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:46 PM   #4
Darrell E. White

Profile:
Oh...right...that too...can't believe I forgot:happy:
Old 03-19-2007, 11:14 AM   #5
Michael Ledney

Profile:
Simply put, listen to your body. Do what you can, when you can. Prioritize nutrition over actual execution and remember that less is somethimes more.

I work for a marketing research supplier and my life revolves around my clients' fiscal year just like yours revolves around tax season. Complicating factor, multiple clients=multiple fiscal years=multiple busy seasons.

Mid-Sept to mid-Oct is always 110+ hour weeks, and this time of year the work is less (80+) but it's accompanied by extensive global travel. I'm writing this from a hotel in Jeddah, it's almost 9PM local time, I've been up since 3AM local, and I have ~ 6 hours of work to do before bed. I'm not going to workout today, but am planning to run a 5k along the cornish in the morning.

Trust me on this, if you push your body too hard it will fail you and you cannot afford down time right now. If you have the opportunity to sleep right, do so (I envy you greatly if you do). Maintain your diet at all costs but if you're going to sacrifice activity for productivity at work don't hesitate to cut your calories significantly. I start at 25% and typically end up at 50% input when it gets really bad. Same number of meals, but in some cases I eat no more than a single large bite. My baseline energy level goes through the roof when I drop calories to this level but I'm unable to perform at all. Your results may vary.

Take your activity where you can get and when. I end up doing lots of pullups on the plumbing pipes in the parking garage. The one pullup/minute ladder is great for this. Tabata anything is four minutes of your life and will do wonders to maintain baseline metcon. If I've had too much espresso too late I'll knock down 5x5 DLs when I get home and sleep like a baby. If I have the opportunity to sleep in on a weekend before I go in I'll do a short, standard WOD; Cindy, Helen, Grace, Isabelle, etc.

That's what works for me, I noticed in your profile that your ~10 years younger than me so you can likely pull off more, but I would err on the side of less as you feel things out. If you overextend yourself you'll be of no use to yourself or your clients.

Let us know where you end up after the fires are out. What worked and what didn't. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would be curious.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:38 AM   #6
Stanley Kunnathu

Profile:
Thanks Michael.

My concern is more anticipation (hype) than reality (substance). Still I would like to wear the badge of honour that comes with walking out the other end unscathed.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:17 PM   #7
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Moving to Fitness
Old 03-19-2007, 08:16 PM   #8
David Wood

Profile:

Man, after reading Michael's post, I'm going to have to stop feeling sorry for myself . . .
Old 03-22-2007, 02:48 PM   #9
Michael Ledney

Profile:
Don't feel sorry for me. There's a line in my favorite song, "I live like this 'cause I like it..."

Honestly though I'm convinced that crossfit and the different "type" of fitness I carry around since discovering it ~2 years ago has made it possible for me to pull off this type of thing off a couple of times/year.

Regardless, I'm back in the good ol' USA and lucky for me I feel like deadlifting because that's what my son has planned for my homecoming.

Do let us know how things go Stanley, and best of luck.

edit...just saw in your profile David that you're a mathematical consultant as well. I'd be interested in your stuff some time because that's exactly what I do

(Message edited by carpe_diaz on March 22, 2007)