CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-05-2006, 06:08 PM   #1
Mark Miller

Profile:
Did a search for this and was unsuccessful. I remember being part of a thread about an in-season training schedule for rugby players. I think it was Mark Madonna who posted it. Can anyone help? Bueller, Bueller, Bueller,? Thanks
Old 09-11-2006, 05:21 PM   #2
Andrew James

Profile:
http://www.rugby7.com/emil119.asp

Give that a try. It might be a little intense for someone who works more than a 9-5 and plays rugby, so you'd have to modify it some.

The ideas, however, are solid even if your preferred way to play rugby is 15s instead of 7s.

(Message edited by sirpsychosexy on September 11, 2006)
Old 09-12-2006, 01:53 AM   #3
Joe Celso

Profile:
Mark - I'm not sure if you're asking about rugby specifically or how to schedule your workouts around your sporting event. Assuming the latter, this worked quite well for me earlier this season (now injured -otherwise it'd still be working).

Mon - Rest
Tue - WOD AM / Rest or Ride PM
Wed - WOD AM / Rest or Ride PM
Thu - WOD AM / Ride PM
Fri - Rest or Run Intervals
Sat - Really light activity like soccer with my nephews, jumping on trampoline, bicycle ride, etc.
Sun - HAUL !!!

Tuesday's were sometimes a little light when I was still a little whipped from Sunday... I'm getting old.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:18 AM   #4
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:
Mark,
I'm not into competitive rugby, but I do a sport that normally has events every saturday or Sunday for about three to five months out of the year. I could do it every weekend if I wanted to, but I don't want to because I don't need to travel and I have a real job.

In any event, my in season training normally follows the following routine

Monday - AM upper body WOD/30 min of cardio/ PM light event training.
Tuesday - AM Lower body WOD/30 min of cardio/core exercises PM light event training
Wednesday - AM upper body WOD/30 min of cardio/
Thurdsay - depending upon how feel - but AM light lower body/ PM - Heavy Event training
Friday - rest
Saturday - compete
Sunday - rest

In actuality it's very similar to Joe's in season workout.

All the best,
Arden
Old 09-13-2006, 10:59 AM   #5
Martin Schap

Profile:
Sorry Mark, I don't know where the thread is either, but I think a good in-season workout is to take it very easy on the day before your game and then do a light to medium workout after the game. Also, I think what I would do for rugby would very much depend on what position you play. In my experience with playing club rugby in college, the big guys worked a lot harder in games than us smaller fellows. I always had plenty of energy to lift after the match, but the big guys were usually spent. Other than that, I would maybe just keep going with your regular schedule, but scale it back as described above. Or, if you want to take more rest you could go in a 3 on 1 off 2 on 1 off schedule, which has the advantage of giving you the same off days every week.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:54 PM   #6
Andrew James

Profile:
One thing I can tell you for sure is that Crossfit unsupplemented will not give you the kind of fitness you need for rugby. You must do a lot more repetitive short sprints for rugby than will ever be found in Crossfit. You have to do them until you throw up and then keep doing them until you nearly pass out.

The website I posted above contains a fitness-building drill called jingle jangles. I've been using them for 2 weeks now and the results have been dramatic. I'm beginning to develop a much better tolerance to lactic acid and general conditioning is much improved.

What position do you play? If you're a forward (especially tight 5), clappers may be a better fitness drill for you than jingle jangles.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:18 AM   #7
Mark Miller

Profile:
mostly I am 8 and flank. This is the first full season with rugby and crossfit so I am trying to work it out. Thanks for the info.