CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-12-2008, 09:48 AM   #1
James Patounas

Profile:
Starting Kettlebells

Guys, I've answered these questions for a lot of CrossFitters (I work over at Christian's Fitness Factory), so I thought it would be a good idea to come to the message boards and start a thread about this...

Where to start?
Buy a cheap book. Any book. READ IT. This will give you an idea of what you are getting yourself into and what to look for in terms of technique when you stream videos / watch DVDs. You can also head over to mikemahler.com. His website is an awesome resource for articles about kettlebells; training in general too.

What size should I get?
Based on quite a bit of research the general consensus seems to be 35#s (=1 pood or 16kg) for a guy and 18#s (=8 kg or .5 pood). Of course, this is really for a guy or girl in at least moderate shape.

Next step should be what?
Your best bet is to search through both YouTube and CrossFit. There are a ton of videos. I highly recommend anything by Steve Cotter, Steve Maxwell, or Jeff Martone. If you have the money, buy a DVD set by one of the guys I've previously listed. Depending on your location you may be able to find a KB seminar too. Just search the internet for one.

Am I ready to start training?
YEP! Don't rush things though. Start with 2 handed KB swings and 1 handed techniques. Once you are comfortable, and if you are in good shape, try 2 KB exercises. They are fun.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:26 AM   #2
Brian Rivera

Profile:
Re: Starting Kettlebells

James, thanks for the post, although i did write everything down that you told me over the phone. For those of us that do not have any Xfit gyms or affiliates nearby and want to start Xfit, it is hard to determine which kettlebells are best for use. Unless you want to read through the many "which Kettlebells are Best" threads, which i did (that is how i got your website). Thanks again for answering all of my questions over the phone. Customer Service at its best. I checked my order and my kettlebells should be here soon.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:30 PM   #3
Frank E Morel

Profile:

nice one james you mada sale from this post.

VERY nice used cars saleman.

You could have just posted the thoughts le it be at that but you had to include you work for Christian.

And no I am not a competitor.

Last edited by Frank E Morel : 07-14-2008 at 12:32 PM.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:42 PM   #4
Brian Rivera

Profile:

Actually, i purchased the kettlebells last Friday, prior to this post. I actually called a few places and looked locally. I compared threads and researched for a while. When i called Christian's fitness, James was answered my questions for a good 15 minutes and his prices were comparable. But i am in Customer Service and so it weighed quite a bit in me decision to buy from him. BTW, i ordered them last Friday and got them in today. Thanks.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:07 AM   #5
James Patounas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank E Morel View Post
nice one james you mada sale from this post.

VERY nice used cars saleman.

You could have just posted the thoughts le it be at that but you had to include you work for Christian.

And no I am not a competitor.
I was not attempting to make a sale with this post. Read it. There is no mention of buying kettlebells. The sole purpose of this post was to create a compendium of good resources for people beginning kettlebells that have never used them before. My concern is that people may hurt themselves by not learning the proper techniques before they begin using the kettlebells. I simply wanted to share some of the better, free, resources for learning technique.

The primary reason for me listing CFF was to make searching for this post easier. I intended to refer CrossFitters to this post. How many articles come up when you search for kettlebell or kettlebells? I needed some method for filtering some of those articles out. I apologize if this offended you.