CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-24-2008, 09:28 PM   #1
Robert Callahan

Profile:
deep squats and meniscus

I tried to post this on ************ forums for mark rippetoe but it wouldnt let me post a new thread... the whole site was being funky so i dunno... anyways what do you guys think??

I work in the athletic training room at Santa Clara University and started doing the Starting Strength novice rutine recently. One of my bosses in the training room saw me doing deep squats and was all upset and said it looked so painful. I tried to explain to her about how deep squats activate the hamstrings and keep balanced force over the knee and help prevent ACL injuries but she responded saying that some studies have shown that is questionable and that going below parralell in squats puts a ton of stress on the meniscus. Not wanting to argue with my boss too much i left it at that and kept doing my deep squats because i do not think she is correct.

Since then i have tried to look up studies on Olympic lifters(overhead squaters and snatchers) and meniscus tears but have found little. I also searched this forum and found little on the subject so i figured i would post and ask you Do lifters going below parralell have increased incidence of meniscus tears? What do you think about this argument?

Thank you very much for the input!! Hopefully ill be able to use it the next time i talk to my boss

-Robert
Old 03-24-2008, 10:09 PM   #2
Elliot Fuller

Profile:
Re: deep squats and meniscus

Like Coach Rip says, there's nothing unsafe about it, provided that you're doing it with correct form.

I think there are more threads posted here about meniscus tears, which are resultant from poor form, than there are ones posted about meniscus tears caused simply by going too low.

I have a crappy right knee, and have less than perfect squat form. Yet I've never felt pain in it doing heavy, deep squats. Doing fast SDHP or air squats, however, I'm less careful of my form, and have aggravated it far more doing those than on heavy squats.

I think Rip is onto something, and I'm honestly getting to the point where anyone who contradicts what he has written just gets the cold shoulder from me. If only he'd put Starting Strength onto some stone tablets...
Old 03-24-2008, 10:24 PM   #3
Jake Di Vita

Profile:

I lost over half my meniscus with an ACL tear in my right knee and I squat way below parallel with absolutely no pain today.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:56 PM   #4
Damon Stewart

Profile:

I tore my meniscus 2 yrs ago and could BTH squat that same day. God help me if I twisted though...the pain would drop me into the fetal position. Did a 5 x 5 back squat WOD today with no pain...haven't had any ever and have always paid strict attention to form and squatted full ROM.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:18 AM   #5
Calogero Vassallo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon Stewart View Post
I tore my meniscus 2 yrs ago and could BTH squat that same day. God help me if I twisted though...the pain would drop me into the fetal position. Did a 5 x 5 back squat WOD today with no pain...haven't had any ever and have always paid strict attention to form and squatted full ROM.
I'm strained and slight tear mid season in summer.

Did rehab and physio and am back to full strength in squats again and going below parallel at times.

No pain. Proper form.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:49 AM   #6
Larry Lindenman

Profile:

The deep squat is dangerous myth has been around since the 60s. It is based on nothing. Ask your boss, nicely, to provide you with the studies. When she can't, drop some keys on the ground and ask her to pick them up. When she squats, stop her because it's "dangerous". How about getting up off the toilet...dangerous. The only thing that's dangerous is uninformed trainers like your boss!
Old 03-25-2008, 06:15 AM   #7
Wade Smith

Profile:

I may not completely recall, and I've passed on my Starting Strength book, but I believe there is a quote in there where Coach Rip writes that the squat can be done even if there is an absence of ACL on a trainee for some reason.

Someone with a SS book in hand can find that section/quote and add clarification.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:25 AM   #8
Tim Luby

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Callahan View Post
I tried to post this on ************ forums for mark rippetoe but it wouldnt let me post a new thread... the whole site was being funky so i dunno... anyways what do you guys think??
Your post didn't show up because they run them by Rip before he posts a reply.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:26 AM   #9
Tim Luby

Profile:

Is it even necessary to squat below parallel with back squats? I would think strength gains would be more than sufficient going to parallel. Plus, you can use more weight.

Last edited by Tim Luby : 03-25-2008 at 06:39 AM.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:39 AM   #10
Dan Ensing

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Callahan View Post

I work in the athletic training room at Santa Clara University and started doing the Starting Strength novice rutine recently. One of my bosses in the training room saw me doing deep squats and was all upset and said it looked so painful. I tried to explain to her about how deep squats activate the hamstrings and keep balanced force over the knee and help prevent ACL injuries but she responded saying that some studies have shown that is questionable and that going below parralell in squats puts a ton of stress on the meniscus. Not wanting to argue with my boss too much i left it at that and kept doing my deep squats because i do not think she is correct.

Since then i have tried to look up studies on Olympic lifters(overhead squaters and snatchers) and meniscus tears but have found little. I also searched this forum and found little on the subject so i figured i would post and ask you Do lifters going below parralell have increased incidence of meniscus tears? What do you think about this argument?

Thank you very much for the input!! Hopefully ill be able to use it the next time i talk to my boss

-Robert
Ask her to produce the, "studies," she refers to. I'd be curious to seem them myself.

Dan