CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-07-2008, 01:21 AM   #1
Jake Galgon

Profile:
What needs the most work?

Quick intro: I started getting back into some sort of fitness about a year and a half ago after being semi-bedridden with Lyme disease for about five years. Did some running, lifting, joined my school's crew until back pain caught up with me. In any case, I have a light course load this semester and I'm starting to put a lot of focus on fitness.

Anyway: Given the following (not particularly impressive) numbers, I'd love some advice on what I need to work on the most (and maybe a bit on how to work on it):

6'2" 195 lbs

6:59 2k row
1:33 500 row
5:45 1 mile run
1:03 400m run
245 squat
200 bench
15 pullups (dead hang)
33 pushups

Thanks.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:16 AM   #2
Jason Borzych

Profile:
Re: What needs the most work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Galgon View Post
Quick intro: I started getting back into some sort of fitness about a year and a half ago after being semi-bedridden with Lyme disease for about five years. Did some running, lifting, joined my school's crew until back pain caught up with me. In any case, I have a light course load this semester and I'm starting to put a lot of focus on fitness.

Anyway: Given the following (not particularly impressive) numbers, I'd love some advice on what I need to work on the most (and maybe a bit on how to work on it):

6'2" 195 lbs

245 squat
200 bench
15 pullups (dead hang)
33 pushups

Thanks.
First off a lot of those numbers are very impressive, I would look to improve your squat that appears to be your weakest link, and it is one of the best full body lifts, work on kipping pull-ups and develop your deadlift (i donno what it is not listed, but my real advice would be just to CrossFit it will get you where you wanna go, for sure.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:46 AM   #3
Tom Thomsen

Profile:

200 bench but "only" 33 push ups? Sounds somewhat strange to me.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:39 AM   #4
Cal Jones

Profile:

Your cardio fitness is excellent. I'd say work on your strength and on bodyweight exercises. If you follow the WODs and also get coaching for the oly and heavy lifting if you need it, that should round your numbers up a bit.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:43 AM   #5
Jeffrey White

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Galgon View Post

6'2" 195 lbs

245 squat
200 bench
15 pullups (dead hang)
33 pushups

Thanks.
Just curious: MO or IL? Are you going to one of the affiliates?

IMO: You could do starting strength or any kind of strength work (like Bill Starr's 5x5) and work on Oly lift technique and form(with broomsticks or pvc pipe, etc)
Old 02-07-2008, 11:50 AM   #6
Jake Galgon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey White View Post
Just curious: MO or IL? Are you going to one of the affiliates?
Missouri. I'm going to Washington University and I get free access to the school gym that's about 2/3 mile from my apartment, so it's hard for me to justify doing anything else.

Thanks, everyone, for the help. I'll definitely be trying to incorporate more bodyweight stuff. I guess I probably do need to learn to kip. Squatting is something that I've been working on a lot lately, so I'm on top of that--I've already seen some improvement, and hopefully that'll continue.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:34 PM   #7
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

Quote:
Given the following (not particularly impressive) numbers

You don't want to lose your endurance/cardio numbers, because those are completely impressive, if you ask me.

At the same time, I agree with the others: you should be working on squat and the other lifts. It seems like your weakest points will definitely be addressed to some degree by just following the WOD. But as others have suggested, if you're somewhat new or not really fluent with the lifts, Starting Strength is a great program for "starting."

Nice numbers either way.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:53 PM   #8
Jonathan Greene

Profile:

I vote getting your strength up. Your running and rowing numbers are very solid in my opinion.

15 dead hangs is good foundation. Like someone earlier suggested, now work on getting your kipping pull-ups solid.

To me the three ones that need focus are bench, push-ups, and squat. Shoot for short-term goals of 10-20 bodyweight bench reps, 70+ push-ups in two mins, and a 1.5x bodyweight squat.

Doing the CF WOD's will help you all around and should bring your numbers up in these three steadily. But a program designed to focus on them will work faster.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:18 PM   #9
Jake Galgon

Profile:

Just posting to say thanks for the advice--it's worked out pretty well. I've been doing more 3-5 rep squat/deadlift sets, and I've gotten my maxes up to 265 and 333 respectively.

I won't bump the thread again because it's pretty much served its purpose, but I wanted to show some appreciation.