CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-28-2004, 10:29 AM   #1
mark ledesma

Profile:  
Hi all,

I've been following the WOD for about a month now, with a few days off here and there. I've noticed great increases in everything from my strength to my mood. I have read a lot on the site about how long distance running can be bad for overall fitness -- but I am interested in running a marathon simply because I think it would be a spiritual experience and a way to test my toughness. This would (hopefully) be a one time thing.

Any other CrossFitters followed the WOD while training for a marathon? Any opinions on this idea? WOD in the morning, mileage at night? (that's what I'm thinking).

Any help is greatly appreciated.. best regards..

-MCL
Old 12-28-2004, 01:15 PM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Mark-

I think there are some good accounts of CF and marathoning in the testimonial section, give that a perusal.
Robb
Old 12-28-2004, 10:31 PM   #3
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Mark,

I asked a similar question about endurance training and Cross Fit and got some very detailed answers. Click on search and type in endurance and you should get some great stuff on the topic. You might want to try typing in marathon to see if you get anything specific to that.

I am a triathlete and though I have done the ultra course twice (full Ironman) I have been doing the long course (half Ironman) and shorter races for the last couple years. Your marathon training hinges off the long run you do once a week. Different people will suggest different times and/or distances for the long run but from the sound of your post this will be your first marathon so you should probably build to 90 minutes to 2 hours, unless you can already do that with ease.

I had my best racing season ever in 2004 and the only changes I made to my training schedule was adding Cross Fit type training. Strange that such intensity helps long distance efforts but I can assure you that it does.

I have more than a dozen marathons, two of them in Ironman races and I don't remember much of a spiritual component except for frequently saying "Omigod will this ever be over?"

Walk the aid stations, try to negative split the course and go faster in the second half than the first and pick a good race. Portland rocks and Seattle sucks. Portland is in October and for some strange reason some genius thought racing in Seattle in late November was the thing to do. Always wet and rainy. Forget it. San Diego is a great race...but since you live in Wisconsin you are likely to pick a race out your way. Can't help you there.

Band Aids on your nipples if it's a cold race or you may have tandem blood spots on your jersey.

Don't wear or eat anything new on race day. If you haven't tried it in training don't try it on race day. Go to a running shoe store staffed by some young skinny guy or gal who runs to get your shoes...not Gart, Big 5 or the big chains where the sales person doesn't know pronation from Aryan Nation. Make sure you are wearing the type of shoes you need for your type of feet and running style.

Buy the DVD about the Pose method of running. It will really help educate you about efficient running mechanics.

You may want to break up your runs and do a short run after your WOD or other strength or intensity training, and then do a slightly longer run in the afternoon or evening. How much you run each time is up to you but run you must. Work on pacing and tempo runs to help teach yourself exactly what your goal pace feels like. Consider a heart rate monitor and if you get one get Polar.

Have fun.

eug
Old 12-29-2004, 05:51 AM   #4
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Two great lines: "Doesn't know pronation from Aryan Nation" and "I don't remember much of a spiritual component except for frequently saying Omigod will this ever be over?" Ok three: "Have fun." Good post.
Old 12-29-2004, 06:24 AM   #5
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
"Buy the DVD about the Pose method of running. It will really help educate you about efficient running mechanics."

Would this be worth getting for others as well or is it only worth it if you're running really long distances?
Old 12-29-2004, 09:29 AM   #6
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Paul,

Go to www.posetech.com and you can get an idea about what this Pose method is all about. Dr. Nicholas Romanov is the founder of this and his major thrust is that there is one "pose" for running that we should adapt ourselves to. His DVD teaches his principles for proper running through various drills that teach you to stay off your heels by not over-reaching, minimizing the amount of time your feet spend on the ground, getting your feet higher...closer to your butt to reduce the energy taken to swing your leg through for the next stride, using ground rebound energy to your advantage...lots of stuff.

Great DVD for anyone who runs regardless of the distance, purpose or ability level. In fact, the worse you are at running the more help you will get from the DVD.

Most runners don't practice running...they just run. Swimmers practice, basketball players practice...runners just run. It makes sense that we should be doing drills that make us more skillful at running just as we do in other sports.

Happy Running

eug
Old 12-29-2004, 09:58 AM   #7
Nic Nakis

Profile:
This fall I trained with my girlfriend for a half marathon while also doing crossfit.

The Crossfit stuff definitely made running easier. I had good speed and stamina throughout. The runs were also a good warmup for the WOD, and made some WOD's seem easy 'cause my heartrate was already up there.

However, after a while, the runs were just too gooddamn boring to continue. After doing 20 minute workouts that kick your *** with a ton of variety, doing a 90 minute run is yawn-fest. I really got down on the running cause it wasn't nearly as exciting as the crossfit.

So, now I don't run but I do more crossfit. And I never got my half marathon...
Old 12-29-2004, 09:59 AM   #8
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
In fact, the worse you are at running the more help you will get from the DVD.

Ha! Guess I should get this; maybe I could someday aspire to a sub-10-minute mile!
Old 12-29-2004, 01:15 PM   #9
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
Eugene, what do you think of Romanov's book? Is the DVD a necessity? The book got very favorable comments on amazon. Thank you for bringing this up.
Old 12-29-2004, 01:58 PM   #10
William Hunter

Profile:
Mark-
Sounds like Eugene's got you covered on this point and then some. I would only reinforce one of his points..."bandaids on the nipples". Nipple burn during a race is a special trip through hell. It can stop you right in your tracks.

I read about Romanov in an issue of Runner's World. Eugene, have you been using his techniques long? I fight ITB syndrome, even with orthotics.

Will