CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-11-2008, 08:11 PM   #1
Joe Pence

Profile:
SS with WOD's

I'm trying to lose weight. I decided to stop *****ing footing around with cardio this and blah blah blah and get back to the basics: hard, gut wrenching work.

I've been on CF for the last 2 weeks doing a heavy strength workout/WOD/WOD/rest routine. Other than being horrifically sore everything is ok. But on the forums I see people recommending using a WOD/Strength?WOD/rest cycle.

I like the idea of having a full day to recover between my WOD and my strength workouts, so does it really matter what split I use? I don't see any good reason why it would matter.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:33 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: SS with WOD's

It doesn't matter. If you have to, scale so you're not that sore. It will be a "blow to your ego" but you'll progress faster.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:58 PM   #3
Joe Pence

Profile:

I threw some light c2 rowing in after workouts and the soreness is much better.
Old 01-13-2008, 04:18 PM   #4
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

You said you're trying to lose weight, so keep in mind how important your diet is (which you failed to mention in your post) as a part of the equation.

My old program was using CrossFit's 3-on 1-off routine, but I'd replace the second WOD day with a strength-building routine. Unfortunately (probably diet related to some degree) I didn't see much progress with this.

Starting Jan 7th, I ceased all WOD's in favor of a strictly SS routine along with the 1 gallon of milk/day deal. I've already seen some gains in my 5 rep max in all categories, and I'm very happy. I'm also trying to gain some weight (25-30 pounds), before returning to Paleo/IF to reduce BF% again. I'm happy to be seeing gains, but woefully missing the punishment of the WOD's Will be thrilled once I'm at 170# and 10% body fat though!

I don't know how much this will apply to you, since your goal is to lose weight. You might benefit from just following the WOD's without any added/substituted days -- that's how I made some serious progress as far as weight loss goes. Of course 2 days of WOD's is still fine as long as you're diet's in order.

Steven says it doesn't matter how you split it all up (which is mostly true I think), but on a personal level, I find that if I split things up too much, my performance suffers for one reason or another -- particularly on metcon workouts. Might just be psychological. IMO the 3-on 1-off WOD cycle is the most ideal for me as far as conditioning, weight loss, and all of that good stuff goes. Can't wait until March to get back on the wagon!
Old 01-13-2008, 04:55 PM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

As far as weight goes, diet is key. Thanks Elliot.. forgot to say that.

For a 3/1 with two GPP and a strength session it really doesn't matter all that much unless the strength session is very similar. For instance, if the strength session had DLs and heavy press and then the next WOD was Diane (21-15-9 225 DL/HSPUs). This can be avoiding fairly easy by just staying behind the WOD like a week or so and subbing the next WOD for the day after (if you choose strength at the beginning/middle of the cycle) and then going back to it after. For you can avoid it totally if you just put the strength on the last day except it might be degradative in quality.

Shrug. Then again, you can't expect what lift throws at you. Two DLs in a row would be tough but it would elicit a very strong neuroendocrine response provided good form and you can make it through.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:22 PM   #6
Joe Pence

Profile:

Thanks for the advice. I was considering staying a workout behind so that I can pick and choose my WOD's. Right now part of my motivation to bust my *** is trolling on Crossfit HQ until the WOD is posted. Its nice to not have to do any thinking.

I have two workouts I alternate: Workout A is back squat, press, DL, and Pullups. Workout B is Power Clean, Bench Press, Front Squat, and Bent Over Rows. Every day I train I do 3 x 10 of situps and back extensions unless they are called for in the WOD. I have been using my best judgement as to which workout I want to do, but I've been focusing on the WOD's. However, I also occassionally do things like tire flips, sled pushes or drags, or barbell complexes depending on how my WOD's feel. For instance, today I only managed 7 mins of pullups, so I did 10 mins of sled pushing intervals and 30 mins of cardio.

When I was on a 3 day a week strength training schedule and that got me strong (I added 30 pounds to my squat, clean, and bench), I also turned into a fatty because I devoted too much time to strength and let my diet get out of control. So as long as I'm not losing a ton of strength, I don't really care how the strength training goes. I figure if I keep my strength at the same level and lose 30 lbs then I'll seem stronger .

The diet is okay. I'm not on a plan: I know my stomach pretty well and I know what will fill me up and what won't. I can also differentiate between cravings and real hunger (like right now I am craving french fries). I probably don't take in enough protien, but I don't measure it. I eat tons of cottage cheese and eggs. They are about the cheapest tastiest sources of protien I can find. I stopped eating fast food (not that hard considering I hate that it makes me feel like a fat slob) and only go out to eat with my girlfriend. I used to be a fatty and had to lose weight. I got away from that life style, but its just like riding a bike.
Today I had:
Breakfast
oatmeal w/ flaxseed, powedered milk (just 1 tbsp, for taste), and splenda

Post Workout
3 egg omelete with tomatoe, onion, jalapenos, and corn
2 pieces of wheat bread

Third Feeding
1 lean pocket ultra (220 calories, 30 grams of carbs, 10 grams of protein, 7 grams of fat)
I know these really aren;t that good for me but they are better than pizza, they come in a single servings, and they are easy to make. Its better than hitting up dominos.

I will definitely eat again before I goto bed so I can get in 4 meals. probably something like corn, tuna, and salsa.

So now you know my life story haha. I suppose I should also mention that I have a degree in Ex Phys and I currently work as a strength and conditioning coach as a college (not trying to impress people, just letting it be known). I just have no experience with Crossfit.

Thanks for the comments.

Last edited by Joe Pence : 01-13-2008 at 05:29 PM.