CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-09-2003, 07:59 PM   #1
Roy

Profile:

I tried posting this once, but it didnt go through. If it did, Sorry for the second one! :-)

Im currently at 153 and would like to add around 7-10 pounds of muscle to my frame. I currently get at least 3000 CLEAN calories every day (usually a bit more). I remember reading something about consuming an X amount of calories per pound of weight(or lean weight)?

Im one month out of a wrist cast(after 4 months), healed from therapy with no gym equipment or the money for health club membership. My wrist is strong enough for as many pushups(fists) and pull ups as i can do. I can do dips on double stair rails because the slope of it keeps the weight off this weak bone;maybe thats bad form? If it works, Great!

Like Nathan stated in his preparing for film thread, my goal is to gain functional true strong muscle. Like everyone, I wanna gain muscle and lose fat. In the "Bodybuilding world" you absoulutely HAVE TO gain fat in order to gain muscle. I disagree, unless one approaches it like a body builder(lift heavy weights, rest, rest, and more rest only) I recall a statement on this board somewhere of one claiming they gained seven pounds of muscle and lost bodyfat.

I currently workout mon-fri every week. Armstrong pullup program in the mornings with WOD(usually modified because of equipment, and armstrong) I just started the armstrong program yesterday morning and really like it. I also do an hour of martial arts practice every evening mon-fri. So what would be the best approach to this? Could one gain muscle mass from just body resistance exercises like pullups, pushups, dips, handstand pushups, 1 leg squats, sprinting, etc.? I have no access to any weights(if they're even neccessary) Any advice is helpful. thanks

Cheers

Roy
Old 09-09-2003, 10:26 PM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Roy-

I think you should be able to add some weight doing a largely gymnastics oriented Crossfit. I would recomend ratcheting the fat content of your diet up gradually and make sure to get ~ 160 g of protein/per day ( at least).
Think about car/truck pushing for additional overload on the legs.
Good luck
Robb
Old 09-10-2003, 04:49 AM   #3
Roy

Profile:

How does increasing fat intake help build muscle? My fat sources now are from peanut butter, almonds, and eggs along with fish oil capsules. My c/f/p breakup is about 40/30/30. I get about 180 grams of protein a day.

What do you mean by gymnastics stuff? are talking like muscle ups, handstands, and inverted tricks?
Old 09-10-2003, 09:49 AM   #4
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Roy-

MU's HSPU's and things like that are exactly what I'm talking about with regards to gymnastics stuff.

If I recall you are already pretty lean so the program now is about increasing caloric content in a way which does not compromise your hormonal environment for muscle building. That means additional fat. In the archives coach answers questions I had regarding caloric restriction, muscle gain and optimizing performance. Give that a read.

As an asside the peanut butter and almonds are sky high in n-6 fatty acids. This is effectively undoing what you are trying to accomplish with the fish oil. Walnuts and peacans have a much more vavorable n-6/n-3. Olive oil is also a good option.
Robb
Old 09-10-2003, 06:36 PM   #5
Roy

Profile:

I thought almonds were rich in omega 3's.....? I knoe peanut butter is rich in omega 6, and if almonds are more rich in omega 3's, then Id be happy to switch to almond butter. Should I increase the carb intake? Financially and conveniently as a busy college student, I cannot get over 3,500 calories with strictly paleo only food, or even 3000 which is unfortunate. Im gonna have to eat some whole wheat bread and starches(yams) I only have 2 grain servings a day and 3 potato servings(1 red skin, two yams) Thanks for your help thus far. I've never tried actually gaining weight before calorie-wise, so any and all help is appreciated. thanks

cheers

Roy
Old 09-10-2003, 06:36 PM   #6
David Wood

Profile:

Robb:

Not to hijack this thread . . . but could you expound on the N6 / N3 significance? Or point to some appropriate reading material?

Dave Wood
Old 09-10-2003, 06:43 PM   #7
David Wood

Profile:

Sorry, I should have stuck with the "small n" convention for "omega" . . . n6 = omega 6

Old 09-11-2003, 09:56 AM   #8
Mike Minium

Profile:
Robb,

Me too, me too! I'd like to know about which nuts (you've already mentioned walnuts and pecans) have favorable n-3/n-6 ratios (on a side note, what is a favorable ratio, 1.5/1.0?). Nuts and seeds make up a majority of the extra fat I get (i.e., fat not from animal protein--salmon, free-range beef, etc.). Where do pistachios and cashews fall on the continuum?

Do you know of a web resource that gives the n-6 and n-3 amounts for foods?

Thanks,

Mike
Old 09-11-2003, 01:40 PM   #9
Scott Kustes

Profile:
Mike,
Here's something I was able to find with a quick Google search. Looks like I'll be cutting back on the almonds some. It doesn't have all of the nuts on it...not even most that were mentioned above, but it's a start.

http://www.annecollins.com/dietary-f...fa-6-chart.htm

One with a chart of Omega-3's: http://www.walnuts.org/pdfs/han_chart_omega3comps.pdf
Old 09-12-2003, 09:58 AM   #10
Mike Minium

Profile:
Thanks, Scott--that helps me out a bunch.

Looks like more walnuts, fewer almonds.

Mike