CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 07-13-2007, 04:43 AM   #1
Simon Bowley

Profile:
Hello all,

For the last couple of years I've had a dull ache (occasionally a more severe pain) in my left buttock. Whilst I haven't had it officially diagnosed, a physio friend is almost certain it's sciatica.

When I started crossfit I was concerned that the intense nature of the exercise would aggrevate this. Quite the opposite has occured. When I work out hard the dull ache goes almost completely! Every so often I get a twinge but almost completely normal.

Does anyone else have an experience like this?

What might be the explaination?

Many thanks,

Simon

PS Thank you crossfit!
Old 07-13-2007, 05:03 AM   #2
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
CrossFit is the explanation!

You're not the first back that's been healed by doing the WODs. Just keep an eye on form, if you ever let form deteriorate, you're asking for a bigger injury.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:40 AM   #3
Ben Moskowitz

Profile:
that's awesome!

I read somewhere (Tom Kurz I believe) that dull aches are often overlooked by athletes, but tend to cause serious joint damage down the road. I guess it depends on the type and position of the ache.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:22 AM   #4
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
I recently started having sciatic symptoms a few months back, bad enough to wake me up in the middle of night unable to move without pain. Funny thing is it never bothers me with heavy lifting.

I do see a chiropractor regularly now, since when I'm not training - just sitting around resting and recovering - the pain comes back every few days or so.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:45 PM   #5
Alwyn Quebido

Profile:
ugh...SCIATICA!!!!!

I, too, am a sufferer of said injury. The last time it flared up was when I once again took up Muay Thai practice. My chiropractor URGED me not to do it again; all the roundhouse kicking aggravates my L5 S1 disc, which in turn irritates my sciatic nerve, which led to me being bed-ridden for the entire month of December last year! I'm back to working out again, this time pursuing Filipino martial arts (which don't have any crazy hip twisting motion) and doing some light bodybuilding. I recently discovered Crossfit, but ...and here's the reason for this post...I was wondering if you all think Crossfit is something I can do. A lot of the bodyweight stuff looks fine; it's just all the compound weightlifting movements, especially the deadlift and squats w/ weight. I've been doing partial deadlifts (where you place the bar inside a power rack with the spotting poles in place right under your knees), and that feels fine right now. Any instructors/seasoned vets on this forum that can give me suggestions?
Old 07-16-2007, 08:04 PM   #6
Joe Burks

Profile:
Read Matt Spiller's article "Press Up for Back Pain" here http://danjohn.org/gu11.pdf

This has helped knock out a chronic Sciatica problem, along with a little DMSO.

Joe
Old 07-17-2007, 07:48 AM   #7
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Alwyn, as a competitive O-lifter that's all I do - plenty of heavy squats and deads (pulls) My sciatica flares when not doing these and I feel fine when I'm lifting.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:07 AM   #8
William Hunter

Profile:
One thing that needs to be kept in mind is that, technically speaking, sciatica is a SYMPTOM, not a diagnosis. It just means that there is pain stemming from your sciatic nerve. The causes for sciatica are varied, with two of the biggest causes being chronic or acute disc herniation (for which the McKenzie based "Press up for Back Pain" article is an excellent resource for do-it-yourself relief), or piriformis tightness, for which vigorous, full ROM exercise(with a specific stretch or two added on) may be just the ticket.

Also, a sneaky yet persistent trigger point in the gluteus minimus muscle creates what might be termed pseudo-sciatica, and may also respond to full ROM exercise, especially while raising the body's core temp.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:26 AM   #9
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Well that explains why my pain is nonexistent when squatting ATG.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:06 AM   #10
Alwyn Quebido

Profile:
Thanks for the tips, everyone!

Here's a little more background on my injury. It came about when I was 15 playing high school football. It didn't flare-up at the time, the only symptom being this dull ache going down my left hamstring. After awhile it went away. Then about 4 years ago (I'm 34 now), I thought that it was "healed", so I started doing exercises I love that I haven't done in a loooooong time: squats & deadlifts. Next thing you know, it started to ache again, then one morning I sneezed...and felt pain the likes of which I've never felt before! After chiropractic treatment and lots of rest, the pain went away in a few weeks. So I stayed away from squats & deadlifts, then discovered Muay Thai...then, well, you guys already know the rest of that!

Anyway, the pain of the last episode is something I really would like to avoid (to state the obvious). I think I can do back squats and at the very least partial deadlifts with not-too-heavy weight for now...it's just the cleans that worry me. What do ya'll think?