CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 03-30-2004, 09:01 PM   #1
John Frazer

Profile:
I am getting totally depressed looking for a place to do some of my workouts ... 75% I can do in my living room or in a park, but the local rec centers are overrun with weenie machines and I can't find a place that has both an Olympic weight set and a pullup bar!

And of course the "health clubs" -- what exactly is healthy about running on a bank of treadmills under fluorescent lights, when it's a beautiful spring morning outside?

I may need to buy a house with a garage just to have a sane place to work out. In the meantime, I don't have any room for a bench or squat racks. Any suggestions that don't cost $350,000?
Old 03-31-2004, 11:52 AM   #2
Dave Polsky

Profile:  
Here is a crazy thought, and feel free to criticize it because it is a little out there. What about renting a storage unit in which to put your gym? They come in many different sizes. Many have large roll-up garage doors that open to the outdoors, so when you want fresh air you can get plenty. And, they certainly cost less than $350,000. I currently live in an apartment and have fantasized about it. I have not tried it, however, because I will be moving into a home soon.

Dave
Old 03-31-2004, 03:25 PM   #3
Paul "The Viking"
Departed Paul

Profile:

John,

Where do you live? I'm in Arlington. Currently, I'm working out using a combination of the Gold's in my neighborhood, the pathetic "fitness room" in my apartment building, and the track and park in my neighborhood - which I'll get more use of as the weather gets nicer. Gold's is ok, but its more of a "health club" than I'd like. No lifting platforms, no bumper plates, no chalk allowed. Squat racks, not power cages. The main problem I have with it, though, is that its too crowded - especially anytime between 5 and 8:30.

There are a couple of options that I know about, which I haven't fully looked into. Lincoln gave me the contact of an olympic lifting club a couple of weeks ago, which would certainly be an improvement over a typical gym. Its actually no longer listed on the USAW website, so I don't know if it shut down?

SPARTACUS
ATTN: Francis M. Bires
1300 Crystal Dr. #1609
Arlington, VA 22202
(703) 416-0572

The other place I know about is Bob Whelan's place. His website is http://www.naturalstrength.com -- great resource for old-time strongman books. His training style looks to be HIT/Hardgainer style, though, but they do a lot of other stuff like strongman training. I'm not sure if its a gym with regular membership, or if its a private personal training gym. I believe its somewhere in downtown DC.

Let me know if you find anything!
-Paul
Old 03-31-2004, 03:56 PM   #4
Brian Mulvaney

Profile:
Here's Nick and Dave about this time last year training out of a Shurgard storage unit. Same gear, same guys, same O-lift photos on the wall, but about 20 times the square footage today and a growing clientele.

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/3578.jpg
Old 04-01-2004, 08:08 AM   #5
Emil Berengut

Profile:
John, have you checked out Third Power fitness in Adams Morgan? It's small but very well equipped. The guys who run it are all boxers and ex athletes. From what I've seen in their privates with clients they emphasize the kind of functional fitness that CF promotes.
Old 04-01-2004, 08:27 AM   #6
John Frazer

Profile:
Thanks all for the suggestions.

I'm in Alexandria -- currently I use the living room, either of two local rec centers (one has a pullup bar and rower, the other has a weight bench and a jungle gym outside), the Parcourse setup in the local park, or either of two school tracks (the high school has a real track, the elementary school has a 1/8 mile track but a whole bunch of pullup bars).

As a retired USAF general at the office used to say, "Flexibility is the key to air power!"

Anyone go to the Arlington YMCA? I'm going back to school in the fall and they have a student discount...
Old 04-01-2004, 10:57 AM   #7
Paul "The Viking"
Departed Paul

Profile:

John,

I haven't been to the Arlington YMCA, but I'm going to check it out real soon. On a link on another page, there's a list of places with adult gymnastics classes and the Arlington Y is listed as one. The other place listed is the Arlington County Fitness Center on Four Mile Run Rd- I think its called Barcroft fitness. Any place that's got usable gymnastics equipment and weights would beat a standard gym hands down.

-Paul
Old 04-01-2004, 11:11 AM   #8
John Frazer

Profile:
I have checked out the place on Four Mile Run -- it's a very nice facility. I didn't check out the weight room closely; the gymnastics stuff looks good but I question whether it would be available outside a class setting.

John
Old 04-12-2004, 07:30 AM   #9
Harold gilbert Cureau

Profile:

John-I share your frustration, as I searched in vain for a facility when I moved here 31/2 years ago. A lot of the gyms in the area were either too expensive, inconveinient, or did not suit the type of training that I currently do. In addition, just not the type of atmosphere I want to train in. Since then, I have been training in the parking garage of my apartment building, at the local park (weather permitting) and when bitterly cold, my room. The garage has plenty of plumbing for pullups and a place to hang rings. I have also made a sandbag, some medicine balls and have "rescued" almost 150 pounds of iron weights that were thrown out. So basically, I've gotten to the point where I am happy with my primitive training conditions, and have learned to adapt-Gil