CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 06-15-2007, 07:10 AM   #1
Steve Sheffar

Profile:
I am in my 6th month of Crossfit. Male 31/ 170lbs/5'10"

I started out with the CFWU as RX'd. I did this for some time and then switched to:
3 times
10 OHS 45lbs
10 Push ups
15 V- ups
10 Dips
10 Deadhang PU
15 Good morning
15 Sec Samson Stretch

I am thinking I want to add 20lbs to the OHS and instead of V Snaps I want 15 Knees to Elbows. Can anyone think of anything else that will help me keep things new and still be FUN?

thanks
Old 06-17-2007, 03:21 PM   #2
Luke Hope

Profile:
They are ring dips, right?

You could always replace the pullups/dips with muscle ups... (note that I personally can't do a muscle up yet.)
Old 06-17-2007, 06:39 PM   #3
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:
Olympic lifting practice, burgender warmup, etc.
Old 06-23-2007, 05:20 AM   #4
Ben Moskowitz

Profile:
I guess I will post in here because it's basically the same topic. Not to hijack your concept for warmup but...

According to Tom Kurz, statically stretching before performing a dynamic activity is bad. Statically stretching results in decreased muscle ability for several minutes afterwards, probably more (I've heard up to 45 min. to an hour, but that's maybe an exaggeration).
In the article I read, he refers to a scientific article that tested the weighted calf raise. One group stretched for 30 seconds prior, the other didn't (I think). Anyway, the stretching group had an average 15% drop in weight than when they didn't stretch.

Tom Kurz is all about dynamically stretching for warmup, and statically/isometric/PNF stretching as part of the cooldown. So why don't we throw out the Sampson stretch of the CFWU and put in some dynamic stretching? I am proposing sort of a modified Greg A./CFWU hybrid-modification.

The "Tom Kurz CF Warmup" or to satisfy my ego, the "Ben Moskowitz WU," or to name it so it makes sense, the "Dynamic Stretching Warmup (DSWU or DWU)"

3 rounds of 10-15 reps
- stretching activity
- overhead squat with broomstick
- situp
- back extension
- pullup
- dip

for round 1, the stretching activity is the joint mobility exercises as found in the Greg A. warmup or any of Tom Kurz's videos or books. You can do it however you want, but from top to bottom, it goes (I might be forgetting some)

- Neck front to back
- Neck side to side
- Neck looking from one side to the other
(note, I've heard that rolling your head is not good)
- shoulder shrugs forward and back
(note, I am skipping a little here, but I'll get to that)
- maybe shake out your arms
- hip rotation a.k.a. thrust-your-hips-360-degrees in both directions
- knee joint "rotation" thing. This is the one where Greg has his knees together and is moving them around. You can do this with knees together, apart (where you "rotate" the knees in opposite directions, like "towards" or "away" from each other), or both ways I guess.
- ankle rotation in both directions for each leg.
- maybe shake your legs out

for round 2, dynamic upper body stretches, such as
- arm circles
- swinging arms up and down
- swinging arms side to side, and at angles

for round 3, dynamic lower body stretches, such as
- leg raise to front
- leg raise to side
- leg raise to rear
- knee raise

Ok, so you might've thought "Hey, there's a lot of stuff in between your neck and your hips you left out in round 1." Well, I'm trying to keep each round of "stretching activity" balanced in length. Plus, I think the generally good "order of operations" is joints first, dynamic stuff later.

You might also be thinking "Hey, I thought that the real order of ops. was joints, then general whole-body warmup like running, and then dynamic stretches. That way you are at less risk for straining a muscle while kicking because your body temp is elevated and whatnot."
Well, this is Crossfit right? Apparently, pullups and stuff are just as good for warming up as jogging. I mean, I am pretty sweaty after a round of the CFWU or two, so my experience is in favor of this. So, by doing the "stretching activity" in rounds, you loosen you joints up, warm up some, dynamic stretch, warm up more, dynamic stretch, and then warm up even more. By the end, you should be WARMED UP! Plus, loose and limber.

I chose upper body dynamic stretching first just because I usually feel like lower body kicks take more energy and prior warmup time. You could switch the order around, maybe that's even a good idea, but I think I would keep joints first.

Also, Tom Kurz recommends doing kicks in sets of 12 reps, until you are warmed up. For an elite athlete (who's flexible), this takes 1 set. For bums like myself, this takes more sets.

The idea behind dynamic stretching is you do the movement really "light and easy." You then increase the amplitude/height of the kick or swing or whatever gradually, as you loosen up. Never "throw" your leg up, always "raise" it up under control. As you reach your maximum ROM, you will probably start to do a little ballistic stretching at the edge of ROM, a.k.a. "throwing" you leg/arm. This is less controlled, but as long as you gradually get there, you should be fine. Don't injure yourself or fall on your butt.
If I am forgetting anything about the method, it's illustrated and talked about on the website I posted below.

I would compile a video so that all of this stuff makes more sense, but it's mostly been already. Checkout Greg A.'s warmup in the video section, and the videos, pictures, and descriptions at this link, just scroll down or click the links:
http://trickstutorials.com/index.php?page=content/flx3

for the record, Greg (CF) and Jujimufu (tricks tutorials) are way more in shape and thus better demo'ers than me.}
Old 06-24-2007, 03:12 PM   #5
Gordon Limb

Profile:
I keep the warmup just as randomly varied as the WoDs - with some focus on whatever my weak point is.

For now, I am rowing 2k or running 2.5k, some walking lunges, muscle-ups, kb swings and snatches (light weight). Throw in some double unders, HSPU, OHS, and L-sits for round 2. I almost always finish with a round or two of the Burgner warmup - one with the stick and one with a 10kg bar. If I am doing oly lifting that day, I will add another round with a 20kg bar.
Some dynamic stretching after the warmup is great, especially if I am a little tight in a certain area.

USAW teaches that static stretching prior to working out yields a decrease in performance. The best time to perform static stretches (if any) is post workout. I cool down with some dynamic stretches to keep the DOMS at bay.

Old 06-26-2007, 04:52 AM   #6
Steve Sheffar

Profile:
Added MU's to the warm up instead of dips and pull ups. Wow much harder. Thanks for assistance. Now I will add the Double unders in there and that will really kick my Butt.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:45 AM   #7
Ben Moskowitz

Profile:
I was just watching "Magnificent Mobility" and apparently the overhead warrior stretch a.k.a. Sampson stretch is a fine static stretch for warmup. The video says there are a few, because we want to elongate a few typically tight muscles: the hip flexors/ilopsias (Sampson stretch), the IT band/instensor fascillata (Pidgeon stretch) , and the neck (sort of a special neck stretch).

I guess it's recommended to loosen and lengthen other muscles, but to do so dynamically.

Anyway, I was under the impression that the Sampson stretch was chosen because it stretches a good number of muscles and provides "some stretching." I didn't know how plugged in Crossfit really is to sports science. I should take it more as gospel truth.