CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-11-2007, 09:19 PM   #1
Steve Liberati

Profile:
Not the seafood diet (u see food and eat it). I'm referring to the ever more popular "C" diet which consists of Carbs, Ciggs, Coffee, Chips, Coke Colas, Candy, Cookies and Cake. My parents (along with millions of other Americans) have been following this Crap diet for years with all the intentions in the world to quit (saying it for years). Naturally I'm worried about their health and like for them to make some perhaps (small) changes to their diet before its too late. Unfortunately the desire to change just is not there. So what gives? What (if any) hope do I have of getting them to eat better? If you have an effective strategy that has worked for you, please let me know.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:08 AM   #2
Chris Forbis

Profile:
I would start with trying to get them to cut out High Fructose Corn Syrup. I find that HFCS makes me feel worst out of all that stuff from above...

Baby steps...
Old 03-12-2007, 04:39 AM   #3
Steve Liberati

Profile:
True Chris, that would be a good first step indeed. Maybe next time I go over there, I'll help them do a little early spring cleaning by getting rid some of the junk in the frig...that or have the Feds raid the house for a crack (corn syrup) sweep.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:20 AM   #4
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Have dad and mom had a physical recently? If so the blood work and comments from the doctor could be a good springboard to get them going in the right direction...you know what your talking about, just need to apply it with the correct leverage.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:50 AM   #5
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
It's a hard one because of
1-People know what is bad for them, but they still eat it anyways
2-People will know they will be healthier, but they don't feel a need to change
3-People have emotional attachments to things such as coffee, cigs, sweets, etc...taking something away is feeling deprived in their minds...so they will always crave it
4-People typically wont take action until it's too late

It's more a mental war you have to fight...as if anyone saw sugar as something that was killing them quicker and taking away from being with their family...they would take action...but no one thinks that way. People also respond differently to things....like saying "You are killing yourself and will never see your grandkids grow up" is harsh...but is it not some truth? Will they dismiss it as craziness...or will they think about it and make a change not based on their health, but thinking of someone else such as grandkids.

Who knows...answer that question and you solve America's obesity problem. We all know what is bad for us...just ask any overweight person who knows they shouldnt eat things yet shove them down their throat on a daily basis.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:52 PM   #6
Damon Stewart

Profile:
Are you including all coffee/espresso or just coffee when it's loaded up with milk, sugar, syrup, etc? I love a coffee or espresso a day and feel like it enhances rather than detracts from my health and well being.