CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-10-2011, 07:22 PM   #21
John Seiler

Profile:
Re: How to get big and strong WITHOUT squats?

Reaching lunges might work well for you.

Also, I'm sure it won't be easy to find a sled in the DR and shipping would be prohibitive. If you're remotely handy you can make one out of a wheelbarrow's basket and some pipe for handles.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:52 PM   #22
Ben Kissam

Profile:

Besides getting big and strong, I would recommend getting some advice and try to figure out your issue. Being able to squat will in generally make you a healthier person and will help you with all your goals.

I realize that isn't the advice you are focused on, but maybe you will get it fixed at some point and that would be great for every aspect of life.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:00 PM   #23
Stephen Flamm

Profile:

Highly recommend Bulgarian split squats - they will build strength, increase hip flexibility, and balance out any asymmetries you may have between legs...
Old 02-10-2011, 11:49 PM   #24
Damon Stewart

Profile:

Do heavy power cleans & power snatches 2x/day for 6 weeks. Alternate supplementary pulling movements with pressing. You'll get stronger.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:11 AM   #25
Jorge Montesinos

Profile:

**sigh**

In a case like this, what would Jim say?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUk2zSvTlMo (NOT WFS)
Old 02-11-2011, 02:31 AM   #26
Henrik Schou Pedersen

Profile:

Try to google Pavel Tsatsoulines "Bear" program. Huuuge amount of deadlifts 3 times per week. I can't see how that wouldn't put some meat on you.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:44 AM   #27
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan Macdonald View Post
You could get a job at a farm.

But really, you should see why the squats hurt. If you can fix that, we can help A LOT more. But until then ... get a job
Why are you telling me to get a job, buddy? I became an engineer at age 21 and have worked full time ever since. I have a wife, a 4 year old, and a 1 year old son, and we all eat food thanks to my job selling equipment to the controls and automation industry of the underdeveloped country I have the bad luck to be living in. Please explain the "get a job" advice and how it could help me with my goals.

To everybody else with helpful suggestions: thank you very much! Those are some varied suggestions right there to keep me thinking! Wow, 6x/week 2x/day power snatches and power cleans! That's one to think about!

I own Power to the People and have read about the Bear program and the insane volume of deadlifts and presses. I am seriously considering this one for the time being while my hip flexor heals.

About the Bulgarian Split Squats: I love them!! When I tried the 70's big program I subbed squats for these, with my front foot elevated a bit for extra ROM, holding dumbells. I did this because of the previous experience of developing the hip flexor pain from heavy squats during SS several months back. I was working up in weight but when it got really heavy (for me) I think I injured my psoas and got hip flexor pain again. I think my form went to heck and I was hyper-arching the lower back too much. I am currently thinking that all of these problems were caused by a tight psoas and me doing the "man belly" Kelly Starret describes in some of his recent mobilityWOD videos. I'm confident (or at least hopeful) that eventually I WILL fix my issues and do heavy squats without problem. I was just looking for a program for the next several weeks until I heal. Until then, squats and bulgarian split squats are out of the question but believe me when I say I love both of them and can't wait to get back on them. It seems I get injured only when I go heavy. If I do thrusters in metcons and that kind of stuff, I don't get injured. Like I said, I've been reading a lot of books and stuff and have been stressing about this for a long time and I think I'm getting somewhere now that I understand a bit more about the psoas and other hip musculature.

Once again thanks to those who understood and offered advice!!!
Old 02-11-2011, 08:57 AM   #28
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo Garcia View Post
Why are you telling me to get a job, buddy? I became an engineer at age 21 and have worked full time ever since. I have a wife, a 4 year old, and a 1 year old son, and we all eat food thanks to my job selling equipment to the controls and automation industry of the underdeveloped country I have the bad luck to be living in. Please explain the "get a job" advice and how it could help me with my goals.

To everybody else with helpful suggestions: thank you very much! Those are some varied suggestions right there to keep me thinking! Wow, 6x/week 2x/day power snatches and power cleans! That's one to think about!

I own Power to the People and have read about the Bear program and the insane volume of deadlifts and presses. I am seriously considering this one for the time being while my hip flexor heals.

About the Bulgarian Split Squats: I love them!! When I tried the 70's big program I subbed squats for these, with my front foot elevated a bit for extra ROM, holding dumbells. I did this because of the previous experience of developing the hip flexor pain from heavy squats during SS several months back. I was working up in weight but when it got really heavy (for me) I think I injured my psoas and got hip flexor pain again. I think my form went to heck and I was hyper-arching the lower back too much. I am currently thinking that all of these problems were caused by a tight psoas and me doing the "man belly" Kelly Starret describes in some of his recent mobilityWOD videos. I'm confident (or at least hopeful) that eventually I WILL fix my issues and do heavy squats without problem. I was just looking for a program for the next several weeks until I heal. Until then, squats and bulgarian split squats are out of the question but believe me when I say I love both of them and can't wait to get back on them. It seems I get injured only when I go heavy. If I do thrusters in metcons and that kind of stuff, I don't get injured. Like I said, I've been reading a lot of books and stuff and have been stressing about this for a long time and I think I'm getting somewhere now that I understand a bit more about the psoas and other hip musculature.

Once again thanks to those who understood and offered advice!!!
His farm reference was a joke. Here in the states 'farm boys' are stereotyped as being big and strong.

You never answered my question about box squats.

Any program that has you deadlifting several times a week is not a good idea in my opinion unless the intensity is quite low or highly varied.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:13 AM   #29
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Oh, if that's the case I'm sorry, the language barrier must have prevented me from noticing it was a joke.

Chris: Around May last year, when I was doing SS and got a similar pain right under the left hip bone, I read about box squats and thought about trying them, and did try them once. Unfortunately, they still hurt, but then again, once I do get this pain, it hurts to squat an empty bar. But I never tried them while healthy. But loocking back and seeing that first squats did it, and later bulgarian split squats did it again, I suspect until I fix whatever is wrong, any type of heavy squatting motion will cause this pain.

The Bear program has you doing 5 reps with a weight you can do 7 with. Rest, and do 5 reps with 90% of that original weight. Rest again, and then you do 10-20 sets of 5 with 80% of the original weight. And this is to be done 3x/week. You just do that and presses (same set/rep scheme). Well, technically it's barbell Bent-presses but from what I've found people have subbed those for standing presses or bench presses. I was thinking of doing presses since my press is my weakest upper body lift. I've found a few testimonials of people gaining mass and strength with this, but maybe not enough to fully convinceme, heh heh. My deadlift is also weak (well, what isn't!?) and I can do those so I thought this would be a proper program for a few weeks until I heal.

Since I'm almost sure this is due to a tight psoas I'm gonna follow a protocol I found in a book to loosen the whole hip musculature. The thing is, since it's currently quite tender (it hurts a bit if I do a plank for example, but not an L-sit which is much tougher for me), I can't stretch it 'cause it wont heal. My plan is to let it heal (no squatting or anything until it does), then stretch it a lot with the new stretches I've found after hours and hours of surfing the web and reading stuff and e-mailing (bothering) people with questions.. and then I'll try squatting again. Probably the 70's big program (this time as prescribed) as I liked it a lot. Sorry I don't want to make this thread suitable for the "injuries" section, heh. I was just looking on opinions for programs without squats. Most everyone suggested doing all other compound lifts which I kindof already knew, I was looking for specific schedules and rep/sets people followed and got results. But apparently people either train with squats, or only do curls and tricep kickbacks - there is no in between!
Old 02-11-2011, 10:29 AM   #30
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

This guy describes what seems to be the EXACT pain I get: WFS from this same forums: http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=26553

All I found is this, in other forums too... people asking about the problem but no definite answers.