CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-26-2007, 04:33 AM   #11
Brendan Sonnichsen

Profile:
Luke,

I love tuna, too. However, it's advisable to lower your tuna intake significantly. Just google "mercury in tuna" to learn more.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:58 AM   #12
Chris Forbis

Profile:
Might also check out (wild caught) canned salmon. Lower on the food chain, so lower mercury content...
Old 03-26-2007, 07:20 AM   #13
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Michael,
If you're going to do dairy (which I generally have my reservations about, for more info read this article http://thepaleodiet.com/newsletter/n...ierVol2No5.pdf w/f safe), then the only dairy that can even be considered remotely healthy (for calves, much less humans) is unheated dairy products. This is different than just the term "raw" in the marketplace, as "raw" foods are allowed to be heated up to 160F. For more info on the cheese I would recommend if I recommended cheese, see http://organicpastures.com/products_cheese.html w/f safe.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:30 AM   #14
Emily Glenn

Profile:
Re: Vegetarian Diets?

Bumping this thread...

I'm a lacto-ovo vegetarian. I get most of my protein from whey protein powder (usually added to milk, natural yogurt or oatmeal), eggs and eggwhites, non-fat and low-fat dairy (yogurt, skim milk, cottage cheese, cheese), some full-fat or part-skim cheese and a bit from beans and legumes. I eat tofu on occasion and rarely eat any other meat subsitutes. Once every week or two I'll have a protein bar. I used to eat those things all the time, but after spending two weeks in Europe (where such fake food is frowned upon) I decided to try filling my diet more with "real" food (i.e.: either whole foods or processed things in their fresh, complete state--i.e.: a little slice of regular cheese rather than a larger slice of some freakish lowfat product with a long ingredient list) and that has been going well. I'm more satisfied and I think a lot of protein bars and similar are too easy to gulp down quickly. One isn't so likely to gulp down two slices of quiche without knowing it.

I'm not expecting to follow a Zone Diet, as that would be nearly impossible for me, and I don't want to do the Zone Vegetarian thing; I think whey protein is preferable to vegetable protein from tofu as a primary source.

I'm just wondering if there are any other vegetarians here, and what sorts of diets you follow. (Hopefully this post isn't followed by the sound of crickets chirping and tumbleweeds drifting by...)
Old 12-18-2007, 11:20 AM   #15
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Glenn View Post
Bumping this thread...
(Hopefully this post isn't followed by the sound of crickets chirping and tumbleweeds drifting by...)
I'm thinking, Pan Fry the Crickets, some garlic, sauté the Tumbleweed with some Olive Oil, hint of Sea Salt. Sounds Paleo yummy.

Sorry Em, after being a Veggie for over 25 yrs, finding CF, these boards/community, the fine folks over at PM, I'm working OT to make up for wasted years, that and I was a runner for that same time frame.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:33 AM   #16
Mira McCombe

Profile:

It really doesn't seem that difficult to get enough protein. Try tracking it on Fitday. I admit organic soymilk (fortified and unsweetened) and tofu are staples, although I rotate soy products out on the weekends. I also like "Healthy Hemp" bread (7 g protein per slice), Cedar's baba ghanouj (24 g protein per container) and lentils. I usually eat about 4-6 servings of nuts/seeds every day, with the macronutrient breakdown tending to be 60% fat, 20% carb, 20% protein. Often the protein is more than 100 g.

Nope, I'm not a scientist and I know nothing about protein absorption but my mental focus and physical energy are great.

I wanted better performance, so I started CrossFitting. Incorporating meat into my diet is not the first thing I'd pick to tinker with.

Choice is yours, of course.

Last edited by Mira McCombe : 12-18-2007 at 11:35 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-18-2007, 12:55 PM   #17
Emily Glenn

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cohen View Post
I'm thinking, Pan Fry the Crickets, some garlic, sauté the Tumbleweed with some Olive Oil, hint of Sea Salt. Sounds Paleo yummy.
Hee! My DH is an avid meat-eater (he made a smoker out of a [new] trash can and my Dad raves about the meat he's smoked), so I really don't care if other people eat meat. My usual thought on it is that it would be best if the US population in general ate less meat, and only ate meat that was ethically bred and slaughtered.

It really doesn't seem that difficult to get enough protein.

I agree. I haven't tracked lately, but I did for a while on a site similar to FitDay, and unless I had a very sloppy, bad day, my protein was fine. Iron is the trickier thing, but mine's usually in the healthy range--if not quite high enough to donate blood every time I try--thanks to a multi.

I should say that I had a few bites of fish in Europe, so my vegetarianism is compromised, but I am considering eating fish occasionally. Oddly, I've been a vegetarian for about 15 years, and the only thing I've craved whatsoever is tuna, which is strange because I wasn't much of a tuna- or fish-eater during my meat-eating days. But I don't miss any of the rest at all.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:28 PM   #18
Scott Clark

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cohen View Post

Sorry Em, after being a Veggie for over 25 yrs, finding CF, these boards/community, the fine folks over at PM, I'm working OT to make up for wasted years, that and I was a runner for that same time frame.

With the great dishes you've cooked up and posted, it's hard to imagine you ever being a non meat eater You're making up for lost time in a big way!
Old 12-18-2007, 01:53 PM   #19
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:

I'm also a former vegetarian. I don't do factory meat at all. I only buy from local farmers whose farms I can visit and see the animal for myself. I also don't eat farmed fish, only wild-caught. I try to buy dairy from grassfed animals---not so easy to find, but also possible. I stopped eating tofu and most soy products because I've come to consider them also "manufactured" foods.

If you are interested in finding a source, check out www.eatwild.com.

Protein sources that might help you include canned sardines, canned or pouched wild salmon, lowfat cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, raw milk cheeses.

You might also find a book called THE OMNIVORE'S DILEMMA interesting.

Susie
Old 12-18-2007, 02:12 PM   #20
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:

I too was a vegetarian, raw foodist,, macrobiotic, vegan--just a few to name --for a total of 14 yrs. Then I was enlightened by my CF coach. Eating meat the first few times was aquiet thing to be done alone. WHen my family first saw they freaked out...!! It was really funny. Long story short--went zone/paleo/ and now IF. Within the first few months dropped several clothes sizes. Now 18months later--am pretty stable at size 4/6 from a 14 last August (and previously a size 22).
I am done with vegetarian and am much healthier for it too. All the grassfed meat etc has helped along with the exercise etc to dramatically change my blood sugar and cholesterol too!

You could check my blog or fitday log in my signature for more info--or pm me too!