CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 11-18-2010, 05:01 PM   #21
Tamara Cohen

Profile:
Re: Squat Transferability

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Brigham View Post
YMMV of course. If low bar feels more natural to you there's not a lot of compelling reasons to switch frankly. For me low bar cranks the crap out of my shoulders and doesn't do my elbows any favors either.

The question was specifically low bar AND belts. I have not seen the addition of belts resulting in lower squats. Look at my squat position - that low position is not even possible with a thick powerlifting style belt, for example.
And, that is my argument for trying low bar again for a while. It feels better, and my form is much, much better. If I'm doing front squats and OHS anyway, then it makes sense to me to low bar if I can get stronger that way. Certain people who give input on my Oly training disagree, but they don't agree with me keeping deadlifts either .

I'd have to experiment with the belt to know if there was a difference for me. I starting using a belt for my high bar sets, and I'm only back to low bar in the last week. I squatted one 3x5 set low bar with the belt and one without. I honestly notice a difference wearing a belt much more with deads than with squats anyway, but I am not squatting that much yet.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:02 PM   #22
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Green View Post
Besides knee safety, isn't Louie really adamant that the box squat and wide stance low bar squat with a focus on sitting back is far more transferable to GPP than any other style?
It hits the posterior chain and hips to a greater degree and he definitely feels that has greater transferability, yes.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:42 PM   #23
Brian Degenaro

Profile:

Tamara,

Deadlifts can be iffy depending on the coach, many would refuse to do any kind. However, it all depends on the lifter if he/she ought to do deadlifts. It all depends on the why and the how.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:56 PM   #24
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Degenaro View Post
Tamara,

Deadlifts can be iffy depending on the coach, many would refuse to do any kind. However, it all depends on the lifter if he/she ought to do deadlifts. It all depends on the why and the how.
I know .

My personal reasons for keeping deads are: 1)I need to get an eff ton stronger overall, and 2)I enjoy them.

So, if I look at the opinions of people who have actually watched me lift and therefore have the most insight into my lifts: Glenn says the fastest way to a 300 lb deadlift is a 200 lb clean, haha. He's certainly not recommending that I do deads. Peter Haas, my local coach isn't recommending them either, and it will start to irk him if they mess up my pull on my cleans and snatches or if they mess up my Oly workouts in general due to lack of recovery. And, Rip says keep them because I need to get an eff ton stronger period, and he teaches the pull from the floor in a deadlift set up anyway.

So, I'm keeping them for now and pulling one heavy set of 5 per week. And, we'll see...
Old 11-18-2010, 10:07 PM   #25
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

I think deadlifts are okay for O-lifters, especially speed deadlifts. (aka "cleans")
Old 11-18-2010, 10:19 PM   #26
John Seiler

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Brigham View Post
YMMV of course. If low bar feels more natural to you there's not a lot of compelling reasons to switch frankly
Exactly. I carry the bar very low but I also have a very long torso in relation to my legs. So the low bar puts the bar in the correct position to my back/front center. Every time I try to put the bar higher I end up with all kinds of weird pains. Throwing out blanket statements about which squat is best for all athletes doesn't make a lot of sense to me.