CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 10-10-2010, 02:03 PM   #1
Stephen Yosypiw

Profile:
Return to CFSB, overtraining?

Hey guys
I've been off the forums for a while, but still been training hard.

My problem is this: Am I overtraining? I have a few symptoms but am feeling that I am get only slightly less than normal rest. As I switch back to CFSB, should i reduce the metcons or high rep sets?

Brief overview:
From January to July did CFSB including Bench Press, 5 days a week. Saw massive gains in all the lifts and metcon, did some gymnastics and running etc but nothing too much more.
July-August, I went travelling around 14 different countries for almost 2 months, and slacked. Did workouts maybe 3 times a week, but very little heavy weights and short metcons. Lots of hiking up mountains, walking 10 hours a day with an immensely heavy pack, climbing walls, etc.
From September to now, I've been training quite intensely in mma, wrestling, judo, and bjj. Had a wrestling tournament last week, and will have an important one in the last weekend of october. During this time, I did heavy squats, dls, presses, and bench presses about 4 times a week, metcons twice a week and various martial arts training for about 16 to 18 hours a week.

From this week, I will be doing a 6-8 week cycle of CFSB. I've set up my excel file so I know what I should be lifting each week, but haven't written down my metcons yet. I will be doing approximately 4 hours judo, 4 hours wrestling, 4 hours bjj, 6 hours of mma and 4 hours of standup a week on top of this. I can reduce these hours. Should I reduce the number of metcons or high rep sets, or even reduce the days I do CFSB? Any help is appreciated

Cheers

(Dang, that was long. If you read through it, thanks)
Old 10-10-2010, 05:41 PM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Return to CFSB, overtraining?

If you're training martial arts for 22 hours per week, why are you even considering additional metcon?

Katherine
Old 10-10-2010, 06:47 PM   #3
Marcus Allen

Profile:

I'm with Katherine on this. Add in the volume of JUST the lifts of CFSB and you're asking for issues.

If you're 3 weeks out from an important tournament. You need to think about peaking for that and not much else.

Afterwards you can reevaluate and set up a new cycle until the next event.

Be smart about this and I'm sure you'll kick @$$.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:18 AM   #4
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

CFSB by itself is very high volume. You want to add TWENTY-TWO HOURS of martial arts training per week on top of that.

You say you have a few symptoms of overtraining. You'll want to rest up and get rid of those symptoms as soon as you can, because the further you get into the overtrained state, the harder it is to get out of it.

Doing something like what you suggested when you're feeling even a tiny bit overtrained is... well, stupid, honestly.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:23 AM   #5
Stephen Yosypiw

Profile:

Thanks guys, I appreciate your replies! Decided to drop the hours of martial arts training a bit and do only the main lifts, but with less frequency. And do veeery slow increase or just aim to keep the lift numbers without goign down. Will update again. Cheers
Old 10-12-2010, 05:58 AM   #6
Stephen Yosypiw

Profile:

Oh and sleeping a fair amount more as well now, and eating more in general has helped my energy levels the past few days. Will be dropping to approximately 16-18 hours per week of martial arts training again.