CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 03-31-2010, 08:23 AM   #31
Chance Adams

Profile:
Re: UFC 111 predictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Payne View Post
Silva does not walk around at 230...He walks around at approx. 210 and hardly has to cut at all for his LHW matches. GSP walks around at about 190. Silva is awesome, never ever fought anyone as well rounded as GSP. GSP is also a BJJ Black Belt. Anderson seems to have the most challenge with excellent ground fighters (Travis Lutter). I do not think GSP could handle Anderson's stand up...but I do think he could wear Anderson down for sure.
Silva fought BJ Penn and won via decision SEVERAL years back. Silva of course had a significant size advantage. Also, Penn's ground game is better than Lutters and GSP's combined. Of course, that really doesn't matter because Silva is much, much better than he was then.

GSP is well rounded!? When was the last time he stood and banged with anyone? His chin is obviously questionable. His boxing is lackluster. He's a phenomenal wrestler. Frankly, he's starting to remind me of Ricardo Arona when he was laying and praying during the Pride days. (then the Shogun of old, trashed him in exciting fashion). His fights are getting boring and he can't finish. Don't get me wrong, if I was Hardy, you would have thought I was trying to answer a question on Jeopardy as soon as GSP set the armbar, or the kimura for that matter.

I'm not sure where you get your facts in regards to Silva's walking weight, but I'd bet the house that you're wrong. I've ready numerous times that Fedor and Anderson match up great in terms of weight. Silva gets a slight height and reach advantage.

Last edited by Chance Adams : 03-31-2010 at 08:35 AM.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:24 AM   #32
Celio Silva

Profile:

Exactly Jason, and the only reason why Luter got Silva to the ground is because Silva JUMPED AT HIM WITH A FLYING KNEE that BARELY missed Lutter's skull. Anderson is simply not afraid of being takendown at all. He did lose a couple of fights by submisions back in the days but currently he is at a whole other level grappling-wise (AND striking-wise!).

GSP vs Silva would decrease the GSP nut-huggering and put a stop to his hype. GSP "dominated" Hardy, but after the fight GSP's face was the one scratched up; Hardy's face didn't have a SINGLE scratch! This fight already exposed GSP badly.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:35 AM   #33
Matt Rexin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Hunter View Post
I've never personally seen Silva lose a fight but apparently he was subbed a couple of times over in Japan (someone with a longer history of mma fandom can confirm this hopefully).

Of course, that is now several years ago and he is no doubt a much better fighter. Not sure if he's ever been defeated with strikes.
Silva has technically lost 3 times over in Japan (2 sub losses to Chonan and Takase, as well as a DQ for an illegal kick to Okami). That was relatively early in his career so he patched up the holes in his ground game.

With regards to the GSP-Silva fight, I have serious doubts it will happen. Silva should move to 205, and it will take a while for GSP to bulk up to middleweight. If Rua defeats Machida, it opens the door for Silva to fight for the lhw title. That's how I see that moving, or maybe even Silva fighting Mir like he wanted to.

Last edited by Matt Rexin : 03-31-2010 at 08:38 AM.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:40 AM   #34
David M Tillotson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Hunter View Post
I think GSP is the current #2 pound for pound champ. Silva is still #1, by a lot. Lots of ways for Silva to win, very few for GSP. I would not miss that fight for anything!
Obviously this thread is populated by UFC fans, not MMA fans. How can anyone say this, or talk about heavyweights for that matter, without even mentioning Fedor? Fedor fights at a chubby 230, and could probably easily get down to 205. Why does he not consider this? Becuase he destroys everyone in the heavyweight division. Carwin vs Lesnar will be a decent fight, but they are still fighting for the second best heavyweight.

And if you have never seen Fedor fight, go to youtube and check him out. The Fedor/Randleman fight is my personal favorite.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:42 AM   #35
Chance Adams

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celio Silva View Post
GSP vs Silva would decrease the GSP nut-huggering and put a stop to his hype. GSP "dominated" Hardy, but after the fight GSP's face was the one scratched up; Hardy's face didn't have a SINGLE scratch! This fight already exposed GSP badly.
What about GSP did it expose? Unless it was the first time you've watched him fight, it didn't expose anything most people didn't already know.

This fight was no different than his previous 4. He dominated the pace and location of the fight. Avoided the standup within reason. Enforced his strategy on Hardy, and there was nothing Dan could do. Plus, he came really close to subbing him twice. Dan's tough as a damn boot, clearly.

@ David: re-read #31

Fedor v Silva is the fight to see. Similar in size, weight etc. No one cuts weight. It's just two regular dude going at it. And by regular I mean crazy effin beats with sick skills.

Last edited by Chance Adams : 03-31-2010 at 08:45 AM.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:55 AM   #36
Matt Rexin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M Tillotson View Post
Obviously this thread is populated by UFC fans, not MMA fans. How can anyone say this, or talk about heavyweights for that matter, without even mentioning Fedor? Fedor fights at a chubby 230, and could probably easily get down to 205. Why does he not consider this? Becuase he destroys everyone in the heavyweight division. Carwin vs Lesnar will be a decent fight, but they are still fighting for the second best heavyweight.

And if you have never seen Fedor fight, go to youtube and check him out. The Fedor/Randleman fight is my personal favorite.
I'm a big Fedor fan, but his last few recent fights have been against somewhat suspect opponents. Sure, Rogers is dangerous, but his next fight is against Werdum?! He needs to be facing JDS, Velasquez, Carwin and Lesnar, not UFC washouts or Dutch horsemeat eaters.

Wait, how did this thread turn into a Fedor one?....
Old 03-31-2010, 09:25 AM   #37
Ryan Hoegner

Profile:

You gotta love Carwin. He was actually back at his 9-5 job like the rest of us on Monday.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:29 AM   #38
William Hunter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M Tillotson View Post

I love Fedor (the Randleman fight is one of the most ridiculously awesome fights I've ever seen). Going by total body of work I'd probably put him ahead of even Silva but his last 2-3 years of relative inactivity and/or fighting sub par competition is starting to affect his overall ranking (as it pertains to internet message board mma discussions )

The UFC is currently the top organization. It's a shame that the fight for dollars is keeping Fedor out of the deepest pool of talent, where he belongs, and where I feel he would reign supreme. My fear is he will be out of his prime before he can get matched up with the other top HW's.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:45 AM   #39
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Rexin View Post
I'm a big Fedor fan, but his last few recent fights have been against somewhat suspect opponents. Sure, Rogers is dangerous, but his next fight is against Werdum?! He needs to be facing JDS, Velasquez, Carwin and Lesnar, not UFC washouts or Dutch horsemeat eaters.

Wait, how did this thread turn into a Fedor one?....
All good MMA threads ultimately turn into Fedor threads!

Old 03-31-2010, 10:43 AM   #40
Chance Adams

Profile:

I agree Will. Even against Rogers, Fedor looked kinda sloppy. Same story in his fight with Arlovski. Given, AA is a great boxer...Rogers, not so much.

yet, until proven otherwise, he's at the top.

Werdum is no slouch though. 13-4 with quite a resume. Will he win?...highly doubtful.