CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-12-2009, 01:53 PM   #11
Cassie Savage

Profile:
Re: HELP!!! cant stay away from SUGAR/CARBS

If I'm eating a lot of fat and protein from stuff like nuts and seeds, avocados, oils, and eggs then I don't really crave anything, including sugar. Eating more fat really helps control appetite.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:40 AM   #12
John Jaeckel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfrieth Sonny Rodriguez View Post
Ok heres the problem, I can actually pull off almost a full day on the paleo diet but then at around 11pm I get this INSANE craving for sugar and carbs and I just gorge down everything in my path thats not paleo, so if anybody has any advise on how to stay on the paleo diet effectively PLEASE HELP.

Sonny r.

thax guys
Try this: a handful or two of nuts and a big glass of water.

Might sound overly simplistic (and/or boring), but I bet you really don't feel like eating anything after that. Relatively small amounts of nuts fill me up big time. Then just go to bed and have a nice balanced (Paleo) breakfast on rising.

Also, get the sugary crap out of your pantry. If it's not there, you won't eat it. Especially at that hour.

One more thing i just thought of: are you drinking alcohol in the evenings? I used to have this late night gorging issue after drinking especially. I've stopped drinking as part of Paleo-ish dieting and now I don't do the gorging either!

Last edited by John Jaeckel : 12-13-2009 at 07:44 AM.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:48 PM   #13
Sarah Clent

Profile:

I have the same problem at times....

All i can say is that i thinl your mind is the only thing that can help you. Really you dont want that junk... So dont buy it. Dont have it around. Out of site out of mind!!!! Have a large glass of water with ice and some lemon or lime juice.. Some nuts or even a bit of dried fruit to get your 'sugar' kick and then go brush your teeth (food is yuk after brushing teeth) then go to sleep..... Dont allow yourself to do it anymore. Be mentally strong. Its hard but you can do it be strong!!!!!
x
Old 12-14-2009, 07:53 AM   #14
Richard Furr

Profile:

Here's some good advice I've found helpful:

Stop it!

Watch this for some great wisdom from Bob Newhart:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1g3ENYxg9k (WFS)
Old 12-14-2009, 01:55 PM   #15
Paul Casimir

Profile:

I second what Katherine said. Eat clean food so you aren't hungry.

Get more of your favorite paleo foods and eat those instead. Almond butter or sun butter with bananas has replaced my late-night snacking which used to be leftover frozen pizza, chips, and cookies.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:31 PM   #16
Sarah Powell

Profile:

i have a sweet tooth as well! it is hard to kick the bad sugar habits we have, but i always eat berries to ease my sugar cravings!
Old 12-16-2009, 03:00 PM   #17
Jean-Patrick Millette

Profile:

drink a high quality tea. Oolongs can have a fruity-floral awesome taste.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:11 PM   #18
Joe Dagen

Profile:

My two cents:

"Out of sight out of mind" and telling yourself "you don't want this" leads down a non-useful path because its not true this early in the game. Until you contact the consequences of eating well you do want those sugary foods - that's why you asked for help initially. No reason not to be honest with yourself... in this moment, right now, you might strongly want to eat something full of sugar. It's okay to feel that way. Hold yourself and your history lightly. If you start buying into things like, "I shouldn't want this! Sugar is bad!" then when you do slip and eat something poor it might go: "I ate that. That had sugar. Sugar is bad. I said I didn't want that. I am a bad person. I failed. I will never do this. I should just quit trying this."

Instead, maybe try this: the next time you're really craving something sweet, ask yourself, "how much can I crave those sweets and still make a salad with chicken?" Or, "how much can I crave those sweets and still whip up some eggs and bacon?" Or, "how much can I crave those sweets and just brush my teeth and go to bed?" Or sing "I want sweet food" to the tune of "Jingle Bells" or "We Wish You a Merry Christmas." It's just a feeling, it can't hurt you, so play around with it. Observe it. Watch how it ebbs and flows.

You started a post about wanting help with cravings. If your hope was, "can someone tell me what to do to get rid of the cravings" then you're setting yourself up for failure. The cravings will not go away in the moment. You will crave sugar even as you deny it to yourself. So, for what are you willing to shoulder those initial and powerful cravings? For health? For looks? For performance? For sexuality? For validation? Whatever it is, try not to fall for the "just try really hard to forget about it!!!" mantra. If that worked I could say, "Don't think of a yellow Jeep right now" and you wouldn't. But you do. You always will. Try to make a craving, desire, want, feeling or emotion go away and you're just going to get more of it. That's the nature of the beast.

So, crave away! But continue to fill your body with thoughtful, functional food while you crave the foods you previously ate. The cravings will pass in time...
Old 12-18-2009, 02:42 PM   #19
Christy Labrie

Profile:

Jumping in here
Just wanted to say thank you for all the helpful posts.
I really liked the one about "dont think about a yellow jeep"- I think I will try not to forget about the Hershey Kisses, just be aware of it and realize that my goals are bigger and more important than a "quick fix".
I know, for me, it takes 2 good weeks of paleo to be on the waggon and not really wanting (caring?) about sweets.

I am just so ready for the new year. I am starting the Whole30 as a kick off on Jan 1st--anyone in?
Right now, I am just trying to be "good" with the paleo
Old 12-18-2009, 03:54 PM   #20
Brandon Fisel

Profile:

Quote:
Or, "how much can I crave those sweets and still whip up some eggs and bacon?"
This is what I always think about when I have cravings and the bacon always wins!