CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-07-2009, 03:52 PM   #941
Paul Szoldra

Profile:
Re: paleo "change your life in 30 days"

I'm temporarily a barracks rat myself but I still grill steaks and chicken every week and then throw it in the fridge... chow hall never provides enough protein.

To Laura, who said that pregnant women craving fast food have something wrong with them or whatever it was originally said:

My wife had times where she couldn't stomach certain foods. She would just be sick looking at chicken, or meat, or whatever. And then there are cravings... cereal, fast food, whatever. There's about a billion hormones telling her to eat chocolate, or whatever other junk. I wasn't about to argue. I appreciated being alive.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:00 PM   #942
David Knudsen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Szoldra View Post
To Laura, who said that pregnant women craving fast food have something wrong with them or whatever it was originally said:

I wasn't about to argue. I appreciated being alive.
This being the most important statement. You know there is some crazy stuff going on in your body when you can sit on the couch and grow a spleen for another person.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:11 PM   #943
Cassie Savage

Profile:

There's still no way she actually NEEDS fast food. Sure she may crave the hell out of it, but she's probably still better off not eating it. I personally don't think being pregnant justifies eating fast food, I don't care how bad the cravings are.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:54 PM   #944
James Rollo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie Savage View Post
There's still no way she actually NEEDS fast food. Sure she may crave the hell out of it, but she's probably still better off not eating it. I personally don't think being pregnant justifies eating fast food, I don't care how bad the cravings are.
You guys(girls really, which surprises me) are missing the point. The meals he is cooking at home are making her sick and she cannot hold them down. What's best for everyone at that time is whatever the hell she can eat and not throw up. He has a choice, go get McDonald's for his wife or put undue stress on her, the baby, himself and the relationship by refusing to do so. The baby will not come out with diabetes and high blood pressure, it will be perfectly fine.

This cult following of Paleo is getting rediculous. There are much better ways to advise people on good food choices; berating them for previous choices and touting an end all, be all diet that you should never stray from is not a good way. For the sake of this board, cut that **** out.

Since I don't want to take the thread in an unintended direction I'll post how my Paleo expirement is going. I've been mostly paleo for 2 years now. This time last year I stopped caring about what I ate while doing Starting Strength. I didn't eat bad stuff too much, but I did have Philly Cheese steaks or a cheeseburger once a week or so, along with the gallons of milk I was consuming. I stopped in March and went back to my old diet, which consisted of Paleo + Ice-Cream at night(Thanks Bryers Thread that is now burried under the endless "is this paleo?" threads). I dropped about 20 pounds from march to July I believe, wasn't weighing myself much, but sometime during the summer I got to 190. And I stayed there at 190, body composition changed slowly, but has been more or less the same since october. Mid november I thought I might not be eating enough(~1800 calories a day) and added a second salad to my lunch. I didn't gain nor lose any weight from adding this extra 200-300 calories(mostly from dressing).

I decided to make this month Dedicated December to my diet. I stopped eating bacon in the morning(I want to lean out, so the fats gotta go). And stopped my Ice-cream ritual, except on sunday nights when I watch Dexter. I weighed 187.6 and I can tell im leaning out more, so I'm excited for the rest of the weeks ahead. I'm also doing well in my workouts, hitting PR on fran with 4 minutes yesterday and keeping up with the top 10% of my gym. Once I lean out, the Ice-cream and bacon are comming back baby as well with the occasional Pizza slice and beer with friends. I can eat to live to 120, but what good would that be with no friends and the only stories are of my vegetable garden I tend to by my lonesome self?
Old 12-07-2009, 09:24 PM   #945
Cassie Savage

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Rollo View Post
You guys(girls really, which surprises me) are missing the point. The meals he is cooking at home are making her sick and she cannot hold them down. What's best for everyone at that time is whatever the hell she can eat and not throw up. He has a choice, go get McDonald's for his wife or put undue stress on her, the baby, himself and the relationship by refusing to do so. The baby will not come out with diabetes and high blood pressure, it will be perfectly fine.

This cult following of Paleo is getting rediculous. There are much better ways to advise people on good food choices; berating them for previous choices and touting an end all, be all diet that you should never stray from is not a good way. For the sake of this board, cut that **** out.

Since I don't want to take the thread in an unintended direction I'll post how my Paleo expirement is going. I've been mostly paleo for 2 years now. This time last year I stopped caring about what I ate while doing Starting Strength. I didn't eat bad stuff too much, but I did have Philly Cheese steaks or a cheeseburger once a week or so, along with the gallons of milk I was consuming. I stopped in March and went back to my old diet, which consisted of Paleo + Ice-Cream at night(Thanks Bryers Thread that is now burried under the endless "is this paleo?" threads). I dropped about 20 pounds from march to July I believe, wasn't weighing myself much, but sometime during the summer I got to 190. And I stayed there at 190, body composition changed slowly, but has been more or less the same since october. Mid november I thought I might not be eating enough(~1800 calories a day) and added a second salad to my lunch. I didn't gain nor lose any weight from adding this extra 200-300 calories(mostly from dressing).

I decided to make this month Dedicated December to my diet. I stopped eating bacon in the morning(I want to lean out, so the fats gotta go). And stopped my Ice-cream ritual, except on sunday nights when I watch Dexter. I weighed 187.6 and I can tell im leaning out more, so I'm excited for the rest of the weeks ahead. I'm also doing well in my workouts, hitting PR on fran with 4 minutes yesterday and keeping up with the top 10% of my gym. Once I lean out, the Ice-cream and bacon are comming back baby as well with the occasional Pizza slice and beer with friends. I can eat to live to 120, but what good would that be with no friends and the only stories are of my vegetable garden I tend to by my lonesome self?
I should have elaborated. I oppose fast food because of the environmental impact, the horrible conditions of the animals, etc. I'm not a hardcore paleo advocate or anything, I also think people should live a little and indulge, just not in fast food.

I guess what I'm saying is that there's got to be SOMETHING other than fast food that she can eat, paleo or not.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:22 AM   #946
Richard Furr

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie Savage View Post
I agree Cassie. Her reaction to healthy food may be psychosomatic. I'm sure many emotions come up and are very hard to repress during pregnancy.

I've found from my own experience, paleo foods don't do very well at distracting me from and helping repress unpleasant emotions. Fast food and junk food does the trick very well.

I would still push for paleo foods and against fast food, for the sake of the future health of the child.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:24 AM   #947
Michael R Murphy

Profile:

Hey Folks, I am thinking about the 30 day Paleo Challenge. I bought the Book and have been reading articles on the web. but what can't seem to find is meal timing? Seems like most people are eating three meals with a couple snacks. I am not used to this. I usally eat about 6 meals. Thoughts? Also, with the carb calories so low, will it still be possible to build muscle?
Old 12-08-2009, 07:31 AM   #948
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael R Murphy View Post
Hey Folks, I am thinking about the 30 day Paleo Challenge. I bought the Book and have been reading articles on the web. but what can't seem to find is meal timing? Seems like most people are eating three meals with a couple snacks. I am not used to this. I usally eat about 6 meals. Thoughts? Also, with the carb calories so low, will it still be possible to build muscle?
Michael: Eat when you're hungry, until you are full. You didn't find it anywhere, because it isn't any more complicated than that. If you prefer to eat 6 meals, do that. Most people fall into the "3 big meals with some snacks" category, because that's what they found works for them.

As for building muscle, eat enough protein and you should be fine.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:08 AM   #949
Michael R Murphy

Profile:

And what about meal portions? I mean, I assume that I mak esure that I eat meat, carbs (from veg and fruits) and fat at each meal..right? Is there a ratio?

I assume I should just eat meat alone and then eat veg, fruit at another sitting
Old 12-08-2009, 08:14 AM   #950
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael R Murphy View Post
And what about meal portions? I mean, I assume that I mak esure that I eat meat, carbs (from veg and fruits) and fat at each meal..right? Is there a ratio?

I assume I should just eat meat alone and then eat veg, fruit at another sitting
Like I said, eat until you're full.

There is NOT a prescribed macronutrient ratio that you should be eating with Paleo. You're overthinking it. Just eat the allowed foods of your choosing when you want in the quantity that you want.

Whether it's conscious or not, people generally do eat protein carbs and fat together in one meal...but you don't have to.