CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 10-06-2009, 01:11 PM   #31
Glenn Pendlay

Profile:
Re: competitive rowing times?

Andrew,

I am trying mightily to set the damper down! I used to row with it on 10 on everything... I believe I could still do my best times at 10... but ive slowly lowered it to 8 on my 500m, and about 5 on my 2k and 5k rows... It just takes SO MUCH MORE EFFORT to row the same pace at a lower damper setting!

Glenn
Old 10-07-2009, 08:49 AM   #32
Leslie Powell

Profile:

I don't have the link handy, but if you google "The Pete Plan" you should find a pretty decent basic (but not stupid basic) rowing program.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:30 PM   #33
Andy McLaughlin

Profile:

I've at times followed the pete plan, it's a very solid program. w/f/s http://thepeteplan.wordpress.com/the-pete-plan/

the main idea is that you do one hard set of endurance intervals, and one hard set of short distance intervals a week. The intervals are on a tri-weekly rotation, so you mix up the distances. Aside from the interval sessions you do some distance rows and one harder distance row. It might look like a time consuming plan, but if need be you can drop some of the distance sessions.

Another training plan is the Wolverine Plan, developed by a former coach of the Michigan crew team: http://www.concept2.com/forums/wolverine_plan.htm w/f/s

many of the ideas are the same, but there's one big difference. Here a lot of the mileage is done at low ratings, to focus on power per stroke. Some people find this to be very useful for training, others find it to be pointless. The Wolverine Plan is a little more schedule intensive, but it can also be adjusted to your time needs.

Crossfit Endurance would be another alternative, though to be honest I've only dabbled with their workouts. I know there's tons of science behind it, but I've decided to stick with more traditional training methods. If any rowers have had success with CFE I'd love to hear about it.