CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 05-25-2009, 03:46 PM   #51
Jonathan Slater

Profile:
Re: I Moustache you a question...

I find it highly suspicious and bizarre that all you U.S. folks say 'stache' whereas we distant Brits would say 'tache'. I've never heard 'stache' before this thread.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:34 PM   #52
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Slater View Post
I find it highly suspicious and bizarre that all you U.S. folks say 'stache' whereas we distant Brits would say 'tache'. I've never heard 'stache' before this thread.
But wouldn't you say that all Yanks are highly suspicious and bizarre in the first place, jonathan?
Old 05-26-2009, 12:25 AM   #53
Matthew Upright

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Cooper View Post
Hell, maybe I'm Captain Downer, but especially since it's Memorial Day, I wanted to post a link to an obituary (which I believe is w/fs) for SF Capt. Travis Patriquin, who may well have had something to do with the decision to ALLOW our guys to grow mustaches: http://www.blackfive.net/main/2006/1...in_the_wo.html

Within that piece, is his most excellent Powerpoint, intended to be intelligible to everyone between four year olds, and four star generals. I will call it w/fs safe, although it does discuss--in cartoon fashion--decapitation: http://www.geardo.com/docs/how_to_win_in_anbar.pdf

In that piece, he states: "Joe grows a moustache, because he realizes that Iraqis like people with moustaches and have a hard time trusting people without one."

More generally, since I am not taking a position on Iraq, and am in fact discussing tactics which were generally implemented, and which succeeded, I don't view this as political.

Let us agree this guy is well worth remembering, especially today.

Normally I would apologize for the thread hijack, but I actually think for once I am responding to the OP.

The moustache has always been allowed in the military and it wasnt until the invention of chemical warfare and the gas mask that beards were made against regulation. Its also the reason soliders are required to shave at least every 48 hours while in the field to ensure a proper seal between protective mask and face.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:35 AM   #54
Jonathan Slater

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee Lee View Post
But wouldn't you say that all Yanks are highly suspicious and bizarre in the first place, jonathan?
I'm afraid I don't any well enough to say, but from the evidence on these boards... yes, you're probably right.

P.S. For a grammar fiend such as yourself, it's a shameful act to neglect the capitalisation of a proper noun such as my name! Tut tut tut.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:56 AM   #55
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

No more bizarre than the British.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:04 AM   #56
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Slater View Post
You people drive on the wrong side of the road This conversation is over.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:11 AM   #57
Scott Ponte

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Upright View Post
The moustache has always been allowed in the military and it wasnt until the invention of chemical warfare and the gas mask that beards were made against regulation. Its also the reason soliders are required to shave at least every 48 hours while in the field to ensure a proper seal between protective mask and face.

While I would normally agree with this, I have often seen ladies have a unusual accumulation of facial hair that would cause an unproductive chem gear seal.

I think there is a division mustache growing contest going on with the Navy out here in Africa. Everyone is looking like they should be on some kind of pedophile watch list. Half grown and all.

Luckily the Air Force honors and recognizes Mustache March as the only real mustache holiday that counts.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:54 AM   #58
Barry Cooper

Profile:

Chemical weapons were invented in WW1, so if that's accurate, mustaches have not been allowed in the American military since then. My guess would be the rules are somewhat theater specific.

On topic off topic trivia: without Googling it, how many of you know where the term "sideburn" comes from?
Old 05-26-2009, 08:34 AM   #59
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Ambrose Burnside wore them.

The Navy wore beards until the mid 80s. Before my time but the prevailing view was, especially since we took a lot of our CBR and damage control lessons from the Brits and what they learned from the HMS Sheffield sinking, that beards were banned in the Navy to promote a "more professional" appearance, with CBR being the excuse. Especially when you consider the threat of chem weapons and SOCOM's relaxed grooming in OEF/OIF early on.
Relaxed grooming rocks, retirement and not having to worry about it rocks more.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:04 AM   #60
Jonathan Slater

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
No more bizarre than the British.
In this I cannot argue with you. I recently spent a short car journey with my other half competing to see who could say 'bleurgh' the loudest/most amusingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D Taylor Jr View Post
You people drive on the wrong side of the road This conversation is over.
Well, you have a blind spot for the 'h' in herb. That beats anything.