CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 04-27-2009, 12:22 PM   #51
Graeme Howland

Profile:
Re: How strict are you?

Before Christmas I was doing Starting Strength and cherry picking metcons. Since Jan-1 I've been following mainsite (decided to pick Sept1-08 as start date) and scaling as needed. The only thing i've skipped is virtual shoveling (I'll do it next time, I promise). I sub exercises when I have to (no KB's, no med balls) and scale weight/reps/rounds when I have to with the goal of staying in the appropriate time domain. I prefer following the mainsite programming versus cherry picking because I want my weaknesses to be exposed and I want to work on them, also I do not have enough knowledge of training yet to do my own programming (and since my goal is GPP there isn't a need). I plan to do this for another 3 or 4 months and then evaluate if I want to try CFSB or P-Menu perhaps.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:40 PM   #52
Michael Lennox

Profile:

Good thread. I did CrossFit main site for about 9-10 months but I didnt like it. I was getting weak and I was getting too skinny which couldve been a number of reasons, like I wasn't used to the 3 on 1 off deal or whatever. So I went back to a regular strength and conditioning and then tried to add in CrossFit workouts... Did not work at all. I found myself overly sore and stupid. Then CrossFit football came around...and the rest was history.

I dont follow their workouts strictly. I make sure my first and last day in the mix are the same and try to do the best I can with the rest. I also follow a week behind to 'plan' my week ahead of time which I think is very important. If you dont plan what you are going to do, or follow a plan, then you might as well just not train. Planning allows you to see which muscles will be tired , the movements etc, and the type of work out you have already done.(i.e. too many 21-15-9ers)

But yeah, thank GOD for CrossFit football. Its undeniably awesome.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:42 PM   #53
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Well here's another reason I ask about strictness.

Let's say you're someone that religiously follows one set of programming. (CF, CFFB, CFSB) and you happen across a website like Rosstraining and see a workout on there you really like that you really think will test you and want to give it a shot.

Where exactly does that fit in on your schedule? Do you sub it for a CF WoD one day because you want to try it? That's kind of taking you away from the "plan" of the mainpage WoDs.

So yeah, where does wanting to try something different just one day fit in when you're religiously following the mainpage? Is it going to screw up your programming and overall development to try a different workout that one day?

And Michael I agree about planning out your week, but I also trust that John over at CFFB has planned out his WoDs in a smart way to where I don't have to worry about overtraining one body part or doing something stupid and overworking somewhere. Now if I was just making up my own routine week in and week out I figure that would be a concern.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:12 PM   #54
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

It's sort of like dieting. Will one cheat day ruin your diet? No. Is it possible for cheat days to get out of control to the point where your diet is ruined? Yes.

Likewise, swapping in an alternative workout, being too active on your rest day, and incorrect scaling are not, in themselves, disastrous. You just need to watch to make sure they aren't getting out of control.

Katherine
Old 04-29-2009, 03:15 PM   #55
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Good points Katherine. I was just wondering where getting to try something different comes in.
Coach advocates trying new sports and the kind of workouts suggested by Ross almost come across as sport to me!

I'm finding my biggest problem with programming now is when I get sick. I got sick this week and missed a bunch of workouts from CFFB. Now I'm back on and trying to catch up. Obviously you can't go several days back and catch up because then you'll always be far behind and if you get sick again you could just lose it all together.

So how do people do that? If some extra circumstance comes up that keeps you from working out for a week or just a few days how do you pick back up with your programming? Do you go to where you left off or just pick up on the newest workout and just write the days you missed off?

And I've discovered weather also plays a large part in missing CFFB workouts because weather here can be so erratic it'll prevent an outside workout and a few of the sprint workouts are best done outside. (i mean who can run shuttles on a treadmill?)
Old 04-29-2009, 03:28 PM   #56
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R O'Dell View Post
So how do people do that? If some extra circumstance comes up that keeps you from working out for a week or just a few days how do you pick back up with your programming? Do you go to where you left off or just pick up on the newest workout and just write the days you missed off?
Those days are gone. Just pick up with the newest workout. In the long run it shouldn't matter.

Katherine
Old 04-29-2009, 03:41 PM   #57
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Those days are gone. Just pick up with the newest workout. In the long run it shouldn't matter.

Katherine

Yeah you're right. Except today, the day I hit the gym again, is a rest day. So I guess I get to pick one that I missed. And not being one to shy away from a weakness I shall pick the olympic lifting WoD to train a weakness! *flexes* Haha.

I do need to get my training more on track. I'm still thinking my schedule will look like M: CFFB, T: Rugby, W: CFFB, TR: Rugby, F: Rest, S: CFFB or Rugby Game, Su: Rest. That's the most workable workout schedule with my current schedule. And I think it'll work out for me. So I may only being doing 2 CFFB workouts a week if I have a rugby game, but I mean a rugby game is a damn good workout in of itself! Any player can attest to that!

Now I just need to be able to make that plan work....lol.

It's funny because in another thread we discussed how you don't actually need to sprint for CF and CFFB to make you a better sprinter. It's also funny because CFFB does come up with a lot of WoDs that are just sprinting. And of course everytime one comes up I'm either sick or something else has come up! Sorry just venting about life. *grumble*
Old 05-01-2009, 09:44 AM   #58
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
It's sort of like dieting. Will one cheat day ruin your diet? No. Is it possible for cheat days to get out of control to the point where your diet is ruined? Yes.

Likewise, swapping in an alternative workout, being too active on your rest day, and incorrect scaling are not, in themselves, disastrous. You just need to watch to make sure they aren't getting out of control.

Katherine
Well wait a minute. This is where I wonder where something like a hill run or stairs fits in. I mean what if you wanted to do that? Obviously that doesn't fit in as a CF WoD and doing it in addition to a CF WoD might be overkill.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:36 PM   #59
Zach Gates

Profile:

If you do it sometimes instead of a WOD it won't cause you to lag behind.

If you do it sometimes in addition to a WOD it won't make you burn out.

Overdo either one and you'll be in trouble.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:51 PM   #60
Jimi Miller

Profile:

Interesting thread. Sort of along the same lines, I'm looking at joining an affiliate but they don't follow the main page WODs and it is really making me hesitate to join.