CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 04-20-2009, 09:48 AM   #21
Scott Ponte

Profile:
Re: Sleeping too much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene Forestier View Post
Yeah, you have some challenges there. All I can offer within my range of experience is to TRY to maintain a routine, TRY to eat as well as you can, and TRY to maximize your sleep. Exercise is important, but you may want to lower the intensity and keep stretching which can aid in tension relief. Try to stay as healthy as you can until you are repatriated...I know, easier said than done.

Are you on malaria prophylaxis? If so, is it your first time on that med?
Yeah I'm on Doxy and its my first time with Malaria meds. I was on mephlaquine (Laramin is the brand I think) and it was making me VERY sleepless, anxious and I had really bad dreams so I switched.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:52 AM   #22
Scott Ponte

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley Jennings View Post
OP, you seemed to have received quite a few mixed posts here. If I read you right you are worried about sleeping too much right? Man, if you are getting that type of sleep under your conditions then consider yourself blessed my man.

I read a book Lights out, sleep-sugar-survivall., interesting stuff. If you haven't read it I would highly recommend it.

I believe as long as you weren't supplementing with melatonin or other sleep aids and that was natural sleep, then no way can it be bad for you. Your body would tell you if it was. I think I saw where you are taking ZMA right? Have you tried sleeping without it here recently?
I'm planning on reading the book. It's tough to get mail here. Takes about a month, and I'll be home in roughly that time so there is no point right now. I'm taking ZMA, and no I haven't stopped taking it.

I do consider myself lucky as far as being as free as I am @ this deployment, but on the other side of it... having very poor internet, limited access to the outside world and nothing to do (think prison without shower scenes) is a bummer.

I'm on a little R&R session right now, so I'm going to take about 4 days off and continue when I get back. Just gonna eat like a pig and sleep in a big bed and take a nice hot shower. So nice
Old 04-20-2009, 10:04 AM   #23
Rene Forestier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Ponte View Post
Yeah I'm on Doxy and its my first time with Malaria meds. I was on mephlaquine (Laramin is the brand I think) and it was making me VERY sleepless, anxious and I had really bad dreams so I switched.
Doxy can still screw with sleep.

Try the sleeping mask if you can get ahold of one...they help, but its no substitute for a dark room. As far as ZMA, you can try taking it in the AM...its not a magical sleep aid, but I bet you are still deficient in Zinc and Mg...some people find it interferes with sleep if taken just before bed. Try to get lots of natural sun exposure...that helps reset your diurnal cycle...sometimes if its too hot ouside, we tend to hide in the A/C and not get enough sun/Vit D.

Enjoy your R&R!
Old 04-21-2009, 12:48 AM   #24
Scott Ponte

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene Forestier View Post
Doxy can still screw with sleep.

Try the sleeping mask if you can get ahold of one...they help, but its no substitute for a dark room. As far as ZMA, you can try taking it in the AM...its not a magical sleep aid, but I bet you are still deficient in Zinc and Mg...some people find it interferes with sleep if taken just before bed. Try to get lots of natural sun exposure...that helps reset your diurnal cycle...sometimes if its too hot ouside, we tend to hide in the A/C and not get enough sun/Vit D.

Enjoy your R&R!
Cool thanks