CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 01-12-2009, 04:36 PM   #11
Carter Jee

Profile:
Re: Migraines - anyone get them?

hi jennie!!

just wondering how the appointment went?? any further insights??

i almost triggered a migraine last night when I overexerted myself doing deadlifts.....

carter
Old 01-14-2009, 09:49 AM   #12
Harley Jennings

Profile:

Hey jennie,

I use to get migraines right up until I was 11. At the age of eleven I had a tramatic brain injury in the form of an Axe three inches deep in to my forehead (long story). Today I am missing a tea cup of gray matter in my left frontal lobe and part of my skull has been replaced with a multiple steel plates. Crazy enough it was just the medicine I needed since due to the blood being re-routed around my brain I no longer had the pressure of the blood cells expanding and pressing down on all the pain sensors = no migraine.
I am not suggesting a do-it-yourself lobotomy. But a side effect of the injury was every time a low pressure system rolls in the plates expand and create a migraine feeling with out the migraine. I got hooked on Bio-therapy since there were no drugs that could keep metal from expanding. You can google it if you are unfamiliar with it. It is basically learning how to seperate your mind from the pain. Kind of crazy. Ok..that is my headache story! Good luck!
M/27/5'10''/200lbs/13%BF BS 365#/ SP 205#/ DL 425#/ BP 345#/ PC 235#/ FS 265#/ CJ 225#/ THR 225#/ Liz 6:11/ Murph 39:00My Log
Old 01-14-2009, 09:50 AM   #13
Harley Jennings

Profile:

double post
M/27/5'10''/200lbs/13%BF BS 365#/ SP 205#/ DL 425#/ BP 345#/ PC 235#/ FS 265#/ CJ 225#/ THR 225#/ Liz 6:11/ Murph 39:00My Log

Last edited by Harley Jennings : 01-14-2009 at 09:53 AM.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:45 AM   #14
Jennie Yundt

Profile:

10-15 a month? I don't know how she functioned!

Carter, the appointment is just a few short days away. I am scheduled to be at the headache center 1/21. I hope they can tell me what's going on inside my head!
Old 01-16-2009, 11:47 AM   #15
Jennie Yundt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley Jennings View Post
At the age of eleven I had a tramatic brain injury in the form of an Axe three inches deep in to my forehead (long story). Today I am missing a tea cup of gray matter in my left frontal lobe and part of my skull has been replaced with a multiple steel plates.
Harley, I think it's against CF board rules to say you got an Axe in the FACE and then not tell the rest of the story. I'm gonna get David Wood and Lynne Pitts involved unless you straighten this out!
Old 01-16-2009, 11:54 AM   #16
Sara Fleming

Profile:

Hey Jennie,

I just left the hospital yesterday after a 6 day infusion of DHE for my persistent migraine. Its a vessel constrictor and I don't recommend it. I think it stands for Diahrrea Hourly and Effusively. It did work though, but now I'm not allowed to take triptans anymore (like imitrex, maxalt, etc.) or any analgesics for that matter. Have to check in with my neurologist in two weeks to figure out the rest.

They didn't really figure out a "cause" per se, but my thyroid numbers were changing from over the summer and since my surgery in October so they did start me on synthroid. I hope this is the end of this; PICC lines suck, DHE sucks, 6 day hospital stays suck, and diarrhea sucks.

Good luck with your appointment.

Sara

And yes, axe wounds to the head demand explanation, no exceptions.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:28 AM   #17
Jennie Yundt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara Fleming View Post
Hey Jennie,

I just left the hospital yesterday after a 6 day infusion of DHE for my persistent migraine.
OMG Sara, that sounds AWFUL! The headache clinic diagnosed me with "exertional migraines". I kind of feel unsatisfied with the diagnosis though. First the Dr. made me wait 2 hours and 15 minutes before coming to see me. By the time he came in, there wasn't enough time to do much testing. They drew my blood, hooked me up to an EKG, and flipped through my workout log and food log. He prescribed an anti inflammatory that I'm supposed to take 30 minutes prior to working out.

BUT WHY DID THEY JUST START COMING BACK NOW!?

The Dr. had no answers for me. They want me to try biofeedback, but there aren't any treatment centers close to my house. Traveling 1.5 hours 10 times in a month is a little too much for me.

BIG SIGH.....the good news is that my blood work was absolutely fantastic. Believe it or not, I had a high amount of calcium in my blood even though I don't drink milk. That's always the first thing people ask when I tell them I don't drink Milk. "But where do you get your calcium from?"

Hopefully this new anti inflammatory will keep the headaches at bay...I just wish the answer wasn't always a prescription.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:48 AM   #18
John Frazer

Profile:

For a couple years I would get ocular migraines about half an hour after a WOD, especially if there were box jumps. Dumbbell clean box jumps were a surefire trigger.

My eye doctor thought it might be a blood sugar issue and suggested an oral glucose tolerance test. Before I got around to that, I tweaked my diet. I started weighing and measuring my blocks more precisely, and doubled my fat intake. I haven't had the problem since (and have done a heck of a lot of box jumps at CFDC in the last few weeks).

So I may just have been running on empty before. Still need to get the test done, though.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:43 PM   #19
Carter Jee

Profile:

hi jennie...

spew on the doctor's appointment.... no definitive answers... heck, migraines in general are still a mystery to the medical community (why it happens)...

have you checked out your vision yet? maybe your vision is deteriorating a bit, i.e. no longer 20/20 but 20/15 or something like that... it's a long shot, but you never know...

if you need glasses, you might be able to see your sparkling diamond ring better (i saw your post on the girl power thread!! congrats)

carter
Old 02-07-2009, 09:28 AM   #20
Wayne Marsh

Profile:

I have suffered with migraine for most of my 38yr life. Eventually I had them under control but every time i X-Fit'ed I was getting migraine (with aura).

This may be a useful thing to consider, a migraine is your unconscious message that something is not quite right within your system. Now, that bay be nutritional (I know now that mine are) or even other factors such as not breathing correctly on execution of certain excercises etc.

Without going too in depth I was crossfitting 4 x a week and suffering 4 x a week with migraine. I tried everything eventually being put on beta blockers by my GP which I refused to accept as a diagnosis.

I read about magnesium deficiencies and went to see a nutritionist who mentioned the same thing. One of the things he explained was that only certain brands of magnesium were any use as most would not be absorbed by the body correctly. He found me a product and I am crossfitting now and completely migraine free.

One of the symptoms of low magnesium is muscle twitching so all the migrainers out there pay attention to your body and self calibrate to things that may be a signal of low magnesium. I also was not eating enough carbs and I have tweaked the carb intake into my diet. The nutritionist actually recommended THE ZONE diet which was interesting seeing tho it's popular in the crossfit community.

Anyway, give magnesium a try - I take it twice a day alongside a good multivitamin and like I said so far so good.

As an NLP Trainer I would always suggest that migraines or any pain is a message from your unconscious - so pay attention and ask yourself what is the intention of the message, you may find you get some answers that lead you to your own resolve..

Stay Well

Wayne