CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:26 PM   #1
Michael McLeish

Profile:
Rhabdo Mitigation

I'm surprised there isn't already a thread on this!

OK here's the scenario. We're opening our affiliate on Friday this week and I'm planning on having 'open house' hours for the first two days where folks can come in and check us out. I'm also offering a free workout to anyone who wants to give it a shot over the weekend. I'm planning on having a list of simple workouts that don't involve highly techinical moves (box jump, pushups, pullups, wallball, etc) so workouts such as Cindy, Fight Gone Bad, Helen, and others come to mind.

So the question is, what workouts/scaling should be done for this type of scenario. Obviously I'll tell people not to push the intensity, but from what I've seen from newbies, it is a bit inevitable that they go hard and usually they gas before they get far. To what extent are workouts scaled such that Rhabdo risk is cut back to the most reasonable level?

Maybe this question is too vague to cover everyone, but I know several affiliates have free weekend workouts in the park so this has to be a similar scenario. How do you go about handling the first timers?

BTW - I'm expecting most of my drop-ins this weekend to be military, so they will have a decent fitness background, but anything is possible as far as who shows up...
Old 04-01-2008, 09:35 PM   #2
Becca Borawski

Profile:
Re: Rhabdo Mitigation

I would downsize the workouts. If the idea is to give them a taste of CrossFit and the experience, they don't need to do an entire 20 minute workout anyway. Do a half Cindy, half Helen, or a mini-FGB. They'll get the idea and they'll work hard without hurting themselves. Gives you more time to talk to them about your program too.

www.crossfitla.com -- www.modernathena.com -- www.nerdjockprincess.com
Old 04-02-2008, 04:04 AM   #3
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

I pretty much did exactly what Becca said. I had a choice of 2-3 WOD, all between 5-10 min. long. Believe me, 5 min. is a long time for the new people!
Old 04-02-2008, 04:54 AM   #4
Steve Reggio

Profile:

Do mini's. I didn't have an open house but started people with Mini-Cindy and as people laid on the floor in a pool of sweat they inevitably all said- HOLY S&%$!!! That was only 10 minutes!
Old 04-02-2008, 06:05 AM   #5
Michael McLeish

Profile:

Awesome - Thanks for the advice! I was thinking of doing 'minis' so I'm glad to hear thats what some of you are doing or have done. Guess I'm a little paranoid now that this thing is almost official!

I like the 10 minute limitation for the time priority WODs like Cindy and perhaps I'll set up the timer for FGB with 30-35 second rounds with 1 minute in between. That should still be pretty tough for the new folks.

Any other good first day WOD ideas I could use? I've got a few in mind but maybe there are some possiblities I'm not thinking of.

Thanks so much! What would I do without you all on this message board??
Old 04-02-2008, 08:35 AM   #6
Joshua Newman

Profile:

We've had good luck with crafting 21-15-9's around basic movements (squats, pushups, etc.), though also try and regularly throw in some non-technical yet still unusual stuff (burpees, box jumps, wallball) so the workouts stand out.

Also, Tabata squats (perhaps followed by Tabata pushups) never fails to 'impress' a group, and certainly drives home the 'your workout is a waste of time' point.

That said, to speak to the title of this thread, we've also had two cases of Rhabdo.

The first was a woman in her mid-thirties. First class, workout was Fran, with 35# thrusters and band pullups.

The second was a guy in his late twenties. He'd previously worked out a few times at CF Philly, and had attended two or three prior beginners' classes here at CFNYC. The causal workout was a 10-9-8-etc. ladder of burpees and knees-to-elbows.

In the second case, excessive liquor consumption in the past few days may have been a factor. (Though, conversely, if drinking heavily the night before intense workouts was enough to cause Rhabdo, I'd have been dead long since.)

Fortunately, both individuals recovered completely, though the second spent two nights in the hospital and apparently clocked the highest Creatine Kinase level (158,500) the physicians had seen.

While we never saw the first woman again, the second guy subsequently went through our Elements program (post-recovery) and is now a happy member.

Still at a bit of a loss as to specific lessons we should draw about mitigating Rhabdo in the future, especially considering that we've done both of those workouts with other groups of beginners (and with the other ten or so people in each of the Rhabdo-causing classes) with no ill results. Thought I should throw this out nonetheless.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:07 PM   #7
Rob Egan

Profile:

All I can really add is to avoid massive amounts of jumping pullups for their first workout. They seem to stand out as one exercise that has Rhabdo inducing tendencies.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:47 PM   #8
Larry Lindenman

Profile:

Also avoid assisting people in pullups (ie. jumping or helping them up) when you take out the concentric, and leave in the eccentric, your asking for rhabdo. And you don't want to mitigate it, you want to totally avoid it!!!!
Old 04-03-2008, 02:10 AM   #9
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Lindenman View Post
And you don't want to mitigate it, you want to totally avoid it!!!!