CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-25-2014, 12:47 PM   #31
Lance Neumeyer

Profile:
Re: solid supplements to take

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Farr View Post
Agreed Vitamin D is critical IMO and per my Dr's

I take:

Astaxanthin Inflammation/antioxident/sunblock
Original Nutritionals O3 fish oil inflammation/nootropic
Vit D 10k mgs low levels per bloodwork
DHEA 75 mgs low levels per bloodwork
MCT gel caps through out the day 5000mgs
Tumeric Tincture
Beta Alanine Pre-post training [HDXmix](love this stuff)
Zyflamend Inflammation/heart
ZMA Sleep
Silica/Horsetail Joints/connective tissue
Maca Wellness
Liquid Iodine Metabolism/thyroid
Phosphatdyl Serine Adrenals/Cognitive/Nootropic
Pro biotics

Diet is sound. I dont count blocks literally but have my sense of proportion. Eat zone style if I had a style. I dont fear carbs.

Im 42, 240 12bf%. All that stuff I take to support my recovery; I feel it I hurt more. Also Ive been hurt for 6 months so lot of power type lifting no gymnastics based stuff

Ive collected anecdotal info in testing the stuff against bloodwork in the last 3 years. I feel comfortable in saying there is benefit, nothing massive. But noted.

Interestingly. I ate double rounds of Bacon daily for a year & supplemented MCT fats for the same period, lowered my lipid panel, good and bad.

Ill say I dont notice any benefit performance wise except for the beta alanine.

I do notice it when I dont though I hurt way more.

If I crush myself I can be back in a day, without its like 1 1/2 or 2.

I get crap for not being Paleo. Dont care. Im broken ex pro athlete. This stuff lets me still charge but good without mainlining ibuprofen and worse

Next Im looking to add Choline but to see if it helps with cognitive stuff.
Have you ever tried HMB? I noticed a BIG difference in DOMS and soreness about a week after I started using it. Nothing scientific to quantify the numbers by; but I would say it cut the soreness by 50%. You can find it relatively cheap on Amazon.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:35 PM   #32
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Neumeyer View Post
Have you ever tried HMB? I noticed a BIG difference in DOMS and soreness about a week after I started using it. Nothing scientific to quantify the numbers by; but I would say it cut the soreness by 50%. You can find it relatively cheap on Amazon.
HMB, at least the real stuff licensed by MTI, is a quite expensive supplement. I do like it, but I prefer it when combined with creatine and or Beta-Alanine.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:56 PM   #33
Chris Mason

Profile:

Relating to the above and this thread, for a CrossFit athlete I think the following are the supplements that can make an actual difference in their training:

Creatine
Beta-Alanine
Caffeine
ETS

Protein, protein and carb, and BCAA supplements can be useful in lieu of foods for convenience and or for specific uses such as a protein supplement for a low calorie diet.

There are other supplements that can help, but the above are the only ones I have found to make a really significant difference.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:55 AM   #34
Lance Neumeyer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
HMB, at least the real stuff licensed by MTI, is a quite expensive supplement. I do like it, but I prefer it when combined with creatine and or Beta-Alanine.
That's exactly what I take it with. $30 for a 30 day supply on Amazon isnt too bad.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:17 PM   #35
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Neumeyer View Post
That's exactly what I take it with. $30 for a 30 day supply on Amazon isnt too bad.
I would say that is still pretty pricey considering you can supplement more than enough creatine for under 20 cents a day.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:32 AM   #36
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Sirakos View Post
I would say that is still pretty pricey considering you can supplement more than enough creatine for under 20 cents a day.
True, it is an expensive supplement, but if he is already taking creatine and looking for something to augment it, the HMB is a good choice assuming he has the funds.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:30 AM   #37
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
True, it is an expensive supplement, but if he is already taking creatine and looking for something to augment it, the HMB is a good choice assuming he has the funds.
Agreed. I think if you want to step up from just creatine then everything in Results is the way to go. It is my absolute favorite supplement out there for working as advertised.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:13 PM   #38
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Sirakos View Post
Agreed. I think if you want to step up from just creatine then everything in Results is the way to go. It is my absolute favorite supplement out there for working as advertised.
Thanks Luke!
Old 09-01-2014, 11:47 AM   #39
Bryan Hood

Profile:

A day of my supplements looks like this:
1. Wake up- Large scoop (about 4tbsp) of peanut butter, Arbonne protein mixed with Fiber Boost, 1tsp of Creatine and L-Glutamine
2. Pre-workout- I cycle through different brands of pre-workout drinks so I don't build a tolerance. I have taken RAzor 8 for the past couple months and now take Driven Nutrition's stuff. I don't use stuff with Aspartame or Saccharin but will use if it has Succralose. I prefer Stevia as a sweetener.
3. During workout I take an Amino Acid drink. There are many out there. I forget the brand I'm taking now. It has Succralose in it.
4. Post workout I take my Arbonne protein mixed with Creatine and L-Glutamine. I also squirt some Agave in there but will go back to Honey after my current detox. The sugar is a great delivery vehicle for the Creatine.

I also take Cod Liver oil and a joint function vitamin at morning and night. I follow the Arbonne eating plan to try to keep my pH in balance. I DO notice a difference when my body gets too acidic. My joints will start to hurt. I typically avoid Soy, Dairy, Gluten, Pork and keep sugar to a minimum. I try to hit low glycemic vs higher glycemic sugars. I cheat roughly 2 days/week. Bottom line? I listen to my body. I just PR'd my back squat today at 330 (Raw) weighing only 158lbs. I have a deadlift PR of 425 and can run a 5K in ~22min. I'm 39 y/o and 5'10" tall. What I do works well for me and may not work as well for others. You asked, for what it's worth.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:45 PM   #40
Rob Brown

Profile:

I'm taking ATP Mechanix, and can verify the pre-workout makes me actually want to work out. Just take it 20 mins before you start. Outside of ATP only creatine and coffee has done it for me.