CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-17-2014, 05:48 AM   #21
Bob Herald

Profile:
Re: Simple and sinister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Shreim View Post
So, I have finished 6 workouts of the 10,000 swing program. Will be excited to see what happens after rep 10,000. I am not sure it will be magical, I am mainly hoping for some fat loss around my waist. I am also including every other day recovery swim (short) sessions, as well.

I have only been able to hit the '50' set of the 10-15-25-50 scheme in the first round, though. I am still working towards trying to finish multiple sets without breaks on the 50s. Average time of completion is about 35-45 minutes. I wasn't taking the full 3 minute rest period in between sets, like the program called for. So it bumped my time back out on days 5 and 6.

I could see my deadlift going up a little bit after this program, though. I will make sure to re-test my 1RM afterwards. I plan on doing a low volume dynamic/speed day 3 days after swing 10,000 and then re-test the 1RM 2-3 days after that. I have to re-train my body for traditional deadlifts. I have only been doing weightlifting clean and snatch deadlifts/pulls and need to ensure proper mechanics for a true 1RM.
Keep me posted Adam! I'm excited to hear your results.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:36 PM   #22
Adam Shreim

Profile:

8,500/10,000 down... 3 more workouts to go. I am just now, in the last 2 workouts, starting to REALLY feel it in my back. I think that there will be some translation to the deadlift. I will probably end up testing it next Monday or Tuesday. I am expecting at least 395, with the last time I did deadlifts was on July 10th and I hit 385. I am going to push for 405 with everything I have, as long as my back doesn't round. Should be interesting.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:07 AM   #23
Bob Herald

Profile:

I've only been doing the S&S program. 100 swings 10 TGU 3x a week plus calisthenics and my martial arts training, and I've already leaned out quite a bit.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:44 AM   #24
Adam Shreim

Profile:

I've been including 4 mile walk/jogs and 1500-2500 yd swim (Freestyle) sessions, in addition to the 500 swings. I've done swings-only 3 times. Some of the types of "extras" I have done are x3 push-ups (90 total), +1 strict pull-ups (2, 3, 4 for 45 total), 155# strict press, 2x ring dips, strict HSPU at deficiet on 25" bumpers (no pad for the head), 225# Bench (this was done on a partial day, where I only did 300 swings).

I have noticed nothing in terms of body composition change. The changes may be there, but they are slight. Hopefully my performance improves in areas OTHER than KB swings, or that is all this program will end up improving.

I also learned that there is no way I can use 100% hips to swing the KB over my head like the "American Swing." I either have to arc my back or activate my arms. I've been doing this for a while, so I doubt it is limited to just me.

I also did a partial set of 200 at 70#. The difference was huge between 53# and 70# KB. It took me 16:27 for 2 rounds coupled with 155# press.

I have also frequently added sets of push-ups to total AT LEAST 80 after the swings were done to help improve my single-set push-up number (which has proven futile).
Old 10-02-2014, 10:00 AM   #25
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
8,500/10,000 down... 3 more workouts to go. I am just now, in the last 2 workouts, starting to REALLY feel it in my back. I think that there will be some translation to the deadlift. I will probably end up testing it next Monday or Tuesday. I am expecting at least 395, with the last time I did deadlifts was on July 10th and I hit 385. I am going to push for 405 with everything I have, as long as my back doesn't round. Should be interesting.
Were you doing any other strength training than the kettlebell swings?
Old 10-02-2014, 12:50 PM   #26
Adam Shreim

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
Were you doing any other strength training than the kettlebell swings?
No. If it wasn't a pull-up, push-up, dip or press variation, I didn't do much of anything besides the swings and those movements.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:46 PM   #27
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
No. If it wasn't a pull-up, push-up, dip or press variation, I didn't do much of anything besides the swings and those movements.
Interesting. Why do you think training with very high reps and skipping heavy training would improve your 1RM pull?
Old 10-03-2014, 04:03 AM   #28
Bob Herald

Profile:

Quote:
I've been including 4 mile walk/jogs and 1500-2500 yd swim (Freestyle) sessions, in addition to the 500 swings. I've done swings-only 3 times. Some of the types of "extras" I have done are x3 push-ups (90 total), +1 strict pull-ups (2, 3, 4 for 45 total), 155# strict press, 2x ring dips, strict HSPU at deficiet on 25" bumpers (no pad for the head), 225# Bench (this was done on a partial day, where I only did 300 swings).

I have noticed nothing in terms of body composition change. The changes may be there, but they are slight. Hopefully my performance improves in areas OTHER than KB swings, or that is all this program will end up improving.

I also learned that there is no way I can use 100% hips to swing the KB over my head like the "American Swing." I either have to arc my back or activate my arms. I've been doing this for a while, so I doubt it is limited to just me.

I also did a partial set of 200 at 70#. The difference was huge between 53# and 70# KB. It took me 16:27 for 2 rounds coupled with 155# press.

I have also frequently added sets of push-ups to total AT LEAST 80 after the swings were done to help improve my single-set push-up number (which has proven futile).
What is your diet like? That has a huge impact on body comp changes. Also, why american swings? Most of these high rep swing programs are designed for Russian swings.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:29 AM   #29
Adam Shreim

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Herald View Post
What is your diet like? That has a huge impact on body comp changes. Also, why american swings? Most of these high rep swing programs are designed for Russian swings.
I am only doing russian swings. American swings are junk.

I am trying to figure out how many calories I need to eat to maintain and lose. I am still figuring it out. So my "diet" is essentially whatever I want. Buffering down from 2800 to 2600 to 2400 to 2200 calories. I am trying 2250 out right now.

Last edited by Adam Shreim : 10-03-2014 at 11:47 AM.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:34 AM   #30
Adam Shreim

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
Interesting. Why do you think training with very high reps and skipping heavy training would improve your 1RM pull?
because I am drinking the KB community kool-aid right now.

The same muscles I use for pulling are definitely getting worked. Hamstrings, back, core and grip are all getting taxed. It will be worth a shot, none the less. Even if I hit 390-395 over 385, while reducing my body weight from by 16#, I'll take it.

If I can't pull 5-10# over my previous 1RM, I believe it would be due to way pulling a heavy DL feels. Not because I am not strong enough (you know that crappy feeling you get).