CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-02-2014, 03:18 PM   #1
Bob Herald

Profile:
Simple and sinister

Hi all. Has anyone tried pavels simple and sinister or Dan Johns 10,000 swings program??? In essence S&S is performing 50 (eventually 100) kettlebell swings and 10 TGU a day. In theory it will build strength (without size) and allow energy for other athletic endeavors.

This seems good for me because I like the flexibility and can do it from home and allow energy for my Brazilian jiu-jitsu. Also i have added 50 pullups and 50 dips every 3 days at bodyweight. Just because I love pullups and dips.

My goals that I hope to gain from this program are
1.) increase my relative strength
2.) lose some bodyfat
3) increase my mobility

I obviously have stopped deadlifting and i am interested to see what will happen to my posterior chain strength. Deadlift has always wiped out my CNS and made the next couple days of jiujitsu rough for me. So let see
Old 09-03-2014, 01:24 AM   #2
Mario Beltran

Profile:
Re: Simple and sinister

Hey Bob,

I have done the 10000 swing challenge with a 24kg kettlebell. 5 days a week with pistols, hspu, weighted pullups, weighted chinups and weighted dips as strength exercises.
Normally I do CFFB Collegiate and love it, but once a year from mid-december to mid-january I do the swing protocol to mix it up a bit for four weeks.

It is brutally hard and you do NOT do anything else in this time. You really need your rest days.
Your posterior chain is getting super strong though. My deadlift and squat go straight up.
Old 09-05-2014, 12:28 PM   #3
Adam Shreim

Profile:

I saw this post and started it yesterday. I am doing the 10,000 swing program. I'll let you know how it goes. Using 53# KB, I used the 10-1-15-2-25-3-50x5 sequence and did dead-hang pull-ups yesterday. Today will be... something else, not sure, yet. Same goals as yourself.
Old 09-06-2014, 05:21 AM   #4
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Beltran View Post
It is brutally hard and you do NOT do anything else in this time. You really need your rest days.
Your posterior chain is getting super strong though. My deadlift and squat go straight up.
Your deadlift and squat go up when you stop doing everything but high swings with a 50# KB? What kind of numbers are we talking about here? That result is quite counter to usual expectations.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:52 PM   #5
Corey Tomala

Profile:

Was reading a bunch of the comments and looks like a few people were doing the basic 5/3/1 with it as well. Looks like something that could be good for traveling purposes, or just to take a break from CF if you wanted to do for a while.

Pretty sure I would hate KB swings afterwards though.
Old 09-07-2014, 10:56 AM   #6
Bob Herald

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
Your deadlift and squat go up when you stop doing everything but high swings with a 50# KB? What kind of numbers are we talking about here? That result is quite counter to usual expectations.

I'm not sure but I've heard people have increased their deadlifts with nothing but heavy swings. I think it has to do with the high volume and frequency of swings without the CNS fatigue of deadlifting. I know after 2 weeks of doing 100 swings, 4 days a week.. My hips, glutes, abdominals and grip get a hell of a workout.
Old 09-08-2014, 12:59 AM   #7
Mario Beltran

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
Nothing impressive. Still really weak. It's really extreme for your posterior chain, when I got back into "normal" lifting, immediately noticed the difference. It's just 4 weeks without the lifting.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:48 AM   #8
Adam Shreim

Profile:

Doing 500+ of these suckers gets the lower back pretty tight. Once I started learning how to appropriately fire off my hamstrings/glutes/abs in sequence for each swing, my back felt fine. I could see it helping out the loading/pulling sequence for the deadlift. When I am finished, I will re-test and report my deadlift 1-RM. My deadlift has never been good, so we'll see what it does. I think my 1RM right now is around 385ish, my peak was 405, but I was drunk and angry after the Patriots beat the Broncos in OT last year. If I could get 405, legit, with a 100% solid pull, I will be happy.
Old 09-08-2014, 03:33 PM   #9
Bob Herald

Profile:

Lol I've never deadlifted drunk before! That is either brilliant or a recipe for disaster. I'm not sure yet.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:10 PM   #10
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

This program is intriguing me. Could somebody flesh it out a little bit for me.