CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-19-2014, 01:43 PM   #1
Nate Raleigh

Profile:
Need some guidance please...

Ok guys, looking for a little direction in relation to a new workout program. A little over six weeks ago I started on the stronglifts program to get some muscle and change pace a bit from the circuit style training I have been doing for the past 10-12 weeks. While I have been making great gains on my lifts, its also undoing the past 8 months worth of chiropractor visits, so I'm going to have to cut it back some. I still want to do squats, deadlifts etc, just maybe not 3 times a week (for squats at least). I've also noticed my conditioning has gone straight down the toilet. hahah Im looking for a hybrid program with basic big lifts, BS, DL, OP, etc and also some circuit elements thrown in. I was doing alot of landmine work, sledgehammer, heavy bag stuff, and really enjoyed it. I checked out the CFFB and outlaw programs but I aint got the skills for snatchs and jerks, nor do I have anyone close to me to teach them. I appreciate any suggestions and I apologize for the long, rambling post. I'm in a bit of a funk with my returning back pain and not having worked out for almost a week...
Old 08-20-2014, 11:04 AM   #2
Chris Mason

Profile:
Re: Need some guidance please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Raleigh View Post
Ok guys, looking for a little direction in relation to a new workout program. A little over six weeks ago I started on the stronglifts program to get some muscle and change pace a bit from the circuit style training I have been doing for the past 10-12 weeks. While I have been making great gains on my lifts, its also undoing the past 8 months worth of chiropractor visits, so I'm going to have to cut it back some. I still want to do squats, deadlifts etc, just maybe not 3 times a week (for squats at least). I've also noticed my conditioning has gone straight down the toilet. hahah Im looking for a hybrid program with basic big lifts, BS, DL, OP, etc and also some circuit elements thrown in. I was doing alot of landmine work, sledgehammer, heavy bag stuff, and really enjoyed it. I checked out the CFFB and outlaw programs but I aint got the skills for snatchs and jerks, nor do I have anyone close to me to teach them. I appreciate any suggestions and I apologize for the long, rambling post. I'm in a bit of a funk with my returning back pain and not having worked out for almost a week...
I wrote just such a program. It is called Conjugate CrossFit. You can access it via the CrossFit Journal here.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:29 AM   #3
Adam Shreim

Profile:

I followed the program mentioned above... it worked well for me. Especially in helping me realize that a little extra triceps and hamstrings work can go a long way.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:56 AM   #4
Christopher Murphy

Profile:

Nate, there is a Crossfit gym in Easton; I know it is ~45 minutes away, but I think there is also one on Kent Island. PM me if you want more info.

Murph
Old 08-21-2014, 04:50 PM   #5
Nate Raleigh

Profile:

Awesome guys, thanks for the replies. Chris, I checked out your program and it looks pretty cool. Couple questions about it... First, for the assistance excersises, complete all sets for one excersice before moving on to the next? And for the metcon days, ideally just doing a WOD or a full days worth? I.e warm up, skills, WOD, finishers, etc? So, ME on Monday and Friday, and WODs on tues-thurs? Thanks again.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:47 AM   #6
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Raleigh View Post
Awesome guys, thanks for the replies. Chris, I checked out your program and it looks pretty cool. Couple questions about it... First, for the assistance excersises, complete all sets for one excersice before moving on to the next? And for the metcon days, ideally just doing a WOD or a full days worth? I.e warm up, skills, WOD, finishers, etc? So, ME on Monday and Friday, and WODs on tues-thurs? Thanks again.
For assistance yes, I would normally complete one exercise before the next, but you don't have to.

The second part depends more on your momentary goals. If strength is the #1 goal then I would just do the WOD. If you feel like you need to better maintain skill work etc. then feel free to include it.
Old 08-24-2014, 03:50 PM   #7
Nate Raleigh

Profile:

Great. Thanks for the help guys. I'm starting the conjugate program tmrw, although I'm probably only gonna do 2 metcons a week. Not sure if I can handle 5 days straight. Hahahah. And I gotta figure out a way to do GH's at home. Time to break out the welder...
Old 08-28-2014, 09:22 PM   #8
Chris Mason

Profile:

Nate, if you feel the strength training is causing you joint issues etc., you might want to post some videos of your technique with the compound movements so we can determine that may be contributing to your concerns.