CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-11-2014, 09:38 AM   #1
Matthew Potak

Profile:
Jason Khalipa's Iron Triathlon

Not sure if you guys saw the extended sub 3 team interview, but did anyone hear about the Iron Triathlon that Khalipa did?

1-20 reps of

Deadlift

Bench

Squat Cleans

Its basically a longer Linda WOD using the same bodyweight prescriptions and same rotations. It took Khalipa 95 minutes. Looks intense but could be fun. I only weigh around 150# so this is something I enjoy since I'm lighter and my Linda time is 11:22.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:03 AM   #2
Dakota Base

Profile:
Re: Jason Khalipa's Iron Triathlon

Considering how Trademark-Infringement-Lawsuit-Happy WTC tends to be, I probably wouldn't call it an "Iron Triathlon," but this variation of Linda seems REALLY awful.

20/19/18/17/16/15/14/13/12/11/10/9/8/7/6/5/4/3/2/1 Reps for time
Triplet of:
Deadlift 1.5xBW
Bench Press 1xBW
Squat Clean 3/4xBW

So....

That adds up to 210 reps of each movement for a total of 630 reps.

Considering the bodyweight multipliers, that's the equivalent of lifting yourself 2047.5 times!!!

For my current 192lb bodyweight, that constitutes 393,120lbs lifted over the course of the workout

I can honestly say that I have zero interest in pursuing this. But I probably will, at least twice. Once to say, "I did," then again to say, "I learned how to do it better." Probably after that I'll have a vested interest in NEVER DOING IT AGAIN!!!

To be realistic, it really does take a fairly advanced level athlete to turn around that many high rep sets of their bodyweight. Turning out 20 reps of your bodyweight takes developed strength, then laying back down and turning out 19, then 18, then 17.... This WOD is a real feat.

I've love to see the video of Khalipa doing this one. I would imagine there was a LOT of time spent between sets in the early phase, then a LOT of ugly-lifting face starting at the mid point and lasting clear through the end.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:11 AM   #3
Adam Shreim

Profile:

This workout is probably best left to really advanced/elite athletes and exercisers, only.

If you can get through Linda smoothly, you could always try 15-1, first. Then tackle 20-1 later on. The fatter you are, the more punishing this workout will be. 22-26% BF males that are starting to hover in the 215-240 range will have a rough time. 8-12%ers that are also strong, could fare OK.

I don't do 20 reps of anything (with heavy weights), so getting through this would probably be improbable for me. 210 deadlifts at 320# doesn't sound like a smart workout.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:12 AM   #4
Matthew Potak

Profile:

I wonder if froning will do it? Sam Briggs said in the interview that she might try it. Also, I think it's starting at 1 rep then goes to 20
Old 08-11-2014, 11:15 AM   #5
Adam Shreim

Profile:

I would rather start from 1, easier to walk away from it after finishing a certain round if you are 100% sure you cannot finish it safely.
Old 08-11-2014, 03:04 PM   #6
Tommy Sittinger

Profile:

Personally, I don't think that this WOD is a good idea. The purpose of the WOD is to get the training effect. What good does it do you if you're wasted for several days afterwards?

This reminds me of other outlandish challenges like the 1000 burpee challenge or the burpee mile. It's typical for those that have competed it to say that it takes them the better part of a week to get back to normal. Training should be more intelligent than just making yourself very tired and sore.

I've done my share of long, frivolous WOD's, including the burpee mile, and one of the painstorms. It went like this:

115# - 10 front squats, ten shoulder to OH, ten thrusters, 5 burpees, ten Pull-ups

Really, 210 reps of each of the Linda exercises is just foolish, even if it's scaled. If you want a better challenge, I would suggest something more sane, such as DLx 1, Clean x 15, DL x 2, CLean x 14, etc. after each clean do 5 bench presses.

Injury potential aside, the only way that I'd consider doing this is if I was going on a week's vacation without use of a decent gym (love Khalipa's Hotel WOD BTW).
Old 08-11-2014, 03:14 PM   #7
Tommy Sittinger

Profile:

One of our fellow forum members says it best:

"Volume is not the best way to bring about intensity. Intensity is the best way to bring about intensity. Volume is the repetition needed to get better at something. But intensity, or speed, is how we get conditioned"

http://championsclub.squarespace.com...u-make-it.html
Old 08-11-2014, 09:23 PM   #8
Dakota Base

Profile:

This Workout has been bothering me all afternoon...

It looks super brutal on paper, but the real doing of this thing would just be insane. Not that Khalipa has an amazing endurance for this type of workout, but I'd think it safe to say that his 95min reference point is outside of the realm of attainable for anyone that isn't at that level. So then we're talking about a 2-3hr metcon for some folks. Even at a chipper pace with plenty of strategic rest, we're just talking about 1) too many reps, and 2) spread over far too much time.

Keeping in mind, 630 reps in 95min is a rocking pace, no matter what you're doing. Figure there's going to be some transfer time, maybe 20-30seconds between sets at a minimum, as you move from DL to bench, then back out to Clean, then start over... 30sec between SETS for 60 sets (20sets of 3 movements) would be 30min just in itself, and you'd be booking to get in and out of a bench in under 30sec, let alone catching a bit of a breather and letting your HR slow down after say...45sets...

I think a decently relevant "readiness test" to see if you can handle this Workout would be to do it without weight, simply use an empty bar or do subs like DL = squatting toe touches, Bench = push ups, and Squat Cleans = squat jumps. (Admittedly, the DL sub isn't as relevant as the others, just thinking of some replicating movement, and also, push-ups would be heavier loaded, relatively speaking, than the other two movements).

So if a person did 20/19/18/.../3/2/1 of toe touches, push ups, then squat jumps and survived, maybe they'd have a better feel how ready they'd be next month to try it with a bar.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:31 PM   #9
Steven Thunander

Profile:

1. Your "Linda" time had better be below 15 minutes (at RXed weights) before even trying this workout.
2. Assuming that you can do what is postulated in point 1, You will need to increase volume progressively before attempting this, or else you will encounter Uncle Rhabdo.
3. This is a mental toughness WOD. You need those occasionally. But, this one is stupidly dangerous except for the most elite.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:25 PM   #10
Chris Sinagoga

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Sittinger View Post
One of our fellow forum members says it best:

"Volume is not the best way to bring about intensity. Intensity is the best way to bring about intensity. Volume is the repetition needed to get better at something. But intensity, or speed, is how we get conditioned"

http://championsclub.squarespace.com...u-make-it.html
Thanks for the shoutout Tommy.

I personally don't think it's a bad idea for Jason Khalipa to do that workout. He's one of the fittest people on the planet, and his sport may require him to do something as challenging as that. It sounds like it fits his purpose. I'd also guess he doesn't do those kind of workouts every single day.