CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 07-01-2014, 05:51 AM   #1
Joe Bernard

Profile:
Greater tronchanteric pain syndrome

I'm pretty sure I have this as the outer side of my right hip is tight/sore and I have some pain when walking. This pic is exactly where I have the discomfort/tightness/pain, except it's on the right side and not the left: http://i.imgur.com/mjZ2eSi.jpg

I know I did this when I was low bar back squatting 2 weeks ago. It was my first time doing them in 6 months due to knee issues and I think I favored my good side (the right), causing this issue with my hip. I didn't feel an acute injury during the workout, the discomfort and soreness set in the day after. I thought it was just DOMS but it has been persistent on and off ever since, which prompted me to do some research today.

The thing is I don't feel any discomfort/pain/tightness at all when doing squats, lunges, deadlifts, rowing machine, or stationary bicycle. I've even tried running and that's fine as well. The only time it bugs me is general everyday life and when I walk. It was really noticeable yesterday, but I was still able to warm-up with cycling 1 mile on a stationary bike and deadlift 190lbs for 6 reps (tough for me due to coming back from a bicep strain) with no issues. I have also squatted two more times since then and I didn't feel a thing as well. Everything I've read so far about this pain recommends rest, ice, stretching, and non-painful movement so the muscles do not atrophy. So do I still continue deadlifting and squatting or cease lower body work for a little while? I'm seeing a physical therapist next Thursday to confirm it, but any help in the interim so I don't do further damage and can get it on the path to recovery would be great.

Side note: today I can barely feel it at all, this is so annoying.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:29 PM   #2
Sean Rockett

Profile:
Re: Greater tronchanteric pain syndrome

Sounds like you are doing the right things for it. If it is a tendonitis it will go away on its own.
Old 07-07-2014, 03:55 PM   #3
Marshall Flagg

Profile:

I have been fighting the exact same thing for several months. I have no idea why it came on. I am doing what I can to relieve it but it is hanging around longer than I figured it would. I haven't really lightened up on my training however.

I have really been focused on mobility, stretching, flossing, mashing etc. Like all my aches and pains, they come and go. Sometimes I consider taking like, two weeks off of training but I never do.

Good luck.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:03 PM   #4
Justin Schmidt

Profile:

I first got this in January of 2013. Hip Bursitis was the diagnosis. I tried taking it easy for 2-3 months with no improvement, it was extremely frustrating. I found a chiropractor that was good with kinesio taping. In my case it improved about 50% almost immediately, as long as I was taped. I started doing banded side walks with green bands around the lower legs. That helped even more. As long as I had the tape on, it seemed to take pressure off the inflamed bursa, and I could deadlift and do light squats. After a year or so, I hardly ever tape it anymore. I hope this helps.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:56 PM   #5
Marshall Flagg

Profile:

I grabbed some KT tape and googled how to tape up for the hip pain. It kinda works.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:02 PM   #6
Justin Schmidt

Profile:

I would make a "X" with two pieces of tape over the painful spot. Each piece of tape was 6 or 7 inches when cut. The center of the tape gets about 50% stretch when applied. Hope it helps.