CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 02-08-2013, 03:24 PM   #11
Michael Marziotto

Profile:
Re: Preparing for Shoulder Surgery- ->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Brown View Post
Yep it falls off quick mate. Don't worry though, as soon as you start lifting again it comes back fast, it's almost l like your body remembers what muscle mass it used to have and replaces it fast. I was amazed how quick I regained my lean muscle mass.
One can hope to be so lucky... Once again, great words to hear.

My fitness motivation started with wanting to be able toss my daughter around the pool...followed by vanity reasons.. The thought of sporting willowy arms going into the summer is sickening.

Mention is made below to your experience being documented... Got a link?
Old 02-08-2013, 03:25 PM   #12
Michael Marziotto

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Rockett View Post
.....For the question about tendons becoming less brittle, that is really the fountain of youth. I don't know of any study that suggests we can reverse the process...
I knew the answer to that before I asked it...

But thanks none-the-less...
Old 02-08-2013, 03:28 PM   #13
Michael Marziotto

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Monzon View Post
hey Michael!

i am typing this post one-handed right now as i am about a week post surgery. my MRI read a lot like yours and the arthroscopic pics were definitely the proof in the pudding. my supraspinatus tendon was torn and separated, my labrum had some fraying but not to the extent of a SLAP tear, and i had some subacromial "spurs"....
Russ... I definitely have some questions for you... Let me put my thoughts together and I'll shoot you a PM... Thanks. Stay strong!
Old 02-08-2013, 03:28 PM   #14
Sean Rockett

Profile:

I am just upset I haven't found it for myself yet!
Old 02-11-2013, 03:58 AM   #15
Gravel Brown

Profile:

Here it is mate, from pre op all the way through to 15 months post op.

There's some great insight from others throughout so it should be a wealth of knowledge and give you an idea of what to expect at different stages of your rehab.

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=68036
Old 02-12-2013, 07:39 AM   #16
Michael Marziotto

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Brown View Post
Here it is mate, from pre op all the way through to 15 months post op.

There's some great insight from others throughout so it should be a wealth of knowledge and give you an idea of what to expect at different stages of your rehab.

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=68036
My head is spinning now..

I've made it up to your week seven and I have this empty hollow ache in my stomach.

There is a chasm between my rational and emotional conclusions, that I can't yet bridge and based on what I have read thus far, I am inclined to bail on surgery. Or, at least delay it a long time.

Rationally, it makes sense to get this done as soon as possible and begin the recovery road.

Emotionally, at age 50 it's a struggle in the best of situations. I am not sure I can fully commit to losing the entire summer. Not being able to tighten my own belt or skip driving for two months.

Granted, we all recover at different paces and your SLAP tear may or may not be more invasive than what I will have to deal with. But I am not a surgeon or a Physical Therapist.. so frankly, I have no idea.

The compromises are clear to me and it is becoming a Pro vs Con decision.

Modify my life to fit my shoulder or modify my shoulder to fit my life.. and all that..

I've made some wonderful gains in the hands of my PT. Maybe I should consider myself lucky thus far and concentrate on those exercises I CAN DO, and as fit as my weakest leak will allow.

Elective surgery is a wicked *****.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:25 AM   #17
Gravel Brown

Profile:

At the end of the day mate it comes down to this:

Will you be happy to go the rest of your life only doing certain exercises?

Or will you be happier to get your shoulder fixed and in turn be able to do everything at 100% in 12 months time.

Trust me, the 12 months goes really fast. Yeah the first 2 months are full of suck, but after that youll find you make massive improvements really quickly. I was lifting weights again at 6 months and crossfitting again at 8 months. Now im continually setting new PRs on my olympic lifts.

Up to you and i know the mental battle all too well.... but i strongly encourage you to get it repaired.

Keep us posted mate and all the best.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:27 PM   #18
Michael Marziotto

Profile:

Met with the second Ortho today...

Glad I got a second opinion. Not because the prognosis was any different, but because this MD payed attention to my goals and spoke the language I needed to hear.

Amazing how a little neuro-linguistic knowledge can give a person an edge. He spoke about "getting back in the game" which is not something the first Ortho even hinted to. He also made me feel comfortable that the decision to delay until after the summer isn't a horrible one. Sure, he preferred I do it now, but said.. "if you 'eff' it up or it starts to hurt more than it does, call me and we will do it earlier.."

As it stands, I've made the decision to get the repair(s) done. Looks like first week of September 2013.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:30 AM   #19
Gravel Brown

Profile:

Good decision mate, you won't regret it.

All the best.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:24 AM   #20
Daniel Pope

Profile:

Good luck Michael