CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 05-05-2012, 09:43 AM   #801
Russell Berger

Profile:
Re: 2012 Open, Regional and Games thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher G. Woods View Post
On a side note, is anyone else getting tired of HQ throwing the term "world record" around so casually? 1:52 is fast, but it's not the fastest "Diane" on record. Anyone remember AFT's 1:49(wfs) from like 5 years ago?

Chris, the reason we are calling it a "World record" is because it was performed in official, judged conditions. This is the same standard required for setting world records in any sport for obvious reasons. CrossFit is just applying the same standard.

Not to say that AFT's Diane wasn't impressive.

Last edited by Russell Berger : 05-05-2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:17 AM   #802
David Alexander

Profile:

Yeah somebody can do a 500lb snatch at their own gym with a video tape and everything, but unless it is done during a competition with 3(?) judges, the IWF won't recognize it.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:44 AM   #803
Scott Jenkins

Profile:

AFT's effort still looked at lot better ROM than the official world record , definately inside the width restrictions. We all know that video entries are always scrutinised much harder than personal judges. Official or not I recognise AFT's effort as the fastest Diane.
Fran 3:19. Diane 2:49. Elizabeth 5:48. Cindy 26+21. Helen 7:50. JT 7:03. Grace 1.56
www.crossfitblackwater.com
Old 05-05-2012, 12:35 PM   #804
Nicholas Wheeler

Profile:

So I've seen a few iphone screenshots of the games leader-board. Is anyone able to check if the CFG leader-board has a different URL for mobile browsers. Every time I try to load it up with this connection it times out, so maybe I could try a mobile URL. I have no access to wireless data in the middle of the ocean, so I can't find the URL myself, would greatly appreciate someone throwing me a bone.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:36 PM   #805
Russell Berger

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Jenkins View Post
AFT's effort still looked at lot better ROM than the official world record , definately inside the width restrictions. We all know that video entries are always scrutinised much harder than personal judges. Official or not I recognise AFT's effort as the fastest Diane.
It's virtually impossible to make a judgement on ROM in a DL when the camera is positioned in front of the athlete, so you are welcome to consider Brett's score faster but that is one of the many reasons why it is not officially so. There were also specific width restrictions in place for the HSPU standard, and Chris met those.

Brett will have the chance to set an official record in the Canada West Regional, as I believe he qualified and will be doing Event 1 with the same standards as all the other Regional competitors.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:05 PM   #806
Nalin Prabhu

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Berger View Post
... There were also specific width restrictions in place for the HSPU standard, and Chris met those....
Then how come the reps counted when his hands were out of the marked off area?

Not saying it wasn't a beastly effort, but everyone should be judged to the same standards..
Old 05-05-2012, 04:32 PM   #807
Christopher G. Woods

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Berger View Post
Chris, the reason we are calling it a "World record" is because it was performed in official, judged conditions. This is the same standard required for setting world records in any sport for obvious reasons. CrossFit is just applying the same standard.

Not to say that AFT's Diane wasn't impressive.
Russell, the term "world record" is usually used to describe records in events which are contested frequently, such as weightlifting, track and field or statistical benchmarks in sports. I'm not entirely certain whether or not there have been other officiated Dianes in the past, but I know that the other Regional events have never been officially contested before, nor are they ever likely to again. Using the term "world record" to describe the top scores in these events just seems a bit self-agrandizing.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:19 PM   #808
Rob Brown

Profile:

Man, I would never judge.

Here we have the luxury of seeing it through the camera lens, in a nice framed off small picture. Imagine sitting there trying to see an athletes whole form from a foot or two away and keep count.

It takes three OLY judges to watch one snatch, and stuff still gets by. It seems impossible/unreasonable for one volunteer to catch the quality of form at this pace. It would be an interesting experiment to film, then judge rep #'s in a booth after the fact in half speed. You would have your floor score, and a pending 'real' score.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:59 PM   #809
Michael Kelley

Profile:

First, thanks to the volunteer judges that make these events happen. The volunteer nature of the job helps keep the price down for those who want to watch live and in person. They are well meaning, good intentioned people, for the most part.

That said, the judging was poor on that Diane attempt. He was not going too fast for correction. Every NCO and officer in the Army has had to grade people doing fast pushups. It takes less time than the next rep to say "no rep! Need full extension!" It takes less time than the next rep to say "move your hand inside the line!" It's no different that counting pushups, saying "21, 22, 23, 23! Lock out! 24, 25..." Had the judge made the corrections, he likely would have taken only 2-4 seconds longer, which would have still been a blistering effort that CFHQ could call a "world record" without this controversy.

I have not seen the video of the 1:49 effort that some have mentioned, so I don't know if the guy was doing good reps. I do know that the DL reps in the first 21 on this attempt were not to full extension. I wouldn't trumpet this one too much, though nobody will question that Speal is a beast.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:20 PM   #810
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin Prabhu View Post
Then how come the reps counted when his hands were out of the marked off area?

Not saying it wasn't a beastly effort, but everyone should be judged to the same standards..
Read the standards: "The marked area will be 36" wide by 24" deep, and the palm of the hand must remain completely within the area (fingers may extend out of the box)."

By that standard, he was inside the marked area.