CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-18-2012, 08:18 AM   #1
Jamail Sills

Profile:
Starter Olympic Bar

Hello

I have been crossfitting at home for about a month. I am in the process of outfitting my garage. Currently, I have a 1 pood kettlebell $47(amazon) and 200lbs in cast iron plates $60 (craigslist)

I am ready to quit my global gym, but before I do I need to get a olympic bar. I can't spend over $90 on a bar, and this means that I won't be able to drop the weights on the ground yet; and I am completely fine with that. At this time I just would like to do the WODS.

Would it be wise to just get a standard 45lb bar to get started or save for a while to get a rogue bar and eventually bumper plates?

Also, with the right bar, can 45lb bumpers and small cast iron plates (35lb) on the same bar be dropped?

Thanks,

Jamail Sills

Last edited by Jamail Sills : 04-18-2012 at 08:22 AM. Reason: another question
Old 04-18-2012, 08:50 AM   #2
William Hoke

Profile:
Re: Starter Olympic Bar

IMO I would save and get the Rogue Bar, or another comparable with a lifetime guarantee. I look at the bar as the center of any home gym.

Dollars wise look at it this way, bar = $90 but needs to be replaced ~ every 2 years due to bending, breaking, etc. In 6 years you will have gone through 3 bars equalling out to $270. This is the cost of a Rogue bar that is guaranteed for life against bending, collars falling off, etc. So in the end...Rogue bar (or comparable).

Also, take into consideration where you buy it from. Cheap bar from Sears or whatnot, will probably not be to keen on returns, however, if something happens to your Rogue bar, I'm pretty sure they'll take care of you. Just read the reviews on how Rogue treats their customers and you'll understand why they're in business!!

As far as the bumpers and iron plates being dropped...you can do it, but you CAN also jump off buildings with no parachute. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:05 AM   #3
Joey Shishineh

Profile:

x2 on save for a more expensive bar. You WILL regret not getting a bar made for CF abuse. General rule of thumb is to have bumper weight > iron weights. Although I would say dumping 45 bumpers with 35# iron from overhead is pushing it - not something you want to be doing all that often.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:29 AM   #4
Vickie Ellickson

Profile:

IMO if you aren't to the point where you need to drop the bar frequently, get on craigslist and get yourself a used bar that seems to be in decent enough shape to get you going. Should be able to snag a bar for much less than $90.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:19 AM   #5
Michael Loucas

Profile:

If you look diligently, you may be able to find a decent bar on craigslist or something. I got a Texas Power Bar for $20. It had paint on it, but I stripped that off, and it is now my favorite bar. (I use it more than my pendlay bushing bar, I like the more aggressive knurling)
Old 04-18-2012, 10:40 AM   #6
Alex Keller

Profile:

+1 on the Craigslist bar. My brother and I both started on the "Craigslist special" and it is all you need on a tight budget. You won't be able to fully appreciate an expensive bar and I would rather be working out now on a $20 bar than waiting and saving my money for 6 months (or however many) to get an expensive bar. You also will want 1 or 2 pairs of bumper plates so you can work on technique and starting from the proper height. As Joey said, you don't want to be dropping much iron from overhead, even if you have more weight in rubber on the bar. If you are on a Craigslist bar though, you won't have to worry about messing it up, just the bumper plates!

However, your SECOND bar should almost definitely be a nice one. There are a lot of bars that will last for years and years in a home use setting that don't have a lifetime warranty, but it is nice for peace of mind .
Old 04-18-2012, 11:50 AM   #7
Adam Molnar

Profile:

+1 for a decent bar (used or brand new-whatever, just not that cheap shiny brumsticks).
For the time being use a homemade sandbag to substitute....
Also, you can drop iron plates-which I did at the begining, but put a thick rubber pad underneath. I know stall mats are expensive, but I am sure you can find something cheaper. ( and still I only drop bars if I miss a catch or got too heavy to finish. Never drop it because you are tired or lazy to put it down!)

Last edited by Adam Molnar : 04-18-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:49 PM   #8
Jamail Sills

Profile:

Thank you all for the advice