CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-24-2012, 02:42 PM   #41
Andy Gann

Profile:
Re: Training for a half marathon - ideas? critique?

Just thought I would update on progress ... had a long day today - 5 weeks out from race day. I ran 8.4 miles on a course which somebody told me was similar but maybe a touch more difficult than the race course. I completed in 81:20 . That's 9:40ish/mile with a projected 13.1 finish at 2:06:50ish.

My pace is close to the necessary 9:10ish to complete in 2 hours. I've been hitting a lot of interval training with runs, kettlebells, burpees .. just trying to get a good hard 45 seconds to 3 minutes and then rest/repeat and try build aerobic capacity. I don't know if I can get down to 9:10 or not but hey ... I guess I've had fun trying so far!

Thanks for all the advice in here.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:29 PM   #42
Quinn Walkley

Profile:

I just did a half last weekend. I didn't sign up till 4 weeks before with no previous running. I had been doing GLSP 2 times a week since Sept. 2011 and swimming with my masters team 2 times a week about 3000 yards a practice. I began running twice a week starting with 1mile because I run in Vibrams and had to build up the calves to tolerate the pounding. I only got up to 4 miles in training and did not run the week before due to some shin soreness. I kept lifting heavy and added in 3-4 metcons a week mostly with kettlebells and bodyweght work.

I ran it in 2:06.09. It would have been under 2 hours but the first 4 miles were pretty clogged up and even after that we had to dodge alot of people. I thought I could do the last 2 miles in 14 min to be at 2 hours but I ran 8 min in 11-12 and then hit a wall. My hips were pretty sore afterwards but the next day they were fine. It was my feet that took the brunt of everything and it was probably mile 11-12 that did the most damage on them. Did it hurt? Yes! But I did not train properly and probably could have done better. Don't underestimate your speed once you get into the race. You will be amped up and can probably do it under 2.

Good luck, by the way I am 6'3 220lbs.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:33 PM   #43
Andy Gann

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinn Walkley View Post
I just did a half last weekend. I didn't sign up till 4 weeks before with no previous running. I had been doing GLSP 2 times a week since Sept. 2011 and swimming with my masters team 2 times a week about 3000 yards a practice. I began running twice a week starting with 1mile because I run in Vibrams and had to build up the calves to tolerate the pounding. I only got up to 4 miles in training and did not run the week before due to some shin soreness. I kept lifting heavy and added in 3-4 metcons a week mostly with kettlebells and bodyweght work.

I ran it in 2:06.09. It would have been under 2 hours but the first 4 miles were pretty clogged up and even after that we had to dodge alot of people. I thought I could do the last 2 miles in 14 min to be at 2 hours but I ran 8 min in 11-12 and then hit a wall. My hips were pretty sore afterwards but the next day they were fine. It was my feet that took the brunt of everything and it was probably mile 11-12 that did the most damage on them. Did it hurt? Yes! But I did not train properly and probably could have done better. Don't underestimate your speed once you get into the race. You will be amped up and can probably do it under 2.

Good luck, by the way I am 6'3 220lbs.
Thanks for your story. I'm a bit huskier/dense than you at 6-1 and 230# but I'm really trying! I've got 3 more weeks and have an 8.4 miler under my belt. I'm doing exactly what you said with more KB conditioning and I've done quite a few burpees over the last two weeks mixed with DB work interval style. I don't know if I'll get 2 hours or not, at this point, if I do, it's going to be a combination of a few pounds lighter (if I can control my diet) and really really pushing myself the day of the race. I know it's going to suck but if I embrace it, just one time for 2 hours, maybe I can do it ....

I've abandoned my lifting for now and am focusing strictly on intervals, high intensity and one long run per week. Honestly, I am more excited to see my results as a result of my training than anything else. It's my first big black box using my own body as the experiment!

Thanks again - i'll definitely post as I progress .......
Old 04-01-2012, 08:56 AM   #44
Andy Gann

Profile:

The race was today. And my time was .... drum roll please ....

1:59:58!!!!!!

So - to everybody who said it was impossible ... j/k

I know I'm not breaking any world speed records or anything and the time, itself, is average at best but, coming from basically nothing on 1/1 and still standing 6-1, 230# ... it's not bad. None of my long runs were on that pace so I guess I just a little amped up on race day.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:04 PM   #45
Andy Gann

Profile:

Scratch that .. i checked my time prematurely ... My final time was ..

2:00:38! ... missed it by THAT much.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:21 PM   #46
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Well done!
Old 04-02-2012, 11:53 AM   #47
Eric R Cohen

Profile:

nice going!
Old 04-02-2012, 04:58 PM   #48
Andy Gann

Profile:

Thanks guys ... I felt like I gave it everything I had. Miles 11 - 12.5 were practically straight uphill ... without that, I would have broken 2:00 for sure.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:13 AM   #49
Dusty Bratton

Profile:

Congratulations Andy! That is an awesome accomplishment and you should definitely be proud of your quick progress. So the question is now that you've completed the half is there anything you wish you would have done differently in your training? Also any other comments on what worked really well and what did not would be interesting.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:08 PM   #50
Andy Gann

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Bratton View Post
Congratulations Andy! That is an awesome accomplishment and you should definitely be proud of your quick progress. So the question is now that you've completed the half is there anything you wish you would have done differently in your training? Also any other comments on what worked really well and what did not would be interesting.
That's a good question. Considering my quick progress I don't know that I would have done anything different except take a week off and drink beer when my sister was visiting! lol. I think that for me, I believe now that high intensity intervals definitely produce gains in the endurance (aerobic) realm. A lot of my training the last month was KB oriented in intervals. Sometimes I added burpees done as fast as possible but never to the point of having to rest. Much of my training had programmed rest and I am quite sure now that it carries over to endurance more than practicing endurance carries over to endurance ... does that make sense??

A lot of the reasoning for me even signing up for this stupid thing was to test that theory and I can say, for me, it works. Shorter, intense intervals practiced at full, all out intensity really do carry over to long steady distance ....