CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 12-06-2009, 10:13 AM   #1
Liz Stanley

Profile:
Greetings from Minnesota

Hi all, I'm new here and thought I'd introduce myself. I've been a member at a local gym for a few years, attending a 6 am boot camp class there for the last year. It's been good but I'm ready for something different and more challenging, especially from a strength perspective.

I started lifting with the New Rules of Lifting a couple of years ago, and have been doing Starting Strength more recently. I want to be around people who follow the same type of program, and particularly around women who aren't afraid to lift heavy (which I never see at my current gym.) So, I took the plunge and signed up with a local CF affiliate, starting in January when my current boot camp class ends. I went in for an evaluation last week, and will do a couple intro sessions this month. I'm really looking forward to it!

Here are some stats:

Height: 5'5"
Weight: 125 lb
Squat: 125, deadlift: 200, press: 75, bench: 100, chinups/pullups: 10/5. OH squat is a work in progress, as is the power clean.

Other stuff: By day I'm a computer programmer, and outside of the gym I enjoy softball, bird watching, photography, and gardening with native plants. I volunteer for the Raptor Center, and am working on my MN Master Naturalist certification.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:12 AM   #2
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:
Re: Greetings from Minnesota

Welcome aboard, Liz. Hope you find this to as awesome a journey as the rest of us do.

Cheers,

- Mark
Old 12-07-2009, 02:52 PM   #3
Damian Hirtz

Profile:

Hi Liz,

Not sure if you came in to see us or not? Your profile says you are in Bloomington and we are right down the road in Eden Prairie. We are the original CrossFit in Minnesota and have many, many terrific female athletes that love to lift heavy and workout with the kind of intensity that it sounds like your looking for.

Feel free to stop in for a free class!!

You can email us or just give us a call to schedule a time to stop in.

Damian Hirtz
CrossFitMN
www.crossfitmn.com
952-942-1190
Old 12-07-2009, 05:07 PM   #4
Liz Stanley

Profile:

Hey Damian, I already signed up with CrossFitMSP up in St. Louis Park for 3 months, but I'd love to check you guys out too! You're probably closer - I live in SW Bloomington.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:04 PM   #5
Damian Hirtz

Profile:

Feel free to stop in any time. We are on 169 and Valley View. Right on the Edina, EP, Bloomington boarder. Just give us a heads up whenever you wanna stop in. The first WOD is always in the house. :-)

Damian Hirtz
CrossFit Minnesota
www.crossfitmn.com
952-942-1190
Old 12-09-2009, 09:43 AM   #6
Logan Bautch

Profile:

Hi Liz - My wife and I are members at CrossfitMSP in St. Louis Park. She will be happy to have some deadlift competition. There are a lot of females at our box but not many that can DL over 200lbs.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:34 AM   #7
Liz Stanley

Profile:

Thanks Logan, I look forward to meeting you! I am planning to attend the free community workout this Saturday, then I have a couple of sessions of the essentials workshops before I start in January. I'm planning to go 3x a week, WOD on M/F and barbell club on Tuesdays. I'll keep my Lifetime membership and do the remainder of my workouts there. I get plenty of stares there when I do deadlifts, pullups, or anything else you never see females doing at the Globo Gym
Old 12-09-2009, 12:01 PM   #8
Logan Bautch

Profile:

I may see you there on Sat then. I will be at the regular Sat 8:30am class so I'll probably be laying in a puddle by the time 9:30 rolls around. If I don't see you on Sat I will catch you at BBC on Tuesdays...almost never miss that one.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:15 AM   #9
Jon Thorland

Profile:

Hey Liz! I, too, train at CrossFitMSP. Looking forward to seeing you there. I'll be at the open house on Saturday morning also, so feel free to introduce yourself. It's awesome that we'll have another regular attender of barbell club! Have a good one!
Old 12-11-2009, 12:23 PM   #10
Liz Stanley

Profile:

Cool, see you tomorrow then.